• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok so we can open carry Pistols but what about rifles?

AaronG

imported post

but for real i had no idea you could carry a weapon loaded in ohio. at least at first i wont carry it loaded till i get comfortable doing it and get the police around here to know me. then once that's done say half a year after i start carrying i will start carrying loaded

AaronG

imported post

HankT wrote:
AaronG wrote:
HankT wrote:
AaronG wrote:
ok thats fine and dandy but i still never said i wanted to carry my ar while loaded. dont put words in my mouth. i came here for info and now im getting people like OHH HES GONN CARRY A LOADED AR!!!!!!!11111

No im not and i never will carry a loaded ar in public. it is more for a statement than anything. and when i do i probbly wont even have a mag with me.

So quit putting words in my mouth. god this is why i hate asking for info on forums. you get morons on here who blow every thing out of proportion.

Have you carried a gun (any gun)before?

How old are you?
i am old enough to cary a weapon in ohio considering the cary age is 18. no i have never carried a weapon before but have been gathering much info so i know the laws and what to do if i get stopped. from what i gather if a cop stops me without a damn good reason they are breaking the law.

Well, it is certainly a good strategy to gather information and to learn the rules/regs.

Do you have a concealed carry permit/license?
no. and i never will get one. i do know that your weapon can not be loaded while in a vehicle so when i get in and out i will need to load and unload it

poddus

imported post

AaronG wrote:
no. and i never will get one. i do know that your weapon can not be loaded while in a vehicle so when i get in and out i will need to load and unload it

You'll need to unload your 40 round magazines too because loaded magazine = loaded weapon according to the ORC ... which is one of the main reasons why people get CCWs even if they only open carry. it keeps you from having to do the magazine shuffle every time you get into & out of a car.

Instead of this:
at least at first i wont carry it loaded till i get comfortable doing it and get the police around here to know me

maybe you should get the gun and do some shooting with it first. get acquainted with it. fully understand how and why guns do NOT spontaneously shoot themselves and how carrying a loaded gun is not a big deal. Guns demand a respect from the owner that can only really be gotten by their use. take a safety course. do anything to prepare yourself. above all, have patience. Guns are the subject of an incredibly charged public debate and if you haven't prepared, things can go wrong fast. know your stuff. I honestly think that you should wait until you calm down a bit before you go out and get yourself into a situation you can't control. Then, once you're more prepared, by all means, exercise your rights.

However, as I've made clear before, it's all legal. use your own judgment. please, actually use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dE4UgY7lgI

AaronG

imported post

poddus wrote:
AaronG wrote:

You'll need to unload your 40 round magazines too because loaded magazine = loaded weapon according to the ORC ... which is one of the main reasons why people get CCWs even if they only open carry. it keeps you from having to do the magazine shuffle every time you get into & out of a car.

Instead of this:
at least at first i wont carry it loaded till i get comfortable doing it and get the police around here to know me

maybe you should get the gun and do some shooting with it first. get acquainted with it. fully understand how and why guns do NOT spontaneously shoot themselves and how carrying a loaded gun is not a big deal. Guns demand a respect from the owner that can only really be gotten by their use. take a safety course. do anything to prepare yourself. above all, have patience. Guns are the subject of an incredibly charged public debate and if you haven't prepared, things can go wrong fast. know your stuff. I honestly think that you should wait until you calm down a bit before you go out and get yourself into a situation you can't control. Then, once you're more prepared, by all means, exercise your rights.

However, as I've made clear before, it's all legal. use your own judgment. please, actually use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dE4UgY7lgI
i am not going to be carrying around 40 rd mags with me at any time except when i go to a range. plus i dont even know if i will get anything over 30 rounds because when you think about it you really dont need that much ammo with you. no i will not be taking any firearm classes simply because i dont want to spend the money on them. i will learn as i go.

xD.45Service

imported post

Dont want to take classes becuase you dont want to spend money?

Heck, look in the paper there is almost always some sort of free gun safety course.

If you haven't had proper instruction- not saying you're a moron- a safety course is by all means in your best interest.

AaronG

imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
Dont want to take classes becuase you dont want to spend money?

Heck, look in the paper there is almost always some sort of free gun safety course.

If you haven't had proper instruction- not saying you're a moron- a safety course is by all means in your best interest.
its not hard to learn how to use a weapon.

poddus

imported post

AaronG wrote:

it also isn't very hard to get into deep @#$% while carrying around a weapon you don't know how to use.

you're a cocky kid. maybe you SHOULD just go out there right away, it might teach you a valuable lesson or two.

1245A Defender

imported post

poddus wrote:
AaronG wrote:

it also isn't very hard to get into deep @#$% while carrying around a weapon you don't know how to use.

you're a cocky kid. maybe you SHOULD just go out there right away, it might teach you a valuable lesson or two.

dont forget your dangerous ordinance permit and your 40 round mags!

how old are you?? about 16?? youve got your rights! right? even got a gun?

if you want to get the hastle of a MWAG call save your money and just get an AK 47... make sure it isnt loaded so it doesnt just go off...

AaronG

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
poddus wrote:
AaronG wrote:

dont forget your dangerous ordinance permit and your 40 round mags!

how old are you?? about 16?? youve got your rights! right? even got a gun?

if you want to get the hastle of a MWAG call save your money and just get an AK 47... make sure it isnt loaded so it doesnt just go off...
im old enough and thats all you need to know. a dangerous ordinance license will be gotten later in life when i start shooting more and have the need for more ammo. plus its not hard to get at all. in fact its probbly easer to get then an CCW. are you people trying to intimidate me? because its not working. also you can learn a great deal from reading and talking to other people.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AaronG wrote:
xD.45Service wrote:

You're wrong, AG.

Learning how to use a gun, in our society of laws,at a level of appropriate level of responsibility and maturity,is very difficult.

You are not showing any indication that you are up to the task, fella.

AaronG

imported post

HankT wrote:
AaronG wrote:
xD.45Service wrote:

You're wrong, AG.

Learning how to use a gun, in our society of laws,at a level of approapriate level of responsibility and maturity,is very difficult.

I have had training in AR (M16 Style) Rifles. how hard would it be to apply what i have learned there to a pistol? i guessing not very.....

poddus

imported post

AaronG wrote:
I have had training in AR (M16 Style) Rifles. how hard would it be to apply what i have learned there to a pistol? i guessing not very.....

I'm done with this. Time for some ban-hammering IMO

AaronG

imported post

poddus wrote:
AaronG wrote:

I'm done with this. Time for some ban-hammering IMO
good im done with this to. Topic closed (not really though)

Fehrmann69

imported post

If you read the ORC on automatic weapons and dangerous ordanance you will find that it reads somewhat like this. (You can read the law yourself by GOOGLING Ohio Revised Code.)

A gun that has been constructed or modified to fire more than 31 rounds without reloading is considered to be an automatic weapon.

An automatic weapon is a 'Dangerous Ordinance'

Any device (read this as large capacity magazine) that can be used to make a weapon an automatic weapon is a 'Dangerous Ordinance'

Therefor, just the posession of a magazine with a capacity of greater than 30 rounds, puts you in the position of having 'Dangerous Ordinance', without a licence. I am not sure about the penalties, but having an automatic weapon without the proper paperwork can carry a mandatory 10 years in prison.

Ohio needs to redefine what an automatic weapon is. One that fires more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger. However, until they do they can use the law, as written, to hassle the hell out of you.

theqbn

imported post

Fehrmann69 wrote:
I am not sure about the penalties, but having an automatic weapon without the proper paperwork can carry a mandatory 10 years in prison.

That's the federal penalty for violating the NFA, which doesn't apply here. There is absolutely nothing stopping anybody from buying or selling 31+ round magazines at a gun shop or gun show right here in Ohio and frankly this law should continue to be ignored... why give any credence to something so asinine?

Fehrmann69

imported post

I agree, and have a number of high capacity magazines, for a number of different guns, but just wanted to make the original poster aware of the law, that lawyers like to twist.

boredstudent

imported post

HankT wrote:
AaronG wrote:
xD.45Service wrote:

You're wrong, AG.

Learning how to use a gun, in our society of laws,at a level of appropriate level of responsibility and maturity,is very difficult.

I'm sorry but I have to post a video response..... This is a REAL DEA AGENT with training, watch what he does. this is also why I told a acquaintance I would kick his :cuss: if he bought a handgun without coming out to my house or taking a course first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP6UvNgbqIA
xD.45Service wrote:
You've had training in AR Style rifles, but you are afraid to carry a weapon loaded?

COD4 doesn't count as training.
You do realize there is now COD6?
Actually it is called COD:Modern Warfare 2 (CODMW2), and it is pretty much real life :celebrate

I do also find it funny how he said Ar style rifles (m16), which shouldn't it have been AR-15 style rifles, of which the M16 is the military designation and usually has selective fire. unlike the AR-15s that civilians can easily buy