Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi new to open carry

Post imported post

Hi my name is tina. Im thinking about opencarrying with my husband but he wants me to know the laws first. May you please give me some advice or laws that i can read and better understand the law.

Post imported post

Tina985 wrote:
    Hi my name is tina. Im thinking about opencarrying with my husband but he wants me to know the laws first. May you please give me some advice or laws that i can read and better understand the law.
    Welcome!! You might try here...

http://www.laopencarry.org/how-do-i-...siana-t73.html

Of course do your own research... IOW read the laws yourself.

Post imported post

georg jetson wrote:

but where do i go to do the research. :?

Post imported post

Tina985 wrote:
    georg jetson wrote:

but where do i go to do the research. :?

You can look up State law here...
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Tina985 wrote:
    Quick primer here with links to others.
    http://www.opencarry.org/la.html

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Why couldn't you ask you husband where he gets his info from? That would be a good place to start.

Post imported post

Tina,

Click on the Maps graphic in the upper left hand corner of this site & then click on Open Carry, then click on Louisiana. That should get you started.

Barfolomew

Post imported post

Municode may be of some help too in looking up local ordinances.

http://www.municode.com

And, of course, there's us! http://www.laopencarry.org

Welcome to Open Carry Tina!
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Him: "I carry my gun concealed"
    Me: "You're not very good at it"
    Him: "What do you mean?"
    Me: "I know you have a gun"
    End of conversation.

Post imported post

Tina, ask your husband to talk to his oldest friend and his dad.

They'll know.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Tina, go to the following website and you should learn all you need to know concerning OC in Louisiana.http://louisianacarry.org/laws/index.htm

Post imported post

I have deja vu...

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    I have deja vu...
    Yes, but do the hot flashes occur 6 days apart?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

Tina985 wrote:
    Tina, my advise as someone who has open carried in New Orleans and actually shot at and captured an armed thug while open carrying and had to deal with the police as a result, would be to get your concealed permit before you start open carrying and have your permit on you while open carrying.

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    Tina985 wrote:
    Tina, my advise as someone who has open carried in New Orleans and actually shot at and captured an armed thug while open carrying and had to deal with the police as a result, would be to get your concealed permit before you start open carrying and have your permit on you while open carrying.
    One has NOTHING to do with the other.

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    Tina985 wrote:
    Then get a Fishing License and have it with you anytime you ride a bike.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Post imported post

georg jetson wrote:
    estcrh wrote:
    Tina985 wrote:
    One has NOTHING to do with the other.
    +1

Post imported post

Guys im trying to teach my wife as much as i can!!! But don't get off topic. Just send her the sites that she may need because i don't have much time to show her.

Post imported post

tntorqu wrote:
    Guys im trying to teach my wife as much as i can!!! But don't get off topic. Just send her the sites that she may need because i don't have much time to show her.
    The best place for her to start like someone else said http://louisianacarry.org/laws/index.htm

He has put alot of work on that site and it will get you started in the right direction.

Someone said something about a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit, that has nothing to do with her OC'ing.

Post imported post

tntorqu wrote:
    Just for background and general enthusiasm, let her look at and absorb the info found on the below link. Written by a woman for women.
    http://corneredcat.com/

Yata hey

Post imported post

tntorqu wrote:
    As someone who has ACTUAL experience dealing with L.A law enforcement in regards to open carry laws and their enforcement (as opposed to the arm chair generals here)
    I can tell you that having an concealed permit on you when open carrying is a good idea for a number of reasons...also having your gun receipt on you as well. I have had to used my gun while open carrying and I speak from experience. Not only have I talked with the D.A.s office on this matter and the commander of my local police dist and local officers.

I gave all the current laws and regulations and all the open carry court rulings I could find to a well know local attorney and he gave me a written opinion on the legality of open carry laws which I carry with me as well. I live part time in A.Z.and open carry with no problem there.... but L.A. is a different thing...whats legal and whats recognized as being legal by the local authorities is a different matter.
    School zones are also a consideration. Any written proof that says that you are legally able to own a gun (a cc permit does just this) and that the gun itself is legal (your receipt) will help local officers decide if they should leave you alone or not. If you want to be the next court test case then go ahead and maybe were you live and want to carry you will never have a problem but I am giving advise to some one who is new to open carry and they can read for THEMSELVES and decide what information to use.

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    tntorqu wrote:
    As someone who has ACTUAL experience dealing with L.A law enforcement in regards to open carry laws and their enforcement (as opposed to the arm chair generals here)
    I can tell you that having an concealed permit on you when open carrying is a good idea for a number of reasons...also having your gun receipt on you as well. I have had to used my gun while open carrying and I speak from experience. Not only have I talked with the D.A.s office on this matter and the commander of my local police dist and local officers.

I gave all the current laws and regulations and all the open carry court rulings I could find to a well know local attorney and he gave me a written opinion on the legality of open carry laws which I carry with me as well. I live part time in A.Z.and open carry with no problem there.... but L.A. is a different thing...whats legal and whats recognized as being legal by the local authorities is a different matter.
    School zones are also a consideration. Any written proof that says that you are legally able to own a gun (a cc permit does just this) and that the gun itself is legal (your receipt) will help local officers decide if they should leave you alone or not. If you want to be the next court test case then go ahead and maybe were you live and want to carry you will never have a problem but I am giving advise to some one who is new to open carry and they can read for THEMSELVES and decide what information to use.
    Probably OT, but gotta ask - What is going on here? Why you being insulting to other posters? What is your rank - one star or two?

When you encourage someone to show papers (extra legal) i.e. permit and receipt for a gun (are you serious?) for an obviously protected right that requires no "legal opinion" from an attorney, you become part of the problem. Can't believe what I am reading. You could carry an unabridged code book with you for that matter - the street is NOT the place to debate legalities.

If someone does not have the knowledge or confidence to handle a terry stop in a municipality known to be aggressively anti-OC, then I suggest that they initially gain some time on the ground w/experienced OCer, hone their confidence in friendlier areas, and obviously know the laws. That is good simple logic in any event.

Yata hey

Post imported post

When you encourage someone to show papers (extra legal) i.e. permit and receipt for a gun (are you serious?) for an obviously protected right that requires no "legal opinion" from an attorney, you become part of the problem.** Can't believe what I am reading.* You could carry an unabridged code book with you for that matter - the street is NOT the place to debate legalities.

If someone does not have the knowledge or confidence to handle a terry stop in a municipality known to be aggressively anti-OC, then I suggest that they initially gain some time on the ground w/experienced OCer, hone their confidence in friendlier areas, and obviously know the laws.* That is good simple logic in any event.
    Learn to read....I was not encouraging someone to SHOW papers...I was encouraging them to have the papers on them....have you ever had to use your open carry gun????...well I have and I am giving someone ACTUAL information which can and will help avoid possible problems which might come up from carrying a weapon openly in L.A.

It does not matter what your rights are if the police officer asking you questions does not know or recognize your rights. How often I post here does not have anything to do with how much I know about the subject! My information is provided for the original poster and they can decide to use it or not...if anyone here has some different information feel free to post your thoughts on the subject instead of trying to attack my post....once again...I have had to use my gun to defend myself while open carrying in New Orleans..I have had to deal with the results of this first hand.

I have talked personally with the D.A.s office..the local police commander and the local officers here and I know their thoughts on the subject of citizens open carrying in New Orleans...if anyone doubts me come to the French Quarter and try to open carry here without taking the precautions I have suggested and see what happens to your RIGHT to openly carry a gun!!!!

Post imported post

estcrh wrote:
    When you encourage someone to show papers (extra legal) i.e. permit and receipt for a gun (are you serious?) for an obviously protected right that requires no "legal opinion" from an attorney, you become part of the problem. Can't believe what I am reading. You could carry an unabridged code book with you for that matter - the street is NOT the place to debate legalities.

If someone does not have the knowledge or confidence to handle a terry stop in a municipality known to be aggressively anti-OC, then I suggest that they initially gain some time on the ground w/experienced OCer, hone their confidence in friendlier areas, and obviously know the laws. That is good simple logic in any event.
    Learn to read....I was not encouraging someone to SHOW papers...I was encouraging them to have the papers on them....have you ever had to use your open carry gun????...well I have and I am giving someone ACTUAL information which can and will help avoid possible problems which might come up from carrying a weapon openly in L.A.

It does not matter what your rights are if the police officer asking you questions does not know or recognize your rights. How often I post here does not have anything to do with how much I know about the subject! My information is provided for the original poster and they can decide to use it or not...if anyone here has some different information feel free to post your thoughts on the subject instead of trying to attack my post....once again...I have had to use my gun to defend myself while open carrying in New Orleans..I have had to deal with the results of this first hand.

I have talked personally with the D.A.s office..the local police commander and the local officers here and I know their thoughts on the subject of citizens open carrying in New Orleans...if anyone doubts me come to the French Quarter and try to open carry here without taking the precautions I have suggested and see what happens to your RIGHT to openly carry a gun!!!!
    Let's break this down:

"I was not encouraging someone to SHOW papers...I was encouraging them to have the papers on them". Uh huh - you should just HAVE them, not USE or SHOW them. Kinda defeats your stated purpose for HAVING them to SHOW to the police if something goes down.

"It does not matter what your rights are if the police officer asking you questions does not know or recognize your rights." Wrong! Your rights are not suspended because a police officer does not know or recognize your rights.

"I have talked personally with the D.A.s office..the local police commander and the local officers here and I know their thoughts on the subject of citizens open carrying in New Orleans" And? Why do I care what their THOUGHTS and OPINIONS are? Will their THOUGHTS and OPINIONS hold up in a court of law?

"if anyone doubts me come to the French Quarter and try to open carry here without taking the precautions I have suggested and see what happens to your RIGHT to openly carry a gun" I open carry in the Quarter and on Frenchman street on a daily basis. I do not carry a concealed carry permit while open carrying.

In summary, THIS ADVICE SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED. In my opinion, of course.

Post imported post

barf wrote:
    estcrh wrote:
    -- Edited version deleted for Rules Violation--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast