• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A challenge to the group!

PoppaGary

imported post

This is a good idea...I don't think getting rid of the abandoned vehicles will be a problem, esp if the DNR and/or LE is involved.

I will talk to the wife about making a weekend visit to our friends in Bellingham so I can attend and represent the Southwest Chapter!

Even if that plan fails, I will see if I can make it up that way, but it would be a long trip for just one day.

Gary

jarhead1911A

imported post

I will come cleanup a pit when people start cleaning up the HIGHWAY that WE as OCDO sponsored

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I am going to this because it is close to me. I would help with the highway pick up if it wasn't such a long drive.

It would be nice if more folks would show up to the highway litter patrol too.

tyguy808

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
I will come cleanup a pit when people start cleaning up the HIGHWAY that WE as OCDO sponsored

I would come to the highway clean-up too, if it were closer to me. Also, I work on a boat 2 weeks out of the month and the last couple (since I joined the board) have been while I was crewed up.

The state is not threatening to close I-5, they are threatening to close the North Fork area. Thats one of my biggest draws to this project.

On another note, I spoke to my contact at DNR today. They've given their blessing on this clean-up. There will be some paperwork on my behalf, as the coordinator of this thing, but nothing for the rest of the volunteers.

Jett_07

imported post

I should be able to make it, it is the area that I do a lot of shooting at, and it would be a shame to lose it! And they will close it, just look at what happened to our four wheeling trails up there a few years ago!

Aryk45XD

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Event Info: Gravel Pit Cleanup
)

Date, time & place to meet:
Date:
May 15, 2010
Time: 0830
Meet At:K-mart Parking Lot, I-5 Exit 255

Any takers PM me.
PM sent. I'm in! Save me some food!!!

Poosharker wrote:
If I get a ride count me in.
:::sigh::: ;)

jarhead1055 wrote:
I'm so there if the roads are ever cleared for cleanup. :cool:
:edit to add: I don't think there's been a cleanup since I've been a part of OCDO, but I'll try to keep up the support I've shown in the past.

uncoolperson

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
If things work out, count me in.

If I have someone trying to shoot directly over my head at the hillside on the other side of the road, I might not stay long.

We'll try not to let that happen to you!:D

You're local, do you know where the pit is?

Yeah I know where it's at... busted many cars and trucks up there (I always limped them home), also have done some shooting and grouse hunting that way.

Last time I was there some dude decided to setup targets on the hillside across the road from the pit, he was shooting across the pit at the hillside above the entrance. we moved pretty quick when we saw how he was setting up. (over my head, and over the head of anyone coming into the pit, and anyone on the road... and in the direction of anyone on the road on the hillside [targets were 30 yards from the road on the hillside])

Everytime I've been out there people have had issues paying attention to what's going on around them. I'm not a fan of pondering buying a bullet proof vest so I can go shooting.

years ago one of my old carsgot a bullet hole from some drunken teenager with a supressed .22 up there being stupid in the dark.

tyguy808

imported post

tugboatjohnny wrote:
Will see its pretty far for me. We also are having a new addition to the family May 5th. I thought you worked 8th to the 23rd?

No, we switched in January. So I now work the 23rd to the 8th. Call me if you know if you can make it. You can always crash at my place.

JBURGII

imported post

The Sheriffs Department usually has an AV officer (abandoned vehicle) who can tag the cars for removal, the tow company then gets compensated for the job.

