• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

carolina guy

They have not done this in years, they do not do it in the Sanford store.The time years ago it happened to me, the clerk put a hand on my arm, when the manager got involved he promptly apologized. This time the clerk grabbed the cart and said she would call LP. If the wife had not complied I would have taken the groceries and left. Then when I complained the managers on duty, not real managers, tried to say that it is Walmart policy and they do not have to follow state laws. That is when the LP got involved and the little guy suffering from short mans syndrome told me if I walk by a greeter he will detain me. Not sure what I would have done if the little POS would have tried to use physical force on me.

I have heard that those recently who voice opposition are banned from Walmart. We will see, no skin off my neck I am never hassled or greeted in such a manner at Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly. Anything other than food I can buy online.

Guess I will have to checkout the local Walmart in Concord and see if they are getting stupid again.

gary737

WW,

Sam's Club checks everyones receipt as they leave. Do you have a problem with that? Walmart must be having theft issues and might be using the same policy as Sam's Club.

I don't know the law, but why can Sam's do it and not Walmart?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

WW,

Sam's Club checks everyones receipt as they leave. Do you have a problem with that? Walmart must be having theft issues and might be using the same policy as Sam's Club.

I do not belong to Sam's, and yes I have a problem with it. If I know beforehand that a business harasses their customers in any way I boycott them. It is clearly against the law to forcibly detain any person for a legal activity.

If Sam's club card holders sign an agreement to allow their search and seizure it is on them. As far as theft NC is very clear that a citizen has to see someone shoplift to detain them. Employees of private business posses NO police powers.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
WW,

With Sam's club, as with other membership retailers, one agrees to such treatment by contract.

Wal-Mart is not a memberhip only entity. Once I pay for the merchandise, it is my personal property.

gary737

I do not belong to Sam's, and yes I have a problem with it. If I know beforehand that a business harasses their customers in any way I boycott them. It is clearly against the law to forcibly detain any person for a legal activity.

If Sam's club card holders sign an agreement to allow their search and seizure it is on them. As far as theft NC is very clear that a citizen has to see someone shoplift to detain them. Employees of private business posses NO police powers.

I would not consider showing your receipt as harassment. When you buy a movie ticket and after you buy the ticket, you approach the the person that rips your ticket in two, do you NOT allow them to rip your ticket because of their harassment?

I don't see how showing a receipt could be considered "search and seizure".

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I would not consider showing your receipt as harassment. When you buy a movie ticket and after you buy the ticket you approach the the person that rips your ticket in two, do you NOT allow them to rip you ticket because of their harassment?

I don't see how showing a receipt could be considered "search and seizure".

I was not entering I was leaving, a person can refuse to supply the ticket and theater can eject them. THEY CANNOT DETAIN THEM. Asking for a receipt is the same as a accusation of stealing, it is also a unlawful search, store employees do not have that authority. The movies is also not the same as exiting a grocery store. Any business can deny entry, for any reason, THEY CANNOT DETAIN.

gary737

I was not entering I was leaving, a person can refuse to supply the ticket and theater can eject them. THEY CANNOT DETAIN THEM. Asking for a receipt is the same as a accusation of stealing, it is also a unlawful search, store employees do not have that authority. The movies is also not the same as exiting a grocery store. Any business can deny entry, for any reason, THEY CANNOT DETAIN.

I was NOT asking if the movie theater can detain you, I asked of you think having to show your ticket that you just purchased, is considered harassment? So asking to see your ticket you just purchased is NOT an accusation of stealing? Replace "gallon of milk" with "ticket", no difference as far as I am concerned.

As far as denying entry for "any reason", would being of a different skin color, race, etc. be allowed, NO!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was NOT asking if the movie theater can detain you, I asked of you think having to show your ticket that you just purchased, is considered harassment? So asking to see your ticket you just purchased is NOT an accusation of stealing? Replace "gallon of milk" with "ticket", no difference as far as I am concerned.
Then you miss the point. One is a violation of contract (theater), the other is demanding proof of ownership (Wal-Mart).

Different circumstances, different laws.

WalkingWolf

Then you miss the point. One is a violation of contract (theater), the other is demanding proof of ownership (Wal-Mart).

You are not going to get through to him, I suspect he is a door greeter or LP for some place that has this inane policy. If he is doing it, he risks his liberty for store policy.

bc.cruiser

The most I have ever done for the WM greeter is to smile and tell him/her that if the scanner alarm activates, I'll then stop. Until then, I'm certain everything I paid for is in the bag. 'Bye.

WalkingWolf

The most I have ever done for the WM greeter is to smile and tell him/her that if the scanner alarm activates, I'll then stop. Until then, I'm certain everything I paid for is in the bag. 'Bye.

If I go back, have not had a reply from corporate yet, I will start throwing my receipts away after leaving the register. If they want to dig through the trash I have no problem with that.

gary737

I think buying a gallon of milk from a store is a "contract". You pay them the dollar amount of what they charge for that item, and you get to leave their store with that item. In this case, a gallon of milk.

solus

gary, you seem to have missed the point WW was making...in your example, the movie ticket is an entrance requirement to watch a movie; not like the receipt for sam's club which is manditory to exit. the sam's clubs i have been in, the exiting traffic is coming, for say 85% a rough order of magnitude, of the customers are departing directly from the cashiers area.

i am positive if these individuals checking customers out, were to watch the crowd and concentrate on those kind shoppers who stroll with their full carts from an area not directly from the cashier's area and then challenge those wayward shoppers in an effort to control losses sams, et al. could speed their customers out of the store quite promptly.

as Grape appropriately pointed out about customers agreeing to the membership policies for the privilege to shop in their emporium(s) - once a walmart customer purchases their items, then it is the customer's property to do with what they want and walmart or any other business for that matter, has no business requesting any further interaction with the store to discuss whatever.

now back to the original concept gary...WW was departing walmart (commercial entity not membership enterprise) and got accosted by the greeter and threatened by the store's LP to be detained who, according to WW, bragged they could 'violate the law and detain someone with no just cause'.

how is this related to entering a movie and an established practice which customers have accepted as the practice of the land verses a new practice to exit a commercial enterprise after you have purchased your items ?

ipse

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think buying a gallon of milk from a store is a "contract". You pay them the dollar amount of what they charge for that item, and you get to leave their store with that item. In this case, a gallon of milk.
IF there are enough conditions to meet the requirements for a contract (which I doubt) - that contract has been completed/fulfilled with payment offered and accepted.

gary737

I guess it comes down to when I am leaving a store and an employee asked to see a receipt, because others are inclined to steal, I am not offended. Others are, and that is up to them.

gary737

You are not going to get through to him, I suspect he is a door greeter or LP for some place that has this inane policy. If he is doing it, he risks his liberty for store policy.

My yearly income is in the top 3% of the U.S., You got me, I'm a door greeter.

Last edited:

carolina guy

I guess it comes down to when I am leaving a store and an employee asked to see a receipt, because others are inclined to steal, I am not offended. Others are, and that is up to them.

This is one of the main reason walmart pulled outta Germany. ..insulting customers by treting them like suspected thieves.

gary737

This is one of the main reason walmart pulled outta Germany. ..insulting customers by treting them like suspected thieves.

So what explains the success of Walmart in the U.S? I guess we in the U.S. aren't so sensitive. I would guess there was more to Walmart pulling out of Germany than simply asking to see a receipt.