• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

solus

WAIT, ain't it illegal to have a gun in NC when we are in a "state of emergency" :banghead::eek:

papa, look at the other thread in nc and asked that question...razor found
the info where it was discussed in the past.

ipse

Last edited:

papa bear

CDT COX

Relaying a story someone posted on another forum I frequent.

M.N.81 said:
I ran in to a "Class A" idiot this weekend.

I was having lunch to celebrate my wife's b-day. This guy comes in to the pizza joint with a Glock 17 in a level III Serpa thigh holster. (It looked like this, http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-Tactical-SERPA-Holster,1179,1416.htm ) He had a badge hanging around his neck on a little chain. I walked up to ask the cashier a question and noticed his badge says Security Officer. Other wise it looks exactly like the badge the city wears. He also had on black BDUs, 5.11 boots, a black wind breaker, and a black ballistic vest. He looked like a police officer getting ready for a raid.

I explained to him that dressing that way and displaying his badge while not on the property he is contracted to work could cause some liability and legal issues. (Hey man, if you have your badge out you could run in to some heat from the police or civil liability issues.) He looked at me and said, "listen civie you might want to read the law before spouting off to superiors."

I said, "Listen to me. It is people like you that make gun owners look bad. You are an agent of the property owner that contracts you. Presenting your badge while carrying like that and dressed in such a manner could be construed as impersonating a police officer. You are presenting yourself, off of your contracted property, in a way that is intended to make the impression that you are a law enforcement officer. I just suggested you tuck that badge. If you want to get pissy, I'll just call a couple of friends to come give you bracelets to match that outfit."

He then got in my face and said, "you don't want to threaten a man with a gun. That kind of **** is bad for your health." He grabbed his order off of the counter and stormed out. As he walked out a pair of cops walked up. Somebody had called in a man with a gun. When they finished with him he was wearing bracelets for impersonating an officer and carrying armed to terrorize the public.

M.N.81 said:
That is how he got the terrorize charge. They came in and talked to the cashier. She pointed me out and I told them what happened.

Wow what an idiot

WalkingWolf

Need a cite before giving the story any credibility at all. And if true how the individual was dressed, or the badge did not matter as long as he is a security guard. While going to the nuke plant the security dress exactly as described in the story. Hopefully the LEA, if the story is true, has their ass sued off. Wearing a security badge is not impersonating a police officer.

WalkingWolf

Now to post the positive. Went to town yesterday and was approached three times and got positive feedback on my carry.

A woman and her husband in Big Lots told me she never saw anybody carry a gun before. I asked her where she was from and she said Florida. I explained to her the law in NC, as I was leaving she told her husband she wished everybody would carry. Maybe she was giving him a hint. In the same store a husband was shopping with his wife in a wheelchair. He stopped to tell me what a nice setup I had. Then a man in Wally World had a half hour long conversation with me about open carry in the sporting goods section.

Another positive note I picked up my Glock 22 Gen 2 today. For a police trade in it looks good. Hopefully Wednesday the wife and I will go to the range so she can test it. The only thing I noticed was how light the trigger pull was compared to a new Glock. I mean it is really light, probably around 3 pounds.

CDT COX

Need a cite before giving the story any credibility at all. And if true how the individual was dressed, or the badge did not matter as long as he is a security guard. While going to the nuke plant the security dress exactly as described in the story. Hopefully the LEA, if the story is true, has their ass sued off. Wearing a security badge is not impersonating a police officer.

Whoaaa calm down there. I'm just the messenger. I was not there. You were not there.

§ 14-277 (a)(2) could apply as a product of vaguely written laws.

Horsegal984

Normally I'd agree whole heartedly, however I do really wonder (ASSuming the story is true) if the answers about 'talking to a superior' and 'talking to a man with a gun' didnt have a lot to do with the impersonating a police officer charge. If the man in the OP didn't agree to being a security officer and instead reacted combatively to an inquiry then I (personally) think he shows the intent to impersonate.

As with most stories I will likely change my thoughts and opinions based on other perspectives of the situation coming to light.

WalkingWolf

Whoaaa calm down there. I'm just the messenger. I was not there. You were not there.

