• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slide stop...yes or no ?

Hellbilly

imported post

FogRider wrote:
My thumb doesn't want to reach the slide stop without changing my grip, so I rarely use it.
Maybe it was designed that way so shooters would use the left thumb after seating the magazine , that way the slide does not get dropped before the mag is in place.?? :D

Hellbilly

imported post

JJ wrote:
I also have been told (by a friend who is a certified Glock armorer with the DOJ) not to use the slide stop lever due to the wear is causes to the catch notch on the slide.

When I bought my first Glock I used the slide stop like I did on my gov`t models. It was the slide stop itself that started showing wear with the area that contacts the slide. The thin stamped metal slide stop of a Glock will not hold up like the machined steel design used by Saint John.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I think it has already been said, but the GLOCK manual says both methods are acceptable.

One of my Glocks has over 7k rounds through it with using the slide stop lever, and there is no/minimal wear on it. Even if it does wear the thin piece of metal, it is only a couple dollars, and replaces in a matter of seconds.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Hellbilly wrote:
FogRider wrote:
My thumb doesn't want to reach the slide stop without changing my grip, so I rarely use it.
Maybe it was designed that way so shooters would use the left thumb after seating the magazine , that way the slide does not get dropped before the mag is in place.?? :D
I Concur. If you have two hands available, it is better to use the slide release with your support thumb. If you use a really far forward thumb grip for your support thumb, buy an extended mag release. (cheap)

Gunslinger

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
I have a Glock 22C. When I practice working the slide while dry firing I use both methods so I have both methods down. I do the same when I'm shooting at the range but usually I sling shot it out of habit.

My understanding of physics tells me that the slide stop mechanism receives no more stress in the forward vector when used to release versus when it is in the resting position of holding the slide back. The only other vector of force is when you thumb it down to release the slide and the energy of the slide spring has little or no effect on it in that manner. I hope that made sense.

With that said, if you are ever concerned about your sidearm chambering a round, then I can see why the slingshot move is more beneficial but I wonder how much force is applied if you rack it fully versus using the slide stop. I am sure it is more but I don't think by much. I could be wrong. It would be nice to hook it up to something that can measure the force using both methods. With that said, either method should be fine.
If you compress the recoil spring more, you create greater potential energy for the forward motion. How much, I don't know precisely, but certainly a significant enough amount to decrease the chance of FTB. If you watch the pros, they never use the slide stop release when the slide is locked back. Every little bit helps, imo.