• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just called Trader Joes (University Place)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock17 wrote:
For me this is the issue. This is the only store I go to. I don't want to get removed from the store or band from the store. My wife would kill me. We don't shop at any other place. So I understand what you guys are saying. You have worked hard to normalize open carry. And I approached it in a very casual way. I don't see how I can approach it any other way. Its just the way I am. I don't go to Star Bucks because I don't believe in there product. I just wanted to know how they felt about open carry. I think in time I will not worry so much. All good points by the way. I have a learning curve going on here. So be patient.

I think we all understand the learning curve. I know I had/have one.

But ask yourself this question, if Trader Joe's calls back and they say that the don't allow open OR concealed carry in their business, what will you do? Will you shop somewhere else? A man of conviction would. Will you concealed carry in thier business, thus activiely violating their policy? Or, will you leave your firearm in the car or at home and continue to shop there?

69Charger

imported post

You look to me as a Glock guy. I am a 1911 guy. We could get into a good OLD nasty discussion on that subject if ya want to. 9mm,40, no good, 45 is the only real cal. :celebrate

Just a little ice breaker there. HA ha ha ha . :p
Dave

Glock17

imported post

Oh I am a big believer in the .45 and its ballistics. I just don't see it as my carry of choice or calliber of choice. Although the half dollar sized mushrooms do appeal to me at times.

Yeah I will be there. My wife likes her SB. What Star B is it and what time is the meet? I kinda missed that info. Cheers

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Glock17 wrote:
For me this is the issue. This is the only store I go to. I don't want to get removed from the store or band from the store. My wife would kill me. We don't shop at any other place. So I understand what you guys are saying. You have worked hard to normalize open carry. And I approached it in a very casual way. I don't see how I can approach it any other way. Its just the way I am. I don't go to Star Bucks because I don't believe in there product. I just wanted to know how they felt about open carry. I think in time I will not worry so much. All good points by the way. I have a learning curve going on here. So be patient.

But ask yourself this question, if Trader Joe's calls back and they say that the don't allow open OR concealed carry in their business, what will you do? Will you shop somewhere else? A man of conviction would. Will you concealed carry in thier business, thus activiely violating their policy? Or, will you leave your firearm in the car or at home and continue to shop there?

+1. This is the real question here...

And as a general comment, there are those here that have standardized how things have been done, and have been "through the fire" multiple times (ask Mainsail about hismultiple encounters with TPD, etc...) and have paved the way for this new influx of people that have joined both the board, but more importantly, the practice of OC.

There is a reason why there is a Do Not Patronize list stickied on the Forum 55, and well-documented reason behind any business name that is on that list. I have never had a truly negative experience OCing, and I attribute that to those who have "gone before" both to educate the public, and educate me, either directly or indirectly. We have all had/have a learning curve, and realizing this was part of mine. "He did it this way, and it worked, so it can work for me too." etc... To say that the headway that has been made in the last 5 years from the relatively small number of board members here has gone overlooked by the general public would be drastically absurd.

I appreciate new and energetic people joining the board and the OC movement, but it is importantfor everyone to realize thatthe cause and the SOP have been well-established, like it or not. Do not expect that efforts to walk the fence on specific issues to be well-received by all.

Glock17

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
Glock17 wrote:

Honestly no matter what they say I will still shop there. I don't leave family because they disagree with me. And yes my glock will be in my trunk. :uhoh: It could be worse. We could not have the right to bare arms at all. But because of God and the spirit of the universe we do. Cheers

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Glock17 wrote:
Honestly no matter what they say I will still shop there. I don't leave family because they disagree with me. And yes my glock will be in my trunk. :uhoh: It could be worse. We could not have the right to bare arms at all. But because of God and the spirit of the universe we do. Cheers

You have your freedom to choose, but its troubling to hear you say this. By allowing the management of the TJ's to dictate to you what you should do, you are literally giving up your right to bear arms (in their corner of the universe). It would be different if you were asked to leave, etc... but by putting the ball in their court, you indirectly say that you life is worth less than your relationship with the employees of a grocery store.What happens when they all quit, or close the store?

I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or anything, I'm just curious if that is really what is most important to you...

Glock17

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Glock17 wrote:

You have your freedom to choose, but its troubling to hear you say this. By allowing the management of the TJ's to dictate to you what you should do, you are literally giving up your right to bear arms (in their corner of the universe). It would be different if you were asked to leave, etc... but by putting the ball in their court, you indirectly say that you life is worth less than your relationship with the employees of a grocery store.What happens when they all quit, or close the store?

