• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glad I didn't have to...

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

LOL That's fine. I was just making sure I didn;t do anything.I did say it's never like the movies, but I wasn't quoting anyone. I was just making a statement.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't misinterpret what I had said.

ANyway, no hard feeling! LOL:cool:

Chubs2287

imported post

Yea, definitely no hard feelings.

You didn't quote me and say that. I agree with the statement "it's not like the movies", because it never is. I don't like someone quoting something I say, and saying that line. It implies the wrong idea. I hope he didn't mean it another way, just how he said it upset me.

okboomer

imported post

Hollowpoint,

Glad to hear that you both got the VPO's ... sorry to hear the idjit keyed your car ... and glad that the LEO took your report and they are getting a warrant to arrest him.

When he gets arrested, you might want to try and talk to the bondsman and explain the threats. He just might decide to take a pass on bonding him again.

I am not sure about the statutes in your state that governs bailbondsmen, but if they are anything like the ones in my state, just the fact that he has broken the law while on bond was enough to revoke the bond, whether an arrest warrant was issued or not.

I know when I was bonding, if there were any charges of violence in the past, I added a 10% surcharge per month of bond ... and those bail had to have a family member as their cosigner ... no girlfriends or wives ... and generally not even a sister or brother. They were proven dangerous and I wasn't going to take a chance. The first time they screwed up, I picked them up and they went back to jail. And I made sure they knew I was armed at all times and I made sure they met my bounty hunter ... he was a really scary guy :cool:What was funny was when some knucklehead made a comment about being scared of the bounty hunter ... the BH would tell them it was me they should be scared of as I was a lot meaner and way more dangerous than he was. :lol:

I sure hope things work out for you folks without any more incidents or damage.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Nice job there Hollowpoint38. Any Antis out there? Imagine this situation without the firearm. What if anything could have stopped the crackheads rant and actions? A gun actually saved his life because you could keep him from forcing the fight. Had he attacked and you not had the gun, one or both of you and others around as well might have been severely injured or killed. GUNS SAVE LIFES. As usual the meaning is deeper than appears at first glance.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

wow. I never worded it that way. I guess this was a good example of "guns save lives".

Why can't the brady campaign see that? Why can't they see that people kill people, not guns. They need to focus on guns being in the wrong hands. Not guns in general.

"Gunsdon't kill people. People kill people. Ok gun. Kill someone. Go ahead gun. Don't be shy. Kill someone. See... guns are harmless"

-Stan Smith

MKEgal

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I'm glad your Mom wised up. Get her that protection order. If the loser violates it, call 911 again.
Glad you're both OK, but I disagree with what eye95 said - if he violates the protection
order, shoot him.
He's shown he's violent, he held a knife to her throat, he's repeatedly said he'll kill you
(& her?)... don't give him the chance. :exclaim:

Remember - targets are paper. Shows how much protection a restraining order gives. :what:

-

eye95

imported post

Violating a protection order, in and of itself, would not be legal justification for shooting anyone. It is possible for the violator to be also placing someone legitimately in fear of life or limb, and that legitimate fear would be justification.

However, the violation of the order could be as simple as being too close to the person being protected. Someone so much as pulling a gun on the violator in that situation could easily find himself charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

okboomer

imported post

I still keep going back to his actions (which show future intent) and his statements (again, showing future intent) and the fact that he is a drug addict. I have said it before and I'll say it again ... crack/meth disconnect all logical thought processes. You are not/will not be dealing with a rational person whether he is "on drugs" or not when next you encounter him.

I agree that statements of "shoot him dead" [sic] are not particularly useful in this discussion.

I am sure Hollowpoint will make the best decision for the continued well being of his mother and himself if and when the need arises.

Carnivore

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Yeah. I'm having to watch my back. He told us on numerous occasions, (after the incident), he was going to kill me! Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it....

After getting the restraining order I would carry a voice recorder (assuming it is legal to record conversations in your state) so that you had some evidence of his threats. It is very frustrating how people get away with threats and intimidation and the police can't/won't do anything until physical violence is involved.

(you haven't so far but) Don't spout off about how you will handle the next attack, just in case there is a next attack and wind up explaining yourself in court.

You won't need to worry about a voice recorder, the credibility of the first 911 cal with his voice in the background stating he's going to kill you has all the credibility in the world.

Nice job de-escalating a dangerous situation..

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

okboomer wrote:
Yep, that is what a brain looks like on drugs ... you know how they say you cannot reason with a drunk? Well, you cannot deal with a crack/meth addict. Their logic circuits have been disconnected from their thinking process ... seriously!

You are lucky that you or the others were not injured seriously!

Personally, after being a bondsman, I would not give an addict the opportunity to take any steps after picking up a weapon (the knife and the helmet were definitely weapons.)

Now, you have also taken steps to protect yourself and your mother after he gets released? She most definitely should file for a VPO and you should probably file for one also ... just subpoena the 911 call and play it for the judge ... you will be granted the VPO based on his verbal threats, his behavior in front of the police, and the testimony of his brandishing weapons.

This man is a threat and you will probably have to shoot him if he comes after you or your mother ... is she armed?

Please remember, you are not dealing with someone who thinks logically or rationally! This is not a matter to take lightly, and I believe you are in real, imminent danger from this individual!
restraining orders are not worth the paper they are written on...ask any woman that has been beaten up after having a restraining order filed......they are worthless & stop nothing. Buy your mom a Pistol so she can defend her self when your not around. We all know the cops wont be any where close when he shows up again, to enforce the Court order.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carnivore wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Yeah. I'm having to watch my back. He told us on numerous occasions, (after the incident), he was going to kill me! Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it....

After getting the restraining order I would carry a voice recorder (assuming it is legal to record conversations in your state) so that you had some evidence of his threats. It is very frustrating how people get away with threats and intimidation and the police can't/won't do anything until physical violence is involved.

(you haven't so far but) Don't spout off about how you will handle the next attack, just in case there is a next attack and wind up explaining yourself in court.

You won't need to worry about a voice recorder, the credibility of the first 911 cal with his voice in the background stating he's going to kill you has all the credibility in the world.

Nice job de-escalating a dangerous situation..
I still say you should have de knee capped him... just sayin:lol:

okboomer

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
restraining orders are not worth the paper they are written on...ask any woman that has been beaten up after having a restraining order filed......they are worthless & stop nothing. Buy your mom a Pistol so she can defend her self when your not around. We all know the cops wont be any where close when he shows up again, to enforce the Court order.
Yeah, we have all seen how well that piece of paper works to prevent the BG from hurting someone!

But, by the same token, it also requires the court to escalate the punishment if the BG is caught violating the order ... and will go far towards exonerating the victim if either of them have to shoot the idjit ... and in some states, will prevent the BG from sueing in a civil suit for injury if he survives the shooting.

I am all about making the law work in my favor, but not thinking it is the end-all, be-all of my arsenal of weapons ... sometimes, ya just gotta get that gun up close and personal to get the point across. Other times, you need to be able to give your lawyer ammunition for your side.

mrsemman

imported post

Any incident like that, that you can walk away from means that you did the right thing. It also gives you some experience that you can use in the future, if, God forbid, it ever happens again.

eye95

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
It's not either/or. Helping mom defend herself with a pistol is a good idea. So is the restraining order. Restraining orders can help get the BG arrested for what is otherwise not a violation of the law--and can help prove self-defense should it come to that.

ROs have value. True, some may ascribe too much value to them. Also true, some ascribe too little.

The Wolfhound

imported post

To want to use a weapon on someone, diminishes our own humanity. To recognise the NEED to use one on someone is altogether different. Sometimes unpleasant things must be done. Sir, you have my salute and my prayers for your safety.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
To want to use a weapon on someone, diminishes our own humanity. To recognise the NEED to use one on someone is altogether different. Sometimes unpleasant things must be done. Sir, you have my salute and my prayers for your safety.
So then here's my question, do we kill people in war because we need to or because we want to? When is necessity determined? If a soldier joins the military because he wants to kill the enemy is it murder or necessity because it has to do with war? Or is it murder because he put himself in a position where he would be forced to kill?

Thank you for your prayers, they're much appreciated. :)

The Wolfhound

imported post

That is the philosophical question of the ages. I tend to believe that the best of humanity is willing to look for that difference in themselves. In the military it is necessary to be able and willing to kill as the needs arise and without much thought. It is part of the job and its requirements. If you find you or your troops enjoy it beyond the satisfaction of a job well done when it needed doing, send them for counseling, as their humanity may be slipping. You are in that unenviable position of needing to sleep at night (figuratively at least) with your actions of the day, often unpleasant. Pushing your humanity down is often necessary. Take care to hang onto it. Once you are out of the sandbox you will want to find it again. The greater pleasures of live are better with it. Stay safe.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
We should never want to use a weapon towards someone.
Why not?
Why? It is wrong to want to kill people. Don't misunderstand what I am saying. When it is a life or death situation, I want to live, and I'll do everything needed to stay alive. If I had to kill to defend my life or the life of my family, it will happen, but I don't hope for that day. I hope it never comes.