• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC, Inc. Annual Membership Meeting

autosurgeon

imported post

I tend to agree as well for MOC member only events. For events that we are sponsoring that are open to the general public I think an informational post here is fine.

Also remember this is our first annual meeting and not all of our members have activated their MOC Forum accounts. By next year I would not see any need to post MOC member only events like the annual meeting on here. However at this time for the first meeting I see no problem with it.

I do agree that we should continue to transition to our own site with member only info... however we also want to remember that if not for OCDO we would not have had a home so to speak for the first several years of our movement here in MI! So we don't want to completely distance ourselves.

By us posting our events we are embracing other OCers and continuing to support OCDO.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Sigh...

I agree that posting MOC events on OCDO is advertising geared to increasing traffic at those events and perhaps resulting in increased membership........... but.....

I suspect that MOC has the email address of each and every one of it's members? A simple email notification of member's only business should suffice to let every member know...

and to keep off topic posts from impinging on the reputation and credibility of MOC.

Let me ask a simple question...

What would folks think of the credibility... and the desirousness of joining.. any organization that stuck a flyer notifying folks already members of that organization that there will be a membership meeting on fence posts and telephone poles? After all... membership meetings are limited to......... members. The general public isn't invited.... and really doesn't give two farts in the wind about a meeting they can't attend anyway.

As for posting MOC internal business on the parent OCDO forum... isn't it about time the child stood on it's own two legs?

For myself, as an individual who OC's everywhere every day all day long, when MOC grows up I'll consider adding my efforts to their goals. Until then I'll not associate myself with an organization that is so............... disorganized.

cabman1

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
Sigh...

For myself, as an individual who OC's everywhere every day all day long, when MOC grows up I'll consider adding my efforts to their goals. Until then I'll not associate myself with an organization that is so............... disorganized.

Am reading this right you want nothing to do with MOC until
its more like MGO,NRA and then maybe you'll add your efforts to the goals?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I made the call to post the Annual Meeting here on OCDO due to a couple of reasons. First, this event is not only an MOCmeeting, it is also a picnic where I assume immediate family of the membership will be attending. Second, the participation in the thread of this meeting/picnic over at MOC is lacking. As I already mentioned over at MOC, I too, believe, members only, means members only. Further, it was a tough call for me to post the meeting here, however, I didn't know what else to do to get the word out.

DetroitBiker

imported post

T Vance wrote:
I'm curious about a few things.

1) Were the members surveyed to see if this date works for a majority of the members? (I never recieved an email - I'm busy the day of the meeting)

2) Why is this meeting going to be in Bath. Don't a majority of the members of MOC live in the metro-Detroit area? (Bath is closer to me than Detroit, but I know it's a haul for a majority of the MOC members)

3) What is the purpose of this meeting? What is going to be discussed? (A meeting agenda would be nice to see)

4) Can the members of MOC suggest topics that should be addressed prior to this meeting? (there are obviously some issues that numerous MOC members would like to see addressed)

5) Is this meeting strictly for MOC members, or can anyone come? (Will someone be checking ID's at the door if it is strictly for MOC members?)

6) Will filming/recordingof this meeting be allowed?

T vance did you get any answers yet?

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I'm curious about a few things.

1) Were the members surveyed to see if this date works for a majority of the members? (I never recieved an email - I'm busy the day of the meeting)

2) Why is this meeting going to be in Bath. Don't a majority of the members of MOC live in the metro-Detroit area? (Bath is closer to me than Detroit, but I know it's a haul for a majority of the MOC members)

3) What is the purpose of this meeting? What is going to be discussed? (A meeting agenda would be nice to see)

4) Can the members of MOC suggest topics that should be addressed prior to this meeting? (there are obviously some issues that numerous MOC members would like to see addressed)

5) Is this meeting strictly for MOC members, or can anyone come? (Will someone be checking ID's at the door if it is strictly for MOC members?)

6) Will filming/recordingof this meeting be allowed?

Please come over to our forums for answers to your questions.

B

Bikenut

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
Sigh...

Am reading this right you want nothing to do with MOC until
its more like MGO,NRA and then maybe you'll add your efforts to the goals?
If MGO and/or the NRA conducts it's internal business internally, ...regardless of what that business is or if I think that organization's goals and methods are worthy.. or not... then you did read it right.

If you are trying to skew this discussion into something along the lines of MOC is thought more of than MGO or the NRA here in an effort to diminish the veracity of what I was saying.. that won't work because we are NOT talking about MGO or the NRA.

What I said, and I stand by what I said, was very simple:

"I will not associate myself with an organization that is so............ disorganized."

Because I'll not allow an organization that is screwing up.. to screw up my own reputation and/or credibility or make my own personal OC efforts less effective.

Whether MOC's leadership wishes to acknowledge it or not... I, and other potential members, do not need MOC... for anything... not even furthering OC... but MOC desperately needs us! And the goal of making OC accepted needs both MOC... and us working together in a professional manner.

autosurgeon

imported post

Bikenut MOC is not as disorganized as some select people would like to portray. In fact IMOP right now it is very organized.. projects are getting done on schedule and we are meeting the goals we have set.

Is there room for improvement? Of course that will always be the case in every endeavor. However to say we are disorganized based on a few malcontents who will likely never be happy no matter what we do is rather disingenuous.

It is easy to want everything to be done all at once but that is just not reasonable. What we are doing is working from a list of goals set forth in leadership discussions... This is what all organizations do.

I would say if people feel they could help make us better please get involved take on one of the coordinator positions that are open. Run for office in November or contact your Coordinator if you are in an area that has one. We are always looking for deputies so that we have people on the ground in as many places as possible within our region.

I know I would like to eventually have a deputy in each major city in the SW region.

Really the only way things will get done faster is with more help.

WARCHILD

imported post

You both make valid points and should be addressed.
I for one don't like some surprises and "not knowing" what's going on.
I have repeatedly heard "there are things going on" and "things in the works".....okay...what?
IMO...members should have/be notified of what's "in the works" via email. Hearing nothing contributes to the "doing nothing" and "disorganized" views so often cited.
Let us know "what's going on", even if it's just an idea that's being discussed, let us know something.
No information does give the guise of secrecy and covert decisions.

JMO

autosurgeon

imported post

I think it would be a good idea if short and long term goals were posted on the forum. This would give a place for those working on the particular goals to post updates or request help if needed.

However like I said many of these things were not really possible before we had our own forum and we are currently still thinking of ways we can leverage the forum.

You folks do make good points and rest assured we are not ignoring any ideas. In fact I am copying and pasting your concerns into a document and they will be addressed at the next leadership discussion.

If you want specifics please ask in the members section of the MOC forum. I would be glad to discuss what I am working on as would any of the others I am sure!

WARCHILD

imported post

Finally a move in the right direction. :celebrate

I commend you sir for asking questions to be stated on the MOC forum.
This is what needs to be reinforced to all members. Conduct "our" business at "home".

B

Bikenut

imported post

MOC, as an organization, has the potential to do spectacularly great things....

I, and others, are patiently waiting for the indication of those "great things to come".

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bikenut wrote:

MOC, as an organization, has the potential to do spectacularly great things....

I, and others, are patiently waiting for the indication of those "great things to come".
So you are waiting untileverything is to your liking before joining when the organization could benefit from your involvement,. Okay I get it now, all the heavy lifting is done and in comes the dandy. Good to know.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Venator wrote:
Bikenut wrote: So you are waiting untileverything is to your liking before joining when the organization could benefit from your involvement,. Okay I get it now, all the heavy lifting is done and in comes the dandy. Good to know.
Well thats sorta harsh....i mean...yeesh, i plan on joining MOC as soon as i get the app, but i have to say, bikenut has a point....right now there is still a chance that MOC wont grow as hoped and personally i can see why some would be reluctant to join until it is known that the org will....how do you say...well for lack of a better word "Succeed"??

JMO- not trying to push buttons or pull strings....just tossing it out there