• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW Washington (Vancouver) OC report

Mech

imported post

Just came back from Izzy's on Mill Plain; took my brother there since mom was being lazy and wanted to stay home :p

Nothing out of the ordinary; got a few surprised looks but that's to be expected. When I was getting salad, this lady and her daughter moved from my strong side to my weak side, then I heard "omg he's got a gun"; that's the first time I've gotten that response, although her tone wasn't scared, sounded like she just noticed it and was telling her daughter.

So I looked over, smiled and said hi, and she asked me if I'm an LEO, I said no, but the open carrying of a legally owned pistol is legal in the state of Washington, and she said "wow, my husband has a gun too but he doesn't carry it like that. You do it for self defense right?" I replied "Yes ma'am." To which she replied "Good for you!"

And at this point, her husband approached from my strong side and also said to her "hey he's got a gun", to which she replied "I know, I've already asked him about it", he then went "Oh cool!" I told him it's legal here WA where not prohibited and he should try it out sometime, then bid them good day cuz my steak was ready :D

My brother said quite a few people were watching as I was going about getting my food, but no one complained (that I saw/heard), no cops were called, and no managers came to talk to me. Overall a pretty darn good OC'ing experience in this otherwise rainy and gloomy weather :)

USMC1911

imported post

Just got back from OC'ing at WINCO on Andreeson and Fred Myers on Hywy 99. No problems at freddy's, WINCO was packed and some one turned me into the management, checker girl asked if that was "real". Yes maam it is, I replied, she asks is that for self defence, I say, Yes Maam it is. I go on explaining how Wa St is an OC state. She is called 3 times as I am checking out. No one stops me or asks any more questions. So I go to my truck and drive away. All is good. :lol:

PS: I ran into my first OC'er at Fred Myers. Nice young man, clean cut, asked him how long he had been OC'ing and shook his hand. Outstanding !

Mech

imported post

OC'ed today at Wally-World on 192nd Ave. Got all but ONE "OMG is that a gun I can't believe he has a gun on him" look from a woman; I just tipped my hat and kept walking.

Actually, when I was at the cashier's stand, I saw a group of Wal-Mart executives (ID'ed by their tags and business suits? lol) walk right past me; they just smiled and nodded and I returned the favor.

USMC1911

imported post

6-17-10 OC'ed in Vancouver Wa.

1. WINCO on 99th - No problems, interesting side note, at the check out, the woman in front of me was in a wheel chair with a small infant, I offered to bag her groceries for her while my wife was paying for ours. My wife told me on the way out that the cashier stopped and watched me the whole time I was bagging that ladies groceries, paying particular attention to my 1911 (in full view). Cashier lady told my wife what a gentleman I was and to tell me so. Made me feel good.

2. WalMart on 99th - No problems at all, no one took any notice of me.

3. Fred Myers on 99th - No problems at all, no one took any notice of me.

4. Krispy Kreme on Andreeson - Cashier lady was visiblytaken aback, but made no comment or asked me anything.

Good day OC'ing in Vancouver Wa. :celebrate

Mech

imported post

Had my first "why do you need a gun?" today...from a child! Here's the story:

took my little brother to Old Country Buffet on 4th plain for dinner tonight. As we were sitting there eating, this boy walked past to grab food; upon his return he walked right past where I was sitting, stopped and stared at it, his eyes opened so wide I was afraid they were going to fall out :p

He asked me "why do you need a gun?" I just smiled and replied "for personal protection." And he just went "wow...." and left.

Later he walked by a few more times, dragging his little brother and pointing at it and said "See? It's real!" I just smiled at them and off they went.

Later, as I was getting some more food, I noticed the manager approaching from my weak-side. He came up to me, smiled politely, and the following ensued:

Mgr: Hi there, do you need a license or permit for that?
Me: No sir, open carrying of a legally owned firearm in the state of Washington is legal
Mgr: Oh! Open Carry, right? (he actually smiled when he said that)
Me: Yes sir.
Mgr: I see. Well, I'm only asking for the sake of a few patrons that were concerned. I guess they were just awed by the sight of a firearm. I personally don't mind it, but unfortunately, firearms seem to be interpreted differently now a days than they were in the past.
Me: Yeah, that's unfortunate. But I'm glad you have no problem with Open Carrying.
Mgr: Not at all. Far as I know we don't have a policy against it or anything. Please enjoy your meal and the rest of your evening.

And that was the end of it. The boy walked past a few more times but he seemed to have stopped being awed. I liked the way the manager approached me: from my weak-side, and obviously did not want to cause a scene (or put on a display of asking me loudly about OC'ing in-front of hopeful-gun-fearing patrons).

Besides a few raised eyes and those 2 encounters, nothing else. The gal at the greeting counter was as cheery as ever, and no other employees even raised an eye at my OC piece.

Overall, a pretty good experience. The boy's reactions definitely made me chuckle. No cops were called, and I had the chance to educate the manager on the legality of OC. A pretty good day, I'd think :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excellent, that means that more and more people saw that OC is normal, non threatening and that a business has no issues with OC. Those people that saw a normal looking guy with kids around have something to think about tonight and something to talk about with their friends!

Mech

imported post

Agreed. Although my "little" brother, who is 5 years younger than me, is actually 6'3 and weighs 260 lol~

Maybe us OC'ers around Vancouver/SE WA can meet up at some point at Old Country Buffet? :D

Mech

imported post

Eh, I'm actually heading down to Commifornia tomorrow for a week. But we can see the following week :)

Phssthpok

imported post

How about Sunday the 27th?

I should be in town for my last trip of moving stuff to Montana that weekend.:)

Phssthpok

imported post

I could hang out a day or two. I just figured a weekend day would be easier for most people to schedule.

USMC1911

6-25 OC'ed in Vancouver WA.
1. Napa on HWY 99 - No one took notice.
2. Cost Less Auto Parts on HWY 99 - No one took notice.
3. Shucks on HWY 99 - No one took notice.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
6/27 Bagley Downs Albertsons

I was down in Vancouver Sunday afternoon to visit with my parents. On my way out of town I stopped by the 'scene of the incident' to get a soda for the road. I parked on the side of the lot nearest the martial arts studio and walked up to the sidewalk and then into Albertsons. No issues. And the weather was perfect!

:cool:

Phssthpok

6-25 OC'ed in Vancouver WA.
1. Napa on HWY 99 - No one took notice.
2. Cost Less Auto Parts on HWY 99 - No one took notice.
3. Shucks on HWY 99 - No one took notice.

You're not going to get much reaction at Cost Less...They're used to seeing me in there and I've had at LEAST a half hour Q&A conversation with the four guys behind the counter and gave them all pamphlets.

I always get great service there!

SargentMac

New Guy

Hey guys, I've just been checking out the OC friendly places in Vancouver and found your thread. Thanks to all of you, this is great information to get out. Sounds like i've OC'ed a few of these places already (Safeway on a regular basis). I saw that you guys are thinking about a meet-up. I'd love to join you all if that's alright.

USMC, sounds like you may live near me. Are you over in Hazel Dell?