Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club .45

McX

Post imported post

title says it all. welcome to club .45. we speak of .45's here. pics encouraged.

Post imported post

Soooo...where's your pics?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

McX

Post imported post

don't have a .45 yet. that's why i'm here, read, learn, look, then go shopping! i wonder if i'm eligible for the senior discount on my purchase?

Banned

Post imported post

Pics? Here ya go!

Post imported post

Well, I carry a Paraordnance P1445 everywhere. I've had people tell me that it can't be used as a conceal carry because it is too big, but I haven't had a problem but once. That was when the wind blew my shirt over the pistol while riding my bike. As far as the .45 ACP round. It's been around like forever and a couple more days, is tried and true, and I have seen accuracy of MOsoda cans as far as 100 yards. I cant hit anything under about 18-20 inches at that distance, but I have seen people that hit a soda can everytime. Don't let anyone tell you it's not accurate because it's too slow. Self defense is close quarters stuff anyway.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    Well, I carry a Paraordnance P1445 everywhere. I've had people tell me that it can't be used as a conceal carry because it is too big, but I haven't had a problem but once. That was when the wind blew my shirt over the pistol while riding my bike. As far as the .45 ACP round. It's been around like forever and a couple more days, is tried and true, and I have seen accuracy of MOsoda cans as far as 100 yards. I cant hit anything under about 18-20 inches at that distance, but I have seen people that hit a soda can everytime. Don't let anyone tell you it's not accurate because it's too slow. Self defense is close quarters stuff anyway.
    One of these would make the 100yard shot easier. :-)

Post imported post

I always get a kick out of the ever present discussions about the .45............

Take that comment any way y'all wish...

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    I always get a kick out of the ever present discussions about the .45............

Take that comment any way y'all wish...

+45

McX

Post imported post

i ain't seen nary a nekked pic of a nice .45 i should look into on here yet!

Post imported post

You should know what I carry McX, Springfield XD45.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

rodbender,

I'm COMPLETELY in your camp. I also own a full-size Para double stack (the "deluxe" version of yours--an S-14.45 Limited), and although I OC about 90% of the time, I occasionally CC, like when it's raining, or coled enough to require a coat, or when I'm "dressed up". I have had no problem whatsoever, and I'm a pretty lanky dude at 5'11" and 180lbs...

However, all that said, my next gun will be a smaller Para--probably a Para LDA PDA in .45. It is a single-stack, and has a shorter barrel, so it's a MUCH more compact instrument, and would be a LOT more comfortable for CC and summertime carry than the full-size double-stack.

I saw a PDA in a shop yesterday and it was SWEET. The only reason I didn't put money down on it was that it was a 9mm (which gives you 2 or 3 more rounds, but, I mean, it's a 9mm...) I'm holding out for a PDA in .45acp...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Here's a bit of eyecandy,Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45ACP... love the piece!

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Post imported post

Good friend of mine carries a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. I have handled it but haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet (mainly because he lives nearly 1000 miles away). Feels good in the hand though.

I mostly carry my XD45 compact service. Lots of things I like about it and lot of good things to say about fat and slow for self-defense.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

We are talking about .45 Colt aren't we?

Post imported post

Curtis wrote:
    We are talking about .45 Colt aren't we?

UUHH....hadn't thunk o' that. When somebody says .45...I always figure they are talking .45 ACP. But .45 Long Colt is good, too.

ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol anyway
    Will Rogers

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

US Firearms "Rodeo" SA .45LC

Post imported post

I carry a P220 Stainless Steel all the time. I admit it isn't the best for CC but it can be done, as for general carrying it is a little heavy at times but nothing that really bothers me. Though it may be a little bigger and heavy at times for CC, it does give me more control when firing than its lighter counterparts. I is a great firearm I like it a lot, it is very accurate and great for OC.

[img]file:///C:/Users/Darkin/Desktop/New%20folder/P220SS.jpg[/img]

McX

Post imported post

interesting information, and damn nice pics too! got a question, which manufacturers, and models offer the 'safe decocking' thing, and is it safe to carry with one in the chamer, hammer down. if dropped any chances it will go off? I'm not keen on that back grip safety, but i suppose it's something one can get used to, any thoughts or experiences on that aspect?
    i was also wondering, in the .45 category, could anyone list manufacturers from lowest price/quality, to highest/price quality in order of 'occurance', so i can get a feel for if i'm in the eonomy isle, or uptown? i have a thing for the classic 1911 style design at present, but am open to ideas, and thoughts.

Post imported post

HK and Sig both make DA/SA .45s with decockers and both are considered excellent weapons. I carry an HK USP .45 and i love it. However, if the price is a problem, Glock and Springfeild make fine pistols as well for $300-400 less. And, it is extremely hard to make pistol go bang these days without pulling the trigger. Rack one in the pipe, put your saftey on (if you so choose) and be on your merry way.

Post imported post

.45? I love the .45 acp and the Colt .45. I own 4, 2 .45 acp semis and 2 revolvers, 1 .45 acp, 1 .45 Colt. Not to brag, but I'm not half bad with any of them. I'm always looking for more in either .45 acp or .45 Colt,

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    which manufacturers, and models offer the 'safe decocking' thing, and is it safe to carry with one in the chamer, hammer down. if dropped any chances it will go off?
    My CCW is an H&K USPc .40. For about ten years I carried it concealed on daily 50 Km bicycle rides on the coast of SC, salty, sultry, humid. Every day the gun would have sweat running out of it. Everyday it would be field stripped, wiped and reassembled. I carried it Condition Two, hammer down with a chambered round and safety off.

On reassembly the slide is locked back, cocking the external spurless hammer. Insert the magazine and release the slide to battery, that chambers a round - the hammer is still cocked. Drop the magazine so that if the hammer bar fails in the next step there won't be yet another round chambered. Decock, dropping the hammer to the bar, with the gun aimed safely, the lever spring returns to Fire. Replace the round for a full magazine and reinsert the magazine. The gun is ready to go.

Ten years is 3,650 times it didn't go off on decock.

The H&K USP torture tests are quite notorious and easily found on the web.

Post imported post

McX wrote:
    interesting information, and damn nice pics too! got a question, which manufacturers, and models offer the 'safe decocking' thing, and is it safe to carry with one in the chamer, hammer down. if dropped any chances it will go off? I'm not keen on that back grip safety, but i suppose it's something one can get used to, any thoughts or experiences on that aspect?
    i was also wondering, in the .45 category, could anyone list manufacturers from lowest price/quality, to highest/price quality in order of 'occurance', so i can get a feel for if i'm in the eonomy isle, or uptown? i have a thing for the classic 1911 style design at present, but am open to ideas, and thoughts.
    The "classic 1911 style" has a back strap safety... tested, tried and true passive safety.

Re: decockers - the decocker is a mechanical design that allows you to drop the hammer without using the trigger. To the best of my knowledge, all modern decocking semi-autos have some sort of physical block of the firing pin which is only deactivated by the trigger. The decocker works by releasing the sear and dropping the hammer WITHOUT deactivating the firing pin block/catch as you are not pulling the trigger. By definition it is a "safe decocking thing".

So then yes, it is safe to carry a modern sidearm equipped with a decocker loaded with the hammer down as that is the point of the decocker. The decocker equipped pistols of which I am familiar are all DA/SA.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

McX

Post imported post

thank you all so much for the information. there is alot to learn about the .45 for me! thank you also for sharing your pics! the pic of the p220 stainless appeals to me most so far, resembles the 1911, but also looks more current, and up to date. so who is the manufacturer on the p220? commonly available at gun stores? price i should pay in your opinion? looks like they reside in the 'grand' range. i will presume retention holsters are available for this model also?
    had to edit to ask one last question; do all .45's come with a thumb slide release?

McX

Post imported post

found a guns.com type site, and saw this beauty, maybe?[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/steve/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]

Post imported post

The funniest thing about a .45 cal..

For people that Do NOT know guns; when they ask you what you are carrying- they are ALWAYS like "Oh Whoa a .45 Darn man whoa whoa" or something like it's literally the most craziest kind of gun out there.

"You got a .45?!!!" lol it's funny compared to telling people you have a 9. They're like 'Oh a nine... yeah..'

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast