• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW Washington (Vancouver) OC report

SargentMac

07/06/10 - OC'ed at Skipper's on Hwy 99 & 68th in Vancouver. An elderly couple pulled up right behind me and watched me get out of my car and walk inside. The manager sees me at least once a month so he didn't make any mention of the gun. The elderly couple came in and I had already ordered my to-go meal when they walked up to the counter and ordered. The woman walked back and started grabbing the little cups of ketchup and said hello. The man joined her, looked at me and cocked his finger toward my Beretta and said,"Nice piece." I thanked him and they went to their table. Took my order and left.

Drove across the street to 7/11 and grabbed a Slurpee for the wife. The guy clerk who was cleaning at the Slurpee station walked past my strong-side and said hello with a genuinely nice smile. He was the guy who took my money. As I was walking out, the woman behind the counter was watching me. I saw her staring at me through the window as I got into my car and pulled away.

All together a good experience both places.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
so we went to Wholesale Sports on 4th plain here in Vancouver, WA. Removed my magazine and unloaded the gun (as per suggested here on the board) but kept my magazine in my pocket.

What thread is that ?

Old Country Buffet on 4th plain for dinner tonight.
FYI - Corporate policy for OCB is only LEO's - however many managers turn a blind eye.

JOESEEB

Hey guys!!! I live on 18th near Fort Vancouver High School. Ive open carried in to a few places but since i got my CPL I don't O.C. much anymore. I've been in K-mart when it was still here with no problems, Albertson's on 4th plane once (before the OCers got arrested there) Costless twice, Arco on Andreson, sportsman's (when they where and after). never had any problems with any of those places. I absolutely will not OC in to alberson's because of the two OCers that got arrested there.

I have to talk with my wife but I might be up for a meet and greet.
I'm 26 but I don't usually get along with anyone under 30 as most of the people i know that are under 30 don't have kids and still like to party it up. I on the other hand have 2 kids with one on the way and I don't do any form of drugs (OK i smoke Cigarette's) or drink. I stopped partying about 6 years ago and started focusing on my family and self protection. Because of this i don't have many friends OK i really only have two friends both of which are CC and occasional OCers. One of them i met on this site. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Stay safe and stay armed or is it stay armed and stay safe.

SargentMac

Hey guys, I asked because I'm 25, and don't seem to see many people around my age interested in OC or who understand that when it comes to gun rights (and other rights I guess), it's use it or lose it.

Joe, I'm the same way you are. I've never been a partier, I'm married with a 9 month old son, and most of the people I know just don't understand a desire not to be a screw-off.

USMC1911

So, When and Where ? Let's do this, a meet -n- greet sounds good, let Vancouver see that there are quite a few of us OC'ers. I work the weekends, but am available after 4 pm. Let's have some input and get this thing rolling !

Semper Fi

Bill Starks

State Researcher
There are a few of us folks from the Puget Sound area that would make this meet as well. Be sure to make a new thread with the date / time / location info.

SargentMac

Hey guys, this thread certainly slowed down for a couple days. I'm usually open to meet up Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evenings. I'll be in Seattle this Thursday evening, returning Friday afternoon. What is everyone else's schedule looking like?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
SW Wasington...

Ok guys a couple of updates and thoughts:

1) Kurt Kirby's trial date is on Monday July 19th. M1Gunr and myself are not able to attend. It would be great if someone in Vancouver can attend and report back. I have met with Kirby and also have posted his 911 recording and the VPD police reports. I would say that it looks very good for Kirby.

2) We have had quite a bit of talk in the Seattle/Tacoma area of wanting to do a picnic in Vancouver before the end of the summer, possibly as late as mid September. What is the SW WA OC contingents thoughts on a picnic?

SargentMac

Ok guys a couple of updates and thoughts:

1) Kurt Kirby's trial date is on Monday July 19th. M1Gunr and myself are not able to attend. It would be great if someone in Vancouver can attend and report back. I have met with Kirby and also have posted his 911 recording and the VPD police reports. I would say that it looks very good for Kirby.

2) We have had quite a bit of talk in the Seattle/Tacoma area of wanting to do a picnic in Vancouver before the end of the summer, possibly as late as mid September. What is the SW WA OC contingents thoughts on a picnic?

As far as the Kirby trial, I will unfortunately be working graveyard the night before and the night after, and watching my kid in between. I doubt I'd get enough sleep, and I doubt a 9 month old would be a good accessory at a trial. Here's hoping Kurt the best.

Regarding a picnic, I'm game for it. I can probably (contingent on a transport vehicle) bring my gas grill. If we can get a rough estimate of how many people, I can start looking around for a venue. Vancouver Lake Park comes to mind. I just checked the park rules and they state "Discharge Of Firearms" is prohibited, but mentions nothing of possession. They have a very nice covered picnic area. Maybe we should create a new thread for this one?

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As far as the Kirby trial, I will unfortunately be working graveyard the night before and the night after, and watching my kid in between. I doubt I'd get enough sleep, and I doubt a 9 month old would be a good accessory at a trial. Here's hoping Kurt the best.

