• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fantastic WalMart experience

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

gbu28 wrote:
McX wrote:
This is getting rediculous! I read more and more on the forum of the Police rousting the open carrier. Criminals don't relax, eat, and read, while carrying a firearm in public! they don't shop, though they may shop-lift. The Police and beauracrats should see this is their opportunity to regulate, and Tax ($$$$$$$). They should set standards, city by city, county by county, police dept. by police dept, whatever. They should offer us OpenCarriers a means of avoiding conflict. Some kind of card, like one gets when you go to a back stage event at a concert, and a lanyard to wear around our necks. Then a means to qualify ourselves, some kind of training course, to meet their standards of acceptable responsible Open Carry. Fighting against us, rousting us, wasting tax payer time and money is not the answer. You would think that some Chief of Police somewhere would have thought of this by now. I would submit to fingerprinting, a picture, and a weapons/carry class to move forward the right to open carry, and even pay a hefty fee, but I won't submit to heavy handed Police tactics, baiting us in, or claiming false statements to unnerve or fluster us.

WOW. I hope you're being facetious about this.
Yeah, I vote a big NO! on this one. There will be a Revolution before this happens.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

McX wrote:
This is getting rediculous! I read more and more on the forum of the Police rousting the open carrier. Criminals don't relax, eat, and read, while carrying a firearm in public! they don't shop, though they may shop-lift. The Police and beauracrats should see this is their opportunity to regulate, and Tax ($$$$$$$). They should set standards, city by city, county by county, police dept. by police dept, whatever. They should offer us OpenCarriers a means of avoiding conflict. Some kind of card, like one gets when you go to a back stage event at a concert, and a lanyard to wear around our necks. Then a means to qualify ourselves, some kind of training course, to meet their standards of acceptable responsible Open Carry. Fighting against us, rousting us, wasting tax payer time and money is not the answer. You would think that some Chief of Police somewhere would have thought of this by now. I would submit to fingerprinting, a picture, and a weapons/carry class to move forward the right to open carry, and even pay a hefty fee, but I won't submit to heavy handed Police tactics, baiting us in, or claiming false statements to unnerve or fluster us.

Let's say, just for sake of discussion, that all those things you are willing to submit to come to pass.

1. OC's will still be stopped and questioned, "can I see you card?"

2. You will have eliminated the possibility of OC to an entire socioeconomic class.

3. Different standards by county/state/village/township. Do you favor repealing 66.0409?

4. Any training is good, more training is better, but required training?

Scenario: Female being stalked by EX boy friend, to the point where she has a restraining order. He is continually "talked" to for violating the order.

Is it your position that she MUST REMAIN DEFENSELESS until she can get into one of these EXPENSIVE training classes, and pay her $$$$$$ tax?

I must say I CANNOT agree with your statement.

I will say however, that if every law making elected official, at every level (town, village, city, county, state, governor) can cite from memory, every state statute or local ordinance pertaining to firearms in every municipality (town, village, city, county) in the state of Wisconsin, then I would be willing to consider support for repealing 66.0409, but only under the aforementioned circumstance.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is more reason to file the complaints!!!

http://www.livinglakecountry.com/mukwonagochief/news/51309987.html

Home » Mukwonago Chief » News News Consulting firm evaluates Town Police By Amy Nixon
Posted: July 21, 2009
The Mukwonago Town Board recently hired Resource Management Associates to conduct a study on the Mukwonago Police Department. The study concluded that if Police Chief Grant Turner was to remain in his position, he should make several improvements in his job performance. According to Turner, he and the department have made the majority of the corrections suggested by the February 2009 report.
Town Chairman Dave Dubey explained that the town board does not have the expertise to evaluate the police department as far as whether or not they're doing their job.
"We hire consultants to help verify when there is an appearance that there may be issues," he said.
Dubey added that the town board cannot hire or fire an authority like the chief of police. The police commission is the only entity that has such authority, he said. In order to terminate such a position, the board would have to file a complaint with the police commission, who would then make the ultimate decision. Currently, no such complaint has been filed by the town board.
Leadership and supervision The report determines that the Turner does not act as a leader.
"He functions, in fact, as just another police officer and is actually indistinguishable from the officers he supervises," reads the report. "There is nothing in his manner, his conduct or his job performance that suggests he is in charge of the department. There are even reports that he seems to be more interested in taking time off to further his personal interests than he does in advancing the interests of the department."
The report also states that although Turner is regarded as a nice person, he seems to avoid confrontation.
"When faced with a difficult situation, he would rather avoid it and hope it will go away. This has led to the frustration on the part of the employees and the Board of Supervisors," reads the report.
Turner explained that he does not try to avoid conflict.
"I am not a big disciplinarian," he said. "But when discipline needs to occur, it does occur."
Turner also explained that he felt the report implied that he did not enjoy his job.
"I love working as Chief of Police," he said. "I love working for the Town of Mukwonago."
Because both Turner and Lt. Tom Czarnecki work during the day shift, the report states that there is virtually no supervision on the afternoon or midnight shifts.
Turner said that he has been switching his schedule around in order to work other shifts. He said he works second or third shift about once every three weeks.
Accountability to the board According to the report, Turner has often been asked for information by the board which he could not answer.
"(This has) led the board to question his knowledge of how the department operates," the report says.
Furthermore, the report argues that Turner seldom attended board meetings until recently after being ordered by the board to do so.
Turner said that two months ago, the board started having meetings with the department heads each month, which he says helps a great deal as far as communication between he and the board.
Discipline The report states that police officers have not been regularly evaluated in the past. Although Turner says that last year, he and Czarnecki began evaluating the officers, the report argues that there was never an evaluation of Czarnecki and also that Czarnecki had officers evaluate one another, but since there were no real guidelines on how this was to be done, some of the officers felt the process was unproductive.
The report also indicates several instances in which officers were not disciplined as they should have been.
"In one case, an officer was lent a department weapon to fire at the range before purchasing one," reads the report. "Several months later the weapon was stolen from the officer's private vehicle while in Milwaukee. The officer was never disciplined … the Chief of Police stated that he didn't think he had the authority to discipline the officer since he had lent him the weapon … In reality, the weapon should not have been lent to the officer in the first place, and disciplinary action should definitely have been taken against the officer for his negligence in not taking better care of the weapon."
The report also describes a case in which an officer accidently discharged his weapon while responding to an alarm in the Village of Mukwonago.
"Apparently the Chief of Police failed to notify the Board of Supervisors even though he had been specifically told they wanted to know about any incident that could have a liability to the Township," says the report.
Turner stated that he has taken care of everything mentioned in the report except for completing a promotions policy. He has begun working on personnel files and has taken care of all of the policy and procedures complaints mentioned in the report.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

What exactly makes those three different from the others? Just curious.
Is it the level of training? Or is it the fact that they know someone is checking up on them?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Of all the municipal police agencies in Wisconsin, these three are the only ones that have met the requirements and made the commitment to accreditation.

What accreditation means and what are its benefits to the agency and the community you will have to discover by reading the site - why I provided the URL.

My experience with the process was very positive.

Responding to your edit:

No one checks up. It is an internal process and commitment to proven standards.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I see, it is the entire management process, including continuous training from the ground up. Nice, they have to make a commitment to become accredited and the accreditation saves the department money on insurances and even can be used toward defense in civil suits among many other benefits.
Imagine if they cross the line and lose this status, just how much it could hurt thr department and the local government financially.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Without rummaging through the site (I have a calculus refresher video running ) I can't point directly to it, but a commitment is to be responsive to community members like you and I, with particular law enforcement concerns.

One of the first listed 'cases' addressed use of force policies. Wisconsin statute require a policy written by the person in charge. I asked my OIC for his and he sen't me the county sheriff's polich and I haven...dinner

nevinsb

imported post

Just finished the FOI request for the call/radio log and the police incident report. It may take up to 30 days before the records can be released. It will be kind of difficult to file the complaint without them, and I still can't find a form for filing the complaint with the sheriffs department. Is this done right through the PD, or do I need to get these from the DA or somewhere else?

smithman

imported post

McX wrote:
I would submit to fingerprinting, a picture, and a weapons/carry class to move forward the right to open carry, and even pay a hefty fee, but I won't submit to heavy handed Police tactics, baiting us in, or claiming false statements to unnerve or fluster us.
This is very wrong on many levels. If we already have the right to carry openly then why would we submit to fingerprinting, a digital picture, or a exorbitant fee? Because then that would be PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT. Furthermore, I contend that fingerprinting of law-abiding people for carrying guns is a "wolf in sheep's" clothing for those of you who understand.

The police still have some things to learn. Now we can bitch about it all day on this forum, and we will certainly be right, but at the end of the day it is up to US to condition them into upholding the laws they are supposed to know and enforce. We must keep carrying to make sure they understand the laws. EVERY other state where OC suddenly gains footing has the same problem. It is a problem with EVERY law enforcement agency at the start of something new. The state and its employees are not fast movers and take a while to adjust to change.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Timing.

Response must be provided “as soon as practicable and without delay.”
Wis. Stat. § 19.35(4)(a).

1. The public records law does not require response within any specific time,
such as “two weeks” or “48 hours.”

2. DOJ policy is that ten working days is generally a reasonable time for
response, or, if the response cannot be completed within that time, a
communication indicating that a response is being prepared.

3. What constitutes a reasonable time for a response to any specific request
depends on the nature of the request, the staff and other resources
available to the authority to process the request, the extent of the request,
and related considerations.

4. Requests for public records should be given high priority.

5. Compliance at some unspecified future time is not authorized by the
public records law. The custodian has two choices: comply or deny.
WTMJ, Inc. v. Sullivan, 204 Wis. 2d 452, 457-58, 555 N.W.2d 140
(Ct. App. 1996); WIREdata, 2007 WI App 22, ¶ 53.

6. An arbitrary and capricious delay or denial exposes the custodian to punitive
damages and a $1,000.00 forfeiture. Wis. Stat. § 19.37. See Section XIII. of
this outline for further information.

AaronS

imported post

McX wrote:

Yea, you can have my fingerprints... But you are going to have to cut them off first...:what:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AaronS wrote:

Yea, you can have my fingerprints... But you are going to have to cut them off first...:what:

Be, um, careful what you ask for...

salami_fingers.jpg

GlocksRfun

imported post

I gotta get me some sausage and cook it up on the grill. Send a bill to the Sherrifs for $30 saying that's what an hour of your time costs. Or what ever cost you want.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nevinsb wrote:
Just finished the FOI request for the call/radio log and the police incident report. It may take up to 30 days before the records can be released. It will be kind of difficult to file the complaint without them, and I still can't find a form for filing the complaint with the sheriffs department. Is this done right through the PD, or do I need to get these from the DA or somewhere else?

I'll have the information for you shortly.

And 30 days!?!?!?!?! That is rediculous. I say 14 days, that is 10 business days, tops!

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have received the form to file a formal complaint with the Waukesha Co. Sheriff's Department. It is an Excel spreadsheet so I cannot upload it here. Please PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

:dude:

Here's the response that I received with it:

[align=left]Please find attached,a Waukesha County Sheriff's Department Complaint form. If you choose to print/complete hard copy, you may return it to the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department, Attn: Captain Karen Ruff, 515 W Moreland Blvd., Waukesha WI 53188 or you may complete the form online and return via email to kruff@waukeshacounty.gov
[/align]
[align=left]Sue Smith
[/align]
[align=left]Office Services Coordinator
[/align]
[align=left]Waukesha County Sheriff's Department
[/align]
[align=left]262-548-7149 / fax 262-548-7887[/align]

nevinsb

imported post

Well, it gets even better. Apparently I was stopped by a Mukwonago officer who called Waukesha for backup.