• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glad I didn't have to...

Beerme

Banned
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I had a shotgun. I keep a 12ga. in the trunk.

I wish I had a taser. I want one I can shoot so I don't have to be that close to the person, but the cheapest I can find is in the hundreds of $.

ANyone know where I can find one cheaper? I have a birthday coming up.:D

remember,tasers arent legal in every state,which is BS...but its how it is

id suggest re-arming your mother and try not letting her be alone very muchany time soon.

i dont think i would've had the restraint to not fire in that situation,ive seen crackheads go all out on people on several occasions,my former neighbors about 2 years back got into it one night and the guys wife stabbed his girlfriend in the chest with a gian piece of broken window,nearly killing her,and she almost lost her hand because all ends of the glass were razor sharp,she didnt even care she had made a fillet out of her hand,crackheads are way too unpredictable.

glad you and your mother are physically okay though.

Looking at your other thread and previous posts I maintain you should not own a firearm.
TO TOP IT OFF if you do not think you have the restraint to keep yourself from shooting someone when it is not called for you should be no where near a gun or a knife.
This is just more proof from you that you CANNOT keep calm.
The man had a motorcycle helmet and a paring knife.
OP did an amazing job bye not shooting him.
Contrary to what you may think lil_freak.
The idea is not I have a gun I'm gonna shoot the next person that scares me, discharging your firearm at a human being is the LAST RESORT when its life or death.
OP
Great job and I really hope all goes well for you

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Beerme wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:

I wish I had a taser. I want one I can shoot so I don't have to be that close to the person, but the cheapest I can find is in the hundreds of $.

id suggest re-arming your mother and try not letting her be alone very muchany time soon.

i dont think i would've had the restraint to not fire in that situation,ive seen crackheads go all out on people on several occasions,my former neighbors about 2 years back got into it one night and the guys wife stabbed his girlfriend in the chest with a gian piece of broken window,nearly killing her,and she almost lost her hand because all ends of the glass were razor sharp,she didnt even care she had made a fillet out of her hand,crackheads are way too unpredictable.

Looking at your other thread and previous posts I maintain you should not own a firearm.
TO TOP IT OFF if you do not think you have the restraint to keep yourself from shooting someone when it is not called for you should be no where near a gun or a knife.
The idea is not I have a gun I'm gonna shoot the next person that scares me, discharging your firearm at a human being is the LAST RESORT when its life or death.
OP

Thank you. I've been seeing a lot of people say things like, "I would have shot him" or "shoot him next chance you get".

That is not what it is about. If your life is in immediate danger, defend yourself. Mine was, and all I had to do in order to defend myself was brandish my firearm and instruct him to back away. Him seeing the firearm was enough to save my life and therefore no need to take his. Some people do not need to be in possession of a gun, because they get scared and pull the trigger. It is not necessary to shoot someone just to defend yourself and that is what some people need to understand. Yes, sometimes it can't be avoided, but we should not just shoot because of fear. My case was an example of that. Thanx for the positive input!!

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
Beerme wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:

OP

Thank you. I've been seeing a lot of people say things like, "I would have shot him" or "shoot him next chance you get".

That is not what it is about. If your life is in immediate danger, defend yourself. Mine was, and all I had to do in order to defend myself was brandish my firearm and instruct him to back away. Him seeing the firearm was enough to save my life and therefore no need to take his. Some people do not need to be in possession of a gun, because they get scared and pull the trigger. It is not necessary to shoot someone just to defend yourself and that is what some people need to understand. Yes, sometimes it can't be avoided, but we should not just shoot because of fear. My case was an example of that. Thanx for the positive input!!

You deserved it, you handled things perfectly.
There are people that would rather shoot someone instead of trying to calm the situation down.
Go look at the thread "Just drew on a burglar" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
There are some people you cannot help and they should be nowhere near a firearm.

Stay safe

Cobra469

imported post

I think the only thing I would have done differently was to start moving around 8 am and have already scheduled for an officer to be on "Civil Standbye." Had both of his parents there and knew it might get confrontational. That is what civil standbye is for. Then when he made advances to the police officer I would have watched as the cop performed his duty in protecting everybody involved.

I too have to move a family member from a violent boyfriend. Unfortunately he is sneaky enough to have already had her charged with assult when she defended herself against him before. So since then she has been at my house and the situation is definately manipulated against her when he is the violent one. Since WI has no concealed carry permitted the only action I can perform is to have an officer present during the move. Me showing up OCing will just get me kicked off the property or a complaint for criminal trespass filed.

But it is great that she stood up for herself and got out of that situation. Waking up to the situation late is still better than ignoring it all together.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

Our officers won't do that here. I'm unsure if it is an Alabama policy or every officer I've talked to just didn't care. They will not wait. If you call, they will stop by and if no laws were broken, they leave.

2 weeks after this happened, he called my cell and said, "I'm on the way over. When I get there, I'm gonna park my motorcycle up your @$$ and cut your @#$%ing head off.....!!!"

I called 911. Two officers showed up and I explained (in more detail) what happened. They said, "there is nothing we can do right now. When he gets here, call us back."

They left and that idjit showed up 10 minutes later. I locked the door, sat on the couch with a pistol in my hand, because he showed up and started BEATING the door with an aluminum bat. I called the police and by the time they got there, he was gone. They couldn't do a thing and they said, "we didn't see him do the damage to your door so we can't do anything".

This is a shining example of why I carry. They are crazy drug addict criminals out there and a lot of times, if the police don't see it happen, there's nothing they can do.

okboomer

imported post

Hollowpoint,

In my rural Oklahoma community the police will not do anything of the sort either, but the Sheriff department will. They have a little more latitude in what they will help with. Also, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol can also be approached for assistance, as they are the state police and consider the whole state to be their jurisdiction and that doesn't stop at city limits.

Hope all things work out well for you and your family.

ETA: Can you get your hands on a game camera? Or can you set up a camcorder in a spot where your front door and driveway will be covered? Catch that SOBon tape and you can take it to a judge for violation of the VPO. Then it won't matter if the cops witness it or not.

Also, are your neighbors aware of what is going on? You can show them photos of this idjit and warn them that "in your experience" he is unstable and if he approaches them, they should secure themselves and call the police. Also tell them if they can get any photographic/video footage of him on your property, you would appreciate having the original for the judge.

Looks like this idjit will take enough rope to hang himself and with just a little advance preparation on your part, you should be able to get hard evidence that the harrassment is continuing.

IMHO the baseball bat incident indicates his intent to do physical harm to you. You don't say if he is also harrassing your mother in this manner still. If he is, do the same at her place also.

As for the advance phone calls he makes, record them, then set up your camcorder and video him assaulting your door/property. Be sure to date and time stamp (front page of the day's newspaper, news show on the TV ... and take that to the DA. Each and every time he does this. You don't have to open the door, just the audio on the video tape will be enough as long as you can get video of him coming and going... it is called "video the complete action" and can be used in court.

Another thing that can be done here is to take the video and your certified copy of the VPO to the Sheriff department and file a complaint with them. At the very least, he will be arrested for violating the VPO and will have to be in front of the judge and you will not have to depend on the determination of the DA whether his actions violated the VPO. If the Sheriff thinks he did based on the evidence you show, then the DA has to present it to a judge.

Which way you take this will depend on whether the DA is willing to pursue this aggressively.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

At least you were prepared!! That could have been all sorts of bad had you been unarmed. Just another great example why all states should treat guns the way Vermont does! No fees, no permit, no waiting period.... 2nd Amendment rights the way they should be!

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

Beerme wrote:
lil_freak_66 wrote:
Hollowpoint38 wrote:

OP
I have to disagree on this one. His comments had nothing to do with a lack of restraint, and everything to do with assessing the situation. In the case of the OP, he didn't have to shoot, and the guy backed down. However, this guy could easily have charged with the knife, and, depending on how close he was, stabbed someone before they could shoot. I don't think we can fairly judge a person for acting on the safe side. The guy was armed, he made clear threats of death, and he was on drugs. Any one of those things could be considered a threat, and all together? What if he had not heeded the demand to stop? The OP had no way to know if he would or not. I think a lot of people would shoot in that situation, and rightfully so. That isn't shooting "at the next person that scares" you, but assessing a threat, and acting to keep yourself and others alive. If he was closer that 20 feet or so, he could get to you before you could fire, potentially. That helmet you dismiss was, as the sheriff rightly pointed out, a weapon, and could have incapacitated the OP long enough to do real harm. A paring knife is a real threat, as well; plenty big enough (and very sharp) to do serious harm, and small enough to handle well. The OP handled the situation well, and would have had he shot, too.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

The hemet was not a halfshell. It was a full helmet and he was threatening to smash my skull in with it. It could be done with a helmet that size. The sheriff told me he would have done the same and that the guy was lucky I wasn't a "trigger happy gun owner". I'm glad he backed down.... super glad!

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
The hemet was not a halfshell. It was a full helmet and he was threatening to smash my skull in with it. It could be done with a helmet that size. The sheriff told me he would have done the same and that the guy was lucky I wasn't a "trigger happy gun owner". I'm glad he backed down.... super glad!
Those helmets are pretty heavy! I agree with the sheriff, but am glad you didn't have to take that action.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Several years of screwing up my mom's life, I wouldn't have been as forgiving.

He handed you a 'kill me free of consequences' card.

I woulda... But then again... I'm doubt he would have lived that long on my watch to begin with...

You don't mess with my Mama!

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

HollowPoint,

Your actions were commendable. Too often people forget that you don't have to discharge your firearm for it to be effective. The mere presence will do the job sometimes as proven with your incident.

I agree with everyone else that said don't take this lightly. I personally have dealt with "crazy" in my past and the one thing that is predictable, is that "crazies" or "addicts" are very unpredictable. You seem to have your ducks in a row, good. Wishing you and your mom the best with this situation.

Hollowpoint38

imported post

I left my Hyundai there when I got 2 flats at once. The shotgun was in the trunk. I had my wife pick me up in her carand takeme home.TheHyundai had been locked upat my mom'sfor about 4-5 days. I had a 98Ford Van, 02 Ford Mustang, 06Hyundai Sonata, 03Kia Sorento, and a 02 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R.

MKEgal

imported post

Aaahhh... I understand now.
Our household is the other way around - 1 car, 3 motorcycles (1 with a sidecar,
and its trunk can hold 2 children).

BTW, glad things have gone OK for you so far, but I don't think he's going to leave
you alone. It must suck having to look over your shoulder all the time.