Regarding a picnic, I'm game for it. I can probably (contingent on a transport vehicle) bring my gas grill. If we can get a rough estimate of how many people, I can start looking around for a venue. Vancouver Lake Park comes to mind. I just checked the park rules and they state "Discharge Of Firearms" is prohibited, but mentions nothing of possession. They have a very nice covered picnic area. Maybe we should create a new thread for this one?

yes we will start a new thread once we get a couple of things thought out....

vancouver lake is good, but we were thinking right in the city...Ester Short Park

SirCastic

yes we will start a new thread once we get a couple of things thought out....

vancouver lake is good, but we were thinking right in the city...Ester Short Park

Esther Short would be a good location, right in the heart of downtown, and close to home ;)

The Starbucks at the North end is very friendly. I've been in there a few times OCing and one of the girls behind the counter asked why I carried. I told her bad neighborhood, personal protection. She then let me know how she got her boyfriend into guns and fishing...what a sweetheart.

Set the date, if I'm in town I'll be there.

joejoejoe

Question about Vancouver, WA Open Carry

I live here in Vancouver, and I own a Ruger hammerless revolver for CC. It is the most uncomfortable gun to CC, but I bought it because I felt it was the safest, yet most effective, gun to carry (i.e. no hammer catching, no falling shells, no jams, no cocking - for the wife, and the safety is "do not pull the trigger."). I have heard tons of great stories about OCing here in Vancouver. I actually worked at the Hollywood video right next to Safeway on 63rd and Andreson and shopped there all the time. I always wondered if they would care if I OC in there. Anyways, my question is this: Has anyone encountered a police officer while OCing? Also, has anyone gone INTO the Vancouver Mall while OCing? I know it is legal to OC, but the vast majority of the public doesn't. They are likely to assume you are an officer OR they will likely freak and call the cops (like what happened outside the Van mall). I really want to OC, but I don't carry into stores. I carry walking up and down the street because my wife and I go walking from time to time and I don't feel as safe as I do with my gun than without, but it is very annoying to have to put a jacket on and tuck my gun under everything just to go for a stroll. That is why I asked about the officer encounter. I will like not encounter an officer in a private store, but I will more likely encounter one walking up and down the streets.

Since this seems to be a good threat about a gentleman OCing in Vancouver, I was just wondering.

Thanks,
Joe

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Well....

It's legal. How comfortable are you with the RCW's and the 4th/5th amendment? Yes I have OC'd in Vancouver, on the sidewalk next to the courthouse. If you present yourself in a professional, polite, courteous manner and act as though you belong you will have no issues.

If you shop at a certain location all the time, that is a great place to start to OC as your face is familar and they will likely not even notice.

As far as the mall (and costco and movie theatre's), when you plan to be at a place like these 3 for several hours and they have policy's against firearms I find it best to CC in these places. However, I very loosely CC and not much is said.

Keep reading the forum, there are lots of great suggestions and ways to prepare yourself. Many of the national company's allow OC/CC as per state law.

I live here in Vancouver, and I own a Ruger hammerless revolver for CC. It is the most uncomfortable gun to CC, but I bought it because I felt it was the safest, yet most effective, gun to carry (i.e. no hammer catching, no falling shells, no jams, no cocking - for the wife, and the safety is "do not pull the trigger."). I have heard tons of great stories about OCing here in Vancouver. I actually worked at the Hollywood video right next to Safeway on 63rd and Andreson and shopped there all the time. I always wondered if they would care if I OC in there. Anyways, my question is this: Has anyone encountered a police officer while OCing? Also, has anyone gone INTO the Vancouver Mall while OCing? I know it is legal to OC, but the vast majority of the public doesn't. They are likely to assume you are an officer OR they will likely freak and call the cops (like what happened outside the Van mall). I really want to OC, but I don't carry into stores. I carry walking up and down the street because my wife and I go walking from time to time and I don't feel as safe as I do with my gun than without, but it is very annoying to have to put a jacket on and tuck my gun under everything just to go for a stroll. That is why I asked about the officer encounter. I will like not encounter an officer in a private store, but I will more likely encounter one walking up and down the streets.

Since this seems to be a good threat about a gentleman OCing in Vancouver, I was just wondering.

Thanks,
Joe

SirCastic

I have heard tons of great stories about OCing here in Vancouver.

See my thread about being stopped, not the best experience, but far from a deterrent. VPD's West Precinct seems to be the biggest a-holes when it comes to open carry, especially around Fourth Plain/Clark College area. Been stopped twice in that part of town, which is exactly the part of town that I want to be carrying in.

Keep carrying and watch the forums for other people's experiences, I've learned a lot from them in a very short period of time. The 2nd stop is much easier than the first, and as mentioned, carry yourself professionally, look responsible and you'll minimize your negative encounters. If you look like fitty-cent and are packing, well, I can't say I would blame a cop.

Hope to see you around town