• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A challenge to the group!

ProjectWilderness

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
Okay, here goes. Bear with me, because my time is very limited due to my busy work schedule.

The last time I was home, I spoke with Brian Davis (Engineering Dept Head, WA DNR, NW Division, Sedro Woolley). He told me that the DNR has given their blessing. No permits required, no paperwork. All I have to do is touch bases with him the Monday before to let him know its still a go.

If nothing, I will be there with my family.

I am working on coordinating with the Whatcom County Sheriff's Dept. to coordinate removal of "junk" cars. The SO will come up a few days before to tag cars. From there, I am contacting a tow company. If the SO has tagged the cars, they can be hauled to the wrecking or recycling yards. The tow company will then take the $$ from any junks cars, I personally have no problem with this (as long as they don't wanna charge us too for hauling them).

Another note: Mr. Davis said to pass along DNR's thanks for my "gun club's" interest and help.

So, as far as I'm concerned this is still a go.

I was up there on Friday, Feb 19. It looked pretty good up there. Someone has taken it upon themselves to pile up some of the garbage, not remove it, but they did pile it up. There's still a lot of trash. There were 3 cars strewn about, that we can have removed.

Oh yeah, I looked at Google Earth, here are the coordinates: ( 48°53'44.31"N, 122° 6'35.50"W). As you can see this is a large pit. It may take time to get it cleaned up. I think that this is a great project, worthwhile.
Ok, I proposed this at our board meeting last Friday as our cleanup event for May. So we'd help gather volunteers bring a truck to haul out the garbage and any additional support needed with planning, etc. We were short quorum, so voting is delayed, but I'm sure it will pass.

tyguy808

imported post

Thank you, ProjectWilderness.

I do have a request. If anyone has a 1 ton pickup, could you bring it. When I was talking to the SO, they mentioned putting/pulling all the cars to one location for ease of pick up by a wrecker. So, a 1 ton truck and a good tow rope perhaps?

ProjectWilderness

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:

I do have a request. If anyone has a 1 ton pickup, could you bring it. When I was talking to the SO, they mentioned putting/pulling all the cars to one location for ease of pick up by a wrecker. So, a 1 ton truck and a good tow rope perhaps?
I'll be bringing a 4.0ltr 4x4 ranger, towed a WA DNR F250 stuck at a cleanup in the Capitol State Forest during our gravel pit cleanup there. . . not sure if you feel that is sufficient.

tyguy808

imported post

ProjectWilderness wrote:
I'll be bringing a 4.0ltr 4x4 ranger, towed a WA DNR F250 stuck at a cleanup in the Capitol State Forest during our gravel pit cleanup there. . . not sure if you feel that is sufficient.
That may do it. My only concern would be that atleast one car, at this time, is on its roof. The Ranger, while a great truck ( I had a '98 4.0 4 door Ranger), it may not be able to tow the upside-down car(s).

skiingislife725

imported post

I'm planning on driving up in my F350, so if the Ranger can't get it done, then we do have a BUT (back-up truck). It couldn't, however, make it up one of the hills the last time I was there a week ago. Not enough of a run at it and it was just past dark. As I was backing down my back tire got behind a 4" tree stump and I had to hack it down with my knife. lol That was fun. Especially when, in the process, my two spare mags fell out. Didn't realize that until I was past Deming on the way back to Bellingham. Had to go back the next day...what a shame.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
Hmm, will this be an OC event as well ?

Yes.

In fact, since we will also be shooting (outdoor activity) a bit, an 18 year old will be able to OC his/her handgun proudly. On the way to, and during.

I believe the law allows 14 and up? I know for sure an 18 yo would be able to...

Matt85

imported post

i might be able to help, but id need a ride or gas money to make it. i drive a 1980 GMC 1/2ton which could help move stuff but would also cost me an arm and a leg to drive the 140 mile round trip.

if any one is passing threw Everett and doesnt mind another passenger lemme know.

-matt

amzbrady

imported post

ProjectWilderness wrote:
tyguy808 wrote:

A truck with a winch and a snatch block would be your best bet. Thats what we use for recovery out here at the tow company I work for.

tyguy808

imported post

Okay guys and gals, I was up at the 1100 pit on Saturday. I left there very aggravated because I WATCHED some clown shooting at gas cans, starting fires and being generally negligent. I watched another party shooting at propane canisters very recklessly, in fact 2 of the small canisters landed within 50 feet of me and my shooting party.

On a more positive note the vehicles in the area were removed in the last few weeks. I ran into DNR one afternoon up there and had a nice chat about our plans and theirs to remove the cars, I have called off the towing company. Sadly, the DNR said that in light of our plans (they had heard of from their boss, my contact) that they would not be arranging any clean up regarding trash until late in the summer.

I looked arounf the pit and found that while the vehicles are gone the small garbage is piling up. There are now several old computers, a few TV's and lots and lots of other small "targets". I think it'll be a few runs to the dump, or atleast a few truck loads.

So, when I get off the boat on the 8th I will be making a run to Costco to get burgers and soda for the group. I can feed up to 50, but will need an accurate head count by the 8th, so I can shop appropriately. Also, I will be bringing trash bags but you are welcome to bring more. As far as hauling, I would like to ask for your guys' help getting all the trash to the dump, I think about 2-3 trucks in addition to mine would do the trick.

Any other ideas?

uncoolperson

imported post

I'll be there with a subaru brat... I can haul away whatever fits in the bed safely without overloading the poor little truck.

k.rollin

imported post

I still plan on being there and have reminded the people at WWU who are a part of the school's informal 'club' of this event to try and rally them to lend their help.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The Ammo Wizzard
We also tested the medium size Nut Wizard in picking up spent shotgun shells and it worked perfectly for all sizes . Exact same procedure, No Bending - Easy to Empty -No damage to shell - Very Easy To Use.

Video: http://www.thenutwizard.com/_fileCabinet/Nut_wizard_Cable_Commercial.wmv

ammo_wizard_small.jpg

http://www.thenutwizard.com/ammovideo.html

tyguy808