• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slide stop...yes or no ?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

The Glock manual states that both methods are fine for their firearms.

I use the slide stop most of the time, but I practice sling shot, as it is imperitive for misfeed problems.

Toot-tooting my own horn here: At the last GSSF shoot in Creedmoore, I had a FTFeed on my G27. Slingshot and returned to shooting. After the string the RO commented on how nice and fluid my recovery was.

It is important to practice both.

Carnivore

imported post

I use the slide stop on my Kahr CW9.. It's a Tool/Machine, not a candy coated piece of Pewter, nothing else I have locks open on an empty mag. But when inserting another full mag, a authorative slap with the palm of my hand closes theslide while chambering a new round..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JJ wrote:
I also have been told (by a friend who is a certified Glock armorer with the DOJ) not to use the slide stop lever due to the wear is causes to the catch notch on the slide.
Using the slide stop to release the slide caused some premature slide wear in early Glocks. There was an outcry and Glock responded by treating the slide stop notch and redesigning the slide stop for increased leverage.

Yata hey

eyesopened

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
It really depends on the gun. For example, my XD does fine with just the slide stop; but my Ruger Mk III prefers that I pull back the slide, drop the stop, then release the slide.
On the ruger, you can easily cure that by removing the spring and detent on the slide stop. This will allow you to "sling shot" the slide like on other firearms.

Justin

imported post

As to the comment on "Sling shotting always works", not necessarily.

I have a buddy with an aluminum frame Kimber 1911. First time I ever shot it I couldn't get the slide to drop to pick up a round on reload, must have struggled with it for 30 seconds or so before he came up, asked for it, and flicked the slide release.

That gun will not drop the slide with a magazine in place, loaded or unloaded,unless you use the slidestop.

Malfunction or design of the light weight kimbers? Don't know. All i know is it can't be sling-shotted to reload.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Justin wrote:

I have a buddy with an aluminum frame Kimber 1911. First time I ever shot it I couldn't get the slide to drop to pick up a round on reload, must have struggled with it for 30 seconds or so before he came up, asked for it, and flicked the slide release.

That gun will not drop the slide with a magazine in place, loaded or unloaded,unless you use the slidestop.

Malfunction or design of the light weight kimbers? Don't know. All i know is it can't be sling-shotted to reload.
Something is wrong with that Kimber, but that doesn't surprise me. :?

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Justin wrote:

Something is wrong with that Kimber, but that doesn't surprise me. :?

Yata hey
+1

It is the magizine follower that pushes the slide stop up to enguage the notch. Once you insert a full mag, the follower is no longer able to push up on the stop, so withdrawing the slide should allow the stop to fall clear of the notch. If it does not then I would be concerned that the stop could engage at the wrong time. Take a look at the manual and make certain that is the proper operation for that firearm. It would be very unusual if it is.

Regards

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The geometry of the slide stop notch is such that it forces the slide stop down when the slide is moved rearward.

Something is wrong, but it ought to be easy to fix.

kito109654

imported post

Kahr Arms pistols will only reliably make it fully into battery if you use the slide stop lever to chamber a round. That's fine by me because it's one handed. I don't like the though of only being able to slingshot the slide because it takes two hands.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can fully manipulate the slide of my 1911s one-handed, including dropping the slide. Granted, even though I practice using the slingshot, I'm sure I'd go for the slide release lever first if I were one hand disabled. But still, it's good to be able to do such things, rather than relying on a single control (slide lever).

You should be able to fully manipulate the slide one-handed. See The Way of the Gun. :p

buster81

imported post

I've got a few different pistols, and small hands. I've found it's easier for me to practice with all of them using the sling shot. I don't need to think about the tool in my hand, and where the slide stop lever is, because I just yank the slide back and let it go. As others have pointed out, the technique may not work with all guns, but it works with all mine.

Gunslinger

imported post

I work the action. It puts more force on the spring and hence more force in chambering the round. I'd use the slide stop only if I had only one hand to work the pistol.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have a Glock 22C. When I practice working the slide while dry firing I use both methods so I have both methods down. I do the same when I'm shooting at the range but usually I sling shot it out of habit.

My understanding of physics tells me that the slide stop mechanism receives no more stress in the forward vector when used to release versus when it is in the resting position of holding the slide back. The only other vector of force is when you thumb it down to release the slide and the energy of the slide spring has little or no effect on it in that manner. I hope that made sense.

With that said, if you are ever concerned about your sidearm chambering a round, then I can see why the slingshot move is more beneficial but I wonder how much force is applied if you rack it fully versus using the slide stop. I am sure it is more but I don't think by much. I could be wrong. It would be nice to hook it up to something that can measure the force using both methods. With that said, either method should be fine.

simmonsjoe

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
I have a Glock 22C. When I practice working the slide while dry firing I use both methods so I have both methods down. I do the same when I'm shooting at the range but usually I sling shot it out of habit.

My understanding of physics tells me that the slide stop mechanism receives no more stress in the forward vector when used to release versus when it is in the resting position of holding the slide back. The only other vector of force is when you thumb it down to release the slide and the energy of the slide spring has little or no effect on it in that manner. I hope that made sense.

With that said, if you are ever concerned about your sidearm chambering a round, then I can see why the slingshot move is more beneficial but I wonder how much force is applied if you rack it fully versus using the slide stop. I am sure it is more but I don't think by much. I could be wrong. It would be nice to hook it up to something that can measure the force using both methods. With that said, either method should be fine.
your physics ignores the human factor. When slingshotting, some people will release the slide while allowing it to drag out of their grip, causing excess friction between the users hand and slide, which may cause a failure to go completely into battery. Alternatively, some people in an attempt to release the slide quickly will unintentionally push their hand forward, causing them not to truely release it until the slide is already forward of the slidelock position, also causing failure to go completely into battery. Obviously some person/gun combinations will make this more/less likely to occur.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
tekshogun wrote:

your physics ignores the human factor. When slingshotting, some people will release the slide while allowing it to drag out of their grip, causing excess friction between the users hand and slide, which may cause a failure to go completely into battery. Alternatively, some people in an attempt to release the slide quickly will unintentionally push their hand forward, causing them not to truely release it until the slide is already forward of the slidelock position, also causing failure to go completely into battery. Obviously some person/gun combinations will make this more/less likely to occur.

Oh yes, I completely agree with your assessment and I did not think about that [human factor] but I was using physics in the "perfect" case scenario where people know how to properly rack their slide. Some people are just afraid to let the gun do what it was designed to do. The manual for my first gun, a Yugo SKS, stated this explicitly. Pull the bolt carrier back and release it and don't ride the bolt as this will potentially cause a round to not chamber properly. Since then, I've always done this, despite my SKS slam firing on me in one occasion.