YOU calm down, I did not insult you or even reference you, I spoke to the lack of cites to the article that YOU posted.

carolina guy

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.html

Displays any badge or identification signifying to a reasonable individual that the person is a sworn law-enforcement officer, whether or not the badge or other identification refers to a particular law-enforcement agency;

So...the OP quoted the off-site post:

He had a badge hanging around his neck on a little chain. I walked up to ask the cashier a question and noticed his badge says Security Officer. Other wise it looks exactly like the badge the city wears.

So..the "reasonable" person in the story immediately understood that he was NOT a LEO and that the badge did not indicate that he was LEO? Is he a little gung-ho? Maybe...is he a wannabe? Who knows...

I guess there must be a lot more to the story than was quoted, or as WW said, I think the guy has a pretty good lawsuit (and hopefully payday) in his future. Just too much of not enough information to really know much. ;)

papa bear

CDT, the biggest reason i am taking the story with a grain of salt is, the fact that somebody in NC would stick there nose in where it didn't belong. maybe two hard heads meeting

today i went to Lowes hardware with my grand son. (his Dad works there). i steped out of the truck and took my carry, off the seat and holstered it. my 4 year old grand son said "papa bear why do you carry a gun?". i said because you never know when you are going to need one.
he said "but you are a nice guy"
which i replied NO i wasn't. he argued that with me
i told him OK i might be a "nice" guy, but there are Bad Guys out the and i have a gun to protect...
he said "me". i said you are absolutely right. this seemed to satisfy him and we went on we our shopping

Jamesm760

OCed at Aldis, Dollar Tree, and the Hendrix BBQ in Salisbury, NC with out any comments or looks. Then I stopped by a new gun shop on Main st. in Salisbury called Pistol Pops. I was walking around looking at their pistols and I walked by a guy and girl that were sitting down and the female whispered "oh look hes got a gun" the male said "oh I didn't even notice" and the female responded by saying "well you should be more aware of your surroundings" I giggled.

jtitus07

Went into the books-a-million (or whatever bookstore it is) in Goldsboro the other day. When I Walked in, there was an older gentleman standing near the front door as if to serve as a greeter or something. As I walked in I saw his eyes immediately go to my firearm. I payed no mind to him and kept walking in and after I got a few feet past him. I hear "Sir, do you have a license for that?" to which I promptly replied that I didn't need one, but didn't get a chance to further explain because he chimed in with "Oh, as long as it's not concealed right?", and I replied "Exactly." Nothing more was said and he didn't seem interested in the laws, but more interested in calling me out so I didn't bother to educate him an further beyond correcting him. I thought it was funny that he saw it as soon as I walked in, but waited til I was a few feet past him to say anything, like he wasn't sure if he wanted to speak up or not.

Store was surprisingly crowded and nothing more was said to me.

solus

starving and wasting away, i toddled to McD on 13/117 and entered after a deputy. he glanced towards me as i entered and the deputy kinda coughed up a small hair ball but kudos to him for not saying a word. so I stood behind him awaiting to order, he squirmed a bit.

I ordered and then purposely walked around him and made my way again behind the deputy and stood there awaiting for my food just looking at his back while about arm's length away. He didn't say a word, but his body language was such he was not pleased i was behind him, armed.

you know, all he had to say was hey as he did with other customers and he would have discerned i was innocuous !!

ipse

Last edited:

325rto

geez must be the only one OC'g in the tarheel state...:(

drove up to Raleigh to D&L Parts http://www.dlpartsco.com/ to get a couple replacement parts for the dishwasher that decided to break last night. determined they had the parts so toddled up...walked up to the door and on a piece of paper taped to one of the glass panes was a sign stating:

NO WEAPONS, we don't care if you have a permit or not

so i turned around back to my vehicle and called Glenn the 'regional manager for eastern NC" and advised him to tell his counter person i would not be picking up the parts we discussed. when Glenn asked why i told him. he told me he was sorry but to stow the weapon under the seat...i pointed out that is how the majority of firearms are stolen in NC so i would pass. told him i would be calling someone in the Charlotte corp headquarters and he just said fine.

Called Corp and talked to Dave who answered the phone and asked to speak to someone about their no firearm policy...'it is a corp policy, right?' yes and then i was summarily disconnected from the conversation.

so a letter is speeding to the owner of the 16 location organization, Ralph Brackett, about their mandated GFZ...i'll see what or if i get anything back.

thanks to modern technology i found another appliance parts place close by...CASHWELL and visited their business. while a little apprehensive of returning to goldsboro w/o my dishwasher parts i quickly looked at their door for any indication they also established a GFZ and not finding anything, entered...was greeted by a young man who didn't hesitate to begin the search for my parts...

then to my surprise another counter person, Trey, walked out OC'g a XD...whew. we chatted for a bit and Trey was provided the link to the forum...

guess who is getting my appliance business from now on...Ms Susan Cashwell Renegar, CEO is getting a nice letter as well.

ipse

Great people at Cashwell's here in Fayetteville. They're very helpful and go the extra mile helping their customers.

solus

wandered through lowes, yet again, and there was a middle aged man, dressed completely in black, included ball cap, which his back to me oc'g. the lowes employee, who knows me on sight and who we have had conversations on OC, just looked at the firearm on my hip then his customer's and let out a big grin and went back to discussing the customer's needs.

regret interjecting myself in the their conversation tho to ping the forum but was on a mission to find some wig-it...

more and more in the goldsboro community...outstanding.

ipse

WalkingWolf

Got stopped in Walmart Spring Lake last night. NOT for OCing but accused of stealing a gallon of milk. Got stopped at the door by a greeter who demanded our receipt, when I said no she threatened to call LP. I told to go for it, but my wife buckled. I complained to the managers on duty who were absolutely clueless to the law, as well as the LP idiot. He claimed because it was store policy and private property he could break the law and detain people with no just cause of theft. In fact he told me if we did not stop for the greeter he would arrest us.

Sent a email to Corporate, but from what I have been reading Wally World is back to running off customers.

solus

Got stopped in Walmart Spring Lake last night. NOT for OCing but accused of stealing a gallon of milk. Got stopped at the door by a greeter who demanded our receipt, when I said no she threatened to call LP. I told to go for it, but my wife buckled. I complained to the managers on duty who were absolutely clueless to the law, as well as the LP idiot. He claimed because it was store policy and private property he could break the law and detain people with no just cause of theft. In fact he told me if we did not stop for the greeter he would arrest us.

Sent a email to Corporate, but from what I have been reading Wally World is back to running off customers.

walmart has started that practice in all three stores in the goldsboro area...i just walk by w/o acknowledging anybody at the door. never been stopped...yet! (now you tell me i could get arrested...that would be an exciting adventure for walmart!!)

but of course i wouldn't be stopped by LP as i am a clean, upstanding, good looking, 'middle-aged' gun toting gentleman who is just out doing my shopping...not some vagabond looking gun swaggering scallywag like you :eek:

(and you didn't even give advance notice so i could sell tickets...as i would love be a fly on the wall to see that encounter of you and LP going toe to toe...darn my timing)

call the GM not the manager and insist they review their LP policies with their personnel...especially about 'break the law' and the arrest for going pass the greeter with not so much as...'by your leave'

guess i'll ping the local GM and see what they say about it...nothing ventured nothing gained...

oh where do you wish the bail money sent? oh wait you are posting out here so did you get out on your own recognizance roflmao!!

ipse

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

They have not done this in years, they do not do it in the Sanford store.The time years ago it happened to me, the clerk put a hand on my arm, when the manager got involved he promptly apologized. This time the clerk grabbed the cart and said she would call LP. If the wife had not complied I would have taken the groceries and left. Then when I complained the managers on duty, not real managers, tried to say that it is Walmart policy and they do not have to follow state laws. That is when the LP got involved and the little guy suffering from short mans syndrome told me if I walk by a greeter he will detain me. Not sure what I would have done if the little POS would have tried to use physical force on me.

I have heard that those recently who voice opposition are banned from Walmart. We will see, no skin off my neck I am never hassled or greeted in such a manner at Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly. Anything other than food I can buy online.