Jett_07

imported post

The gravel pit is out off the Mt. Baker Highway (Hwy. 542). You take a right on the Misquito Lake Road, then drive for a bit until you cross the bridge over the river. The next left is the North Fork Road, and you take that one. It is paved for a little bit, then turns to gravel. You just keep driving up that road until you come to a fork with one going up and one going straight. Just keep going straight(the left of the fork). A little bit down the road there will be a road off to the left, and it leads into the pit.

cdjspider

imported post

Jett_07 wrote:
The gravel pit is out off the Mt. Baker Highway (Hwy. 542). You take a right on the Misquito Lake Road, then drive for a bit until you cross the bridge over the river. The next left is the North Fork Road, and you take that one. It is paved for a little bit, then turns to gravel. You just keep driving up that road until you come to a fork with one going up and one going straight. Just keep going straight (the left of the fork). A little bit down the road there will be a road off to the left, and it leads into the pit.
Ahhh, ok I didn't realize we where talking about that one. I've been out there a few times and it is kind of a mess out there.

skiingislife725

imported post

I'm so excited about this getting set up. My buddy and I go out there to shoot and have been talking about setting something up ourselves. Going to these pits/dumps makes me want to go to Custer instead. I just like being able to practice more realistically instead of in a booth.

Plus I'm a tree hugger. And proud of it. Just don't get why people have to f it all up for the rest of us. Doesn't anyone think about having these areas available for their kids? Well not a dump...but some place to go shooting?

Will try and rally some people from Western Washington University. There is a very non-formal shooting club in the works on their forum (the Associated Students actually said they couldn't make an official one).

heresolong

imported post

Unfortunately I have a conflict that day. Combat Veterans International is sponsoring a golf tournament to raise money for Bridge of Hope House. I am already committed to helping with the tournament, but if it turns out that they have plenty of people to go round, I'll definitely show up. I've only shot there once (it is a hell of a drive, especially since Custer Gun Club is 5 minutes away from my house) but I will say that I did take home all the brass I shot so I feel pretty good about that. Remind as we get closer. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people to do some more cleanup after school gets out in the summer. That could be a weekday for retired and seasonal folk maybe.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Unfortunately I have a conflict that day. Combat Veterans International is sponsoring a golf tournament to raise money for Bridge of Hope House. I am already committed to helping with the tournament, but if it turns out that they have plenty of people to go round, I'll definitely show up. I've only shot there once (it is a hell of a drive, especially since Custer Gun Club is 5 minutes away from my house) but I will say that I did take home all the brass I shot so I feel pretty good about that. Remind as we get closer. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people to do some more cleanup after school gets out in the summer. That could be a weekday for retired and seasonal folk maybe.
Or self employed...LOL..;)

k.rollin

imported post

I'll try and be there for this clean-up event. I've only been out here once so far, but I anticipate I'll be returning in the coming months. I will say that this area is a lot cleaner than the other informal ranges I've been to (with the exception of my parent's backyard), and I'd like to try and keep it that way. I am one of the students from Western that skiingislife725 mentioned in his post too.

tyguy808

imported post

Okay, here goes. Bear with me, because my time is very limited due to my busy work schedule.

The last time I was home, I spoke with Brian Davis (Engineering Dept Head, WA DNR, NW Division, Sedro Woolley). He told me that the DNR has given their blessing. No permits required, no paperwork. All I have to do is touch bases with him the Monday before to let him know its still a go.

If nothing, I will be there with my family.

I am working on coordinating with the Whatcom County Sheriff's Dept. to coordinate removal of "junk" cars. The SO will come up a few days before to tag cars. From there, I am contacting a tow company. If the SO has tagged the cars, they can be hauled to the wrecking or recycling yards. The tow company will then take the $$ from any junks cars, I personally have no problem with this (as long as they don't wanna charge us too for hauling them).

Another note: Mr. Davis said to pass along DNR's thanks for my "gun club's" interest and help.

So, as far as I'm concerned this is still a go.

I was up there on Friday, Feb 19. It looked pretty good up there. Someone has taken it upon themselves to pile up some of the garbage, not remove it, but they did pile it up. There's still a lot of trash. There were 3 cars strewn about, that we can have removed.

Oh yeah, I looked at Google Earth, here are the coordinates: ( 48°53'44.31"N, 122° 6'35.50"W). As you can see this is a large pit. It may take time to get it cleaned up. I think that this is a great project, worthwhile.