I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or anything, I'm just curious if that is really what is most important to you...
Wow you are all hitting me with good questions. In the last 3 months I have started shopping at Trader Joes. I have lost 40 pounds and feel alive for the first time in years. I can't see myself shopping at another place because of economics and because of the fact that they have ethics. They don't sell garbage food like alot of these stores do. I won't name names. So this hits close to home for me. I think thats why I feel its an important issue. I am sorry if I come acrossed as not caring about the open carry cause. Because I care about it alot. When someone carries a gun into a store they may be confronted. They may not. I can tell you that with my experience so far it hasn't been an issue. Well thanks for all the insight ladys and gents. Cheers

SpyderTattoo

imported post

69Charger wrote:
You look to me as a Glock guy. I am a 1911 guy. We could get into a good OLD nasty discussion on that subject if ya want to. 9mm,40, no good, 45 is the only real cal. :celebrate

Just a little ice breaker there. HA ha ha ha . :p
Dave

... I carry a Glock, that is chambered in .45 ACP. I'm actually going to be getting another one this week sometime. Hmmmm... Two Glock's in .45 ACP.

Remember, 1911's aren't the only guns to fire .45 ACP.

1911's are what you show your friends.

Glock's are what you show your enemies.

:p

kparker

imported post

glock17,

One other recommendation:

At the same time you are hoping others will take you seriously, you should grant them the same respect and not make blanket statements like "So am I going to act like a macho man and walk in there with my glock on my side and see if I can push buttons". (There are, of course, some individuals who act this way, and there's nothing wrong with calling them out for it by name. But as it is you tar all of us with that same motivation, and it's certainly not true for most.)

antispam540

imported post

How about we keep OCing quietly without asking anyone, and you keep calling store management and asking if you can carry, and everybody quits posting about it.

I don't see any need to post a new topic for every store you call or time you call them, especially when the majority of people on here don't care about or agree with what you're doing. All you'll do is get people angry at you - it's obvious you don't have any intention of changing your mind, and nobody here is going to change theirs, so further posts are not constructive.

This boils down to you doing what you want to do, and us doing what we want to do. Your reasoning is subjective and personal, as is ours.

I personally think it's a bad idea to ask permission to use a right you already have, and other people here seem to share my viewpoint, but we could throw all the logic in the world at you and you'd simply ignore it and continue to do what you want. So, keep doing what you want, but I hope I and everyone else will ignore or otherwise render futile any further posts made on the subject.

Glock17

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
How about we keep OCing quietly without asking anyone, and you keep calling store management and asking if you can carry, and everybody quits posting about it.

I don't see any need to post a new topic for every store you call or time you call them, especially when the majority of people on here don't care about or agree with what you're doing. All you'll do is get people angry at you - it's obvious you don't have any intention of changing your mind, and nobody here is going to change theirs, so further posts are not constructive.

This boils down to you doing what you want to do, and us doing what we want to do. Your reasoning is subjective and personal, as is ours.

I personally think it's a bad idea to ask permission to use a right you already have, and other people here seem to share my viewpoint, but we could throw all the logic in the world at you and you'd simply ignore it and continue to do what you want. So, keep doing what you want, but I hope I and everyone else will ignore or otherwise render futile any further posts made on the subject.
I like how the term you and we is used. A self assigned speaker for the group. I see this alot. Its not productive or applicable to this situation. I only speak for me. And thats why I don't belong. Because I am not apart of a Borg collective. Freedom seldom comes in one package. Seldom fits into one thought process. But I understand how you feel. And yes in the future I will not waste the time of the forum on what I thought was a good idea. In which I come to find out is a crime against all things good in the universe. Get Real. Cheers

END_THE_FED

imported post

I will be going to the drug store in the next few days, I just left a Voicemail for the floor manager to make sure it is ok to wear my "leatherman" style multitool on my belt while shopping or if it is against policy, also asked if wallets are ok or if I will need to use a moneyclip. Ill post an update and let everyone now what he says.Now that I think of it I have a few shirts that some may find offensive I will also ask if is ok to wear them in the store or not.

Glock17

imported post

I am starting to see a fit of democracy here. 30 Wolves and 1 Sheep. Its actually very funny. But yup I see your point. Cheers

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Glock17 wrote:
And yes in the future I will not waste the time of the forum on what I thought was a good idea. In which I come to find out is a crime against all things good in the universe. Get Real. Cheers
seattleguns.net might be what you are looking for. They are less focused on their image, and are just a bunch of dudes with guns and big mouths. Try over there! Be aware though, don't let a couple of them start biting, the rest will start biting and their douche mod will ban you.

*not telling you gtfo, this is a serious suggestion*

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

END_THE_FED wrote:
Please know, that was not meant as an attack. Just joking around trying to throw a few laughs into the mix
Shoulda thrown a smiley in there. When I skimmed over it, I thought it was a sarcasm attack. :uhoh: