Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it better to have a cheap riffle rather than none?

Post imported post

I read very often about how poor a riffle an AK47 is, and that the AR is such a superior weapon. However you can buy 2 AK's for the price of 1 AR. I would LOVE to have an AR (style) riffle, but I just cant get past the price tag. I feel its better to have a reliable weapon you can afford, rather than wishing for one you cant.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    I read very often about how poor a riffle an AK47 is, and that the AR is such a superior weapon. However you can buy 2 AK's for the price of 1 AR. I would LOVE to have an AR (style) riffle, but I just cant get past the price tag. I feel its better to have a reliable weapon you can afford, rather than wishing for one you cant.
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...p;cat=161&

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

Although I did jump on Dunham's Black Friday sale. $279 for a WASR10 Single-Stack.

-Richard-

McX

Post imported post

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

Although I did jump on Dunham's Black Friday sale. $279 for a WASR10 Single-Stack.

-Richard-
    WOW, AWESOME deal on the 599.95 AR15 !!! , thats like 300-400 off regular price, they want to flood the market with them. that's awesome.

if the SHTF the AK-47 is a ok rifle, Very Reliable, but accuracy is not so good.
    AR-15, very reliable, needs to be cleaned regularly and lubed regularly, accuracy is High with open sights , but much much more accurate with a red dot or rifle scope.
    30 round magazine are plentiful & cheap for both weapons , but ammo is not so cheap anymore for either. I got ride of my Yugo, underfolder AK-47, will never part with the AR15 , I am currently working on a AR Build so I will have 2.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

deleted friendly, but nonetheless smart-alecky comment after reflection.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Post imported post

AKs are awesome, ARs are picky pieces of ****

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    Poor? The AK takes a lot of abuse and still fires...the AR/M16/M4 fails...the military has experienced more than a few failures of the M4...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,563883,00.html

No gun if failure proof, but the AK is more reliable in my opinion than any AR/M16/M4 you can find and for half the cost. You can even tactical it up and make it look a lot better than any AR you could find-again IMO.

Post imported post

Armond Reese wrote:
    AKs are awesome, ARs are picky pieces of @#$%
    +1

Post imported post

I have to seriously question any "assault rifle" that needs the addition of a forward assist button to make sure rounds chamber properly. :P

Make mine AK.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    I feel its better to have a reliable weapon you can afford, rather than wishing for one you cant.

Your feeling is correct. If you don't already have a SKS, go out right now and buy one... Seriously...

You can still find them for $200 or so.

Either puta scope on it or a set of Tech-Sights. You will be amazed at what you can hit with it and how far away. If you don't plan to learn how to use the aperture sights, just stick with a scope. Get a decent scope and not a cheap red dot or the $10 telescopic type they advertise for the SKS. You do not have to spend alot. A $35 Simmons 8-point or Blazer will do just fine. With a little practice, at 300 yds you should be able to hit a9" pie pan consistently. That is a deadcritter if you are shooting atanything coyote size orlarger...

Forget about those goofy hi cap mags. 10 rd factory internal mag and your extra rounds on stripper clips will do you well. When you are so good with it that it isn't a challenge hitting anything, then worry about spending 3x as much on a AR.

For all of you AK enthusiasts who are AR bashers, I have a challenge for you. I know that any of your rifles are capable of shooting 4MOA.You can use your AK and I will use an AR. PlaceFive 8 1/2"x11" sheets of paper which each havingfive 1" squares on them evenlyspaced outon the sheet at 100 yds. Each rifleshould have fired 500rds ofWolfammo without being cleaned before the challenge. Let's see who can hit all 100 squares at least once in the shortest amount of time.I promise not to use the forward assist......

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    An AK ? LOL.....the most inaccurate weapon ever made , ok...you and your Buddies AK-47, since you can't afford your own... , against me and MY AR-15 at 100 yards.....

PS. Myself and Interceptor are good friends, we also shoot together on a regular basis. We don't always agree on everything, but then again who does. Competition wise, Interceptor has better toys than me, hands down...but I am trying to catch up:celebrate, thinking about buying a FA toy from Henry late next year.

Glock34 wrote:
    if the SHTF the AK-47 is a ok rifle, Very Reliable, but accuracy is not so good.
    AR-15, very reliable, needs to be cleaned regularly and lubed regularly, accuracy is High with open sights , but much much more accurate with a red dot or rifle scope. 30 round magazine are plentiful & cheap for both weapons , but ammo is not so cheap anymore for either. I got ride of my Yugo, underfolder AK-47, will never part with the AR15 , I am currently working on a AR Build so I will have 2.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Lets see. The AK in one form or another has been in production for 60 years and so far the world has built more over 90 Million of them. Variations of the Stoner design have been in production since 1960 and the best info I have found so far is that there are about 9 million of them.

As for the crap about AR reliability, a lot of that is rumor based on issues when the design first went into the field in the 1960's and most of those problems have been solved for many years.

So lets see. Your choice is between the most produced rifle in history that is so common that even people who know nothing about guns can identify one on sight. A weapon that works in the dirt, without cleaning or high grade maintenance, and that can be repaired by untrained labor in the wilderness using nothing more than basic blacksmithing skills, but is of foreign design. Or a rifle that costs twice as much, is a high precision instrument that is somewhat high maintenance is recognized as accurate by many and is a variant of the US battle rifle.

It kind of depends on your planned use. If you plan to use this in the next war on American soil, you might do better to base your decision on the availability of ammo under battle conditions. If you think we will get invaded, you might want to consider the AK cause that is what the invader may be carrying and your ammo can come from them. If you think it will be a domestic issue, then go with the AR. Or you can get the AR in the same caliber as the AK and have the best of both worlds.

The fact is if you plan to compete get the AR if you just need to toss lead and might on occasion need to reach out and touch someone, get the AK.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Lets see. The AK in one form or another has been in production for 60 years and so far the world has built more over 90 Million of them. Variations of the Stoner design have been in production since 1960 and the best info I have found so far is that there are about 9 million of them.

As for the crap about AR reliability, a lot of that is rumor based on issues when the design first went into the field in the 1960's and most of those problems have been solved for many years.

So lets see. Your choice is between the most produced rifle in history that is so common that even people who know nothing about guns can identify one on sight. A weapon that works in the dirt, without cleaning or high grade maintenance, and that can be repaired by untrained labor in the wilderness using nothing more than basic blacksmithing skills, but is of foreign design. Or a rifle that costs twice as much, is a high precision instrument that is somewhat high maintenance is recognized as accurate by many and is a variant of the US battle rifle.

It kind of depends on your planned use. If you plan to use this in the next war on American soil, you might do better to base your decision on the availability of ammo under battle conditions. If you think we will get invaded, you might want to consider the AK cause that is what the invader may be carrying and your ammo can come from them. If you think it will be a domestic issue, then go with the AR. Or you can get the AR in the same caliber as the AK and have the best of both worlds.

The fact is if you plan to compete get the AR if you just need to toss lead and might on occasion need to reach out and touch someone, get the AK.

Regards
    if we get invaded, it would be by China....and they don't use AK47's anymore , and the weapons they now use, does not fire the AK47 7.62X39 ROUND, so once the AK47 toting thugs waste the 400 rounds of ammo they got, by shooting from the hip in a spraying motion & not hitting anything....what good is the AK47 ? yup, a so so club. yet, the AR15 guys , prefer the aimed, one shot one kill thang..and they normally stock pile Thousand of rounds of ammo, like myself...so a Month after the war starts, which rifle will still be in use ?
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    It kind of depends on your planned use. If you plan to use this in the next war on American soil, you might do better to base your decision on the availability of ammo under battle conditions. If you think we will get invaded, you might want to consider the AK cause that is what the invader may be carrying and your ammo can come from them.
    Unless you plan on Somalia or Ethiopia invading us, you are SOL... Neither the Sovietsnor the Chineseuse the 7.62x39as their primary round......

If you are in a conflict on American Soil, you would be better off with a .30-30, .30-06 or .270.....

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

-Richard-
    Went for the double stack myself.

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    The primary difference between the 2 rifles can be eliminated in only about 10 minutes with a Dremel....

They both start out as the same single stack rifle when they arrive on American Soil. The mag wells are hogged out for the hi cap mags and American parts are swapped in to make them 922(r) compliant. That is it in a nutshell.

Post imported post

this is the new Chinese Main Battle Rifle...the 5.8 mm

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    is a variant of the US battle rifle.
    Not to be nit-picky, but the 'US Rifle M-16' is a variant of the AR-15.

Post imported post

this is the current Russian Battle rifle the AK-74 5.45X39mm

Post imported post

I don't think there will be any invading going on any time soon. I am not one of the Mad Maxer'swaiting for armageddon. I do believe in being prepared just in case some sh*t does happen.:P

Post imported post

WheelGun wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    M-16 came first, then the civilian version AR-15

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    office888 wrote:
    bigdaddy1 wrote:

Enjoy your $599.95 AR15.

-Richard-
    Eh, didn't feel like paying the $70+tax extra.

You can convert the single-stack, to the double-stack with 30 min and a dremel. Whiicch is what I'm going to do promptly, before I even shoot the thing.

And polish all sliding / rotating surfaces. =)

-Richard-

Post imported post

WheelGun wrote:
    Hawkflyer wrote:
    Not to be nit-picky, but the original ArmaLite (Designed by Eugene Stoner) AR-15 was select fire full auto as was the original AR10.Colt bought the rights from Fairchild ArmaLite in 1959. The present day Armaliteis not related to the original Fairchild ArmaLite.Some early M16s were marked AR15 also as the M16 is the US Military designation for the AR15 rifle. All current production AR15s are semiautomatic variants of the original AR15 as Colt used the AR15 designation for both its full auto rifles sold to the militaries of various countries including the USA and for its semiautomatic versions sold to Joe Sixpack......

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

bigdaddy1 wrote:
    I don't think there will be any invading going on any time soon.* I am not one of the Mad Maxer's*waiting for armageddon.* I do believe in being prepared just in case some sh*t does happen.:P
    I'm glad to see this is your view. As you can see one post can bring a lot of people out of the woodwork. Setting aside all the nit picking over history for a moment, the short answer to the question yin your original post is yes it is better to have a well made, sturdy rifle that is safe to shoot then to have no rifle at all.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

McX

Post imported post

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast