• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NCCDL Forming

CarryOpen

imported post

I am also up for April - I am going to be in WV on the weekend of the 10th (gone the 9th - 12th) for some handgun courses. I would be happy to meet up any other week or weekend.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

glockaholic wrote:
If we organize an April event locally, what about Golden Corral as a potential meeting place? Don't they offer private dining rooms?

Golden Corral works for me. Ones of my ham radio clubs meet in one and there is a semi-private dining area you can ask for (it would be good to do it ahead of time as they're often taken). I say semi-private because the one we use has windows that people in the main dining area can see into, no big deal, they should see us anyway.

CarryOpen wrote:
I am fine with Golden Corral if everyone else is.

Works for me!

Sam

imported post

Golden Corral doesn't seem to be 2A friendly. The one near my home doesn't allow firearms on premises and I called one in Raleigh (2909 East Millbrook Road) they don't either. The manager said this was for "all Golden Corrals."

edited to correct address of restaurant I called

CarryOpen

imported post

I may be mistaken, but I thought some OCers had done a meet and greet at Golden Corral.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If it's not posted, it's not illegal. I'll have to recheck, but the last time I visited a Golden Corral, I could find not a single conspicuous sign or otherwise.

Now they could ask you to leave, that's a whole nother story...

Sam

imported post

I understand the legalities. I just wanted to inform because you wouldn't want to schedule a meeting with the guy from VCDL at a restaurant you get turned away from. Sure it'd be some nice press but a waste of that guys time.

Of course there is always the strong chance the manager lied to me. It's happened before. ^_^

glockaholic

imported post

It would be prudent to have a backup no matter where we choose to go. You never know when "that person" will happen to wander by, freak out, and decide to call the police.

I actually haven't heard many negative stories about Golden Corral which is why I thought it might be a good place to go.

Waffle House might be a bit small for the crowd we're expecting.

CarryOpen

imported post

We had a bit of trouble with the fixed bench type seating at a local place. It's fine for a small group, but I agree that Waffle House may not accommodate a large group well.

wylde007

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I may be mistaken, but I thought some OCers had done a meet and greet at Golden Corral.
In Virginia we've numerous OC suppers at Golden Corral and at several different locations.

I'd be willing to wager any disparity would be site-specific. They generally seem to favor whatever the laws are in the state they are located.

As it should be.

I might also suggest Western Sizzlin' or Ryan's Family Steakhouse, which are very similar to Golden Corral in atmosphere and fare. IMHO, Ryan's is better. I could sit and stuff my face with their yeast rolls all night. Not sure about their firearms policy, though, but they might be worth checking out.

http://hosted.where2getit.com/buffets/ryans.html

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Cracker Barrel? Always convenient off the interstates for us coming from a long way off. My wife works there and says they have people coming in with guns all the time, so they must be OC friendly.

I'm available for whatever.

Is OC allowed :)