• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please stop shopping at Meijer

kryptonian

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
kryptonian wrote:
been to 2 other meijer stores (wixom and livonia) OC no problem. the commerce store that kicked me out today was recently robbed at gunpoint early in the morning when they first opened or prepared for daily registers to open. 6 employees including my neighbor were held at gunpoint and manager locked in vault. reeks of inside job. surprised they didn't check their work schedule on the way out. what better reason to endorse OC?
wonder what would happen if a dozen organized OC people went into store one at a time and all shopped around.
question - if you got told to leave store and return on another date OC would the first removal still be effect? they could always tell police you were told before.
if CC in store and something happened and you didn't intervene you could always tell them that you would have but this store doesn't like guns.
today i went right back to sporting dept, found my item and was heading out to pay and be gone. my stopping to talk to the guys allowed time for them to act. i stood right out in aisle. this was my first store removal. oh well. lesson learned.

January 25, 2010

http://www.wwj.com/pages/6200654.php?

yeah springer..thats the one

SpringerXDacp

imported post

kryptonian wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
January 25, 2010

http://www.wwj.com/pages/6200654.php?

yeah springer..thats the one

It's unfortunate the employees went through this, however, does corporate or management actually think that banning OC or even CC and/or posting a "no firearms allowed" signs will prevent such subsequent occurrences? I think not. It would only illustrate the sheepish mentality that what they don't see wont hurt them. Sad really.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

This is what I was told at Walmart, so they are no better... I still can't enter my local one w/ a firearm as the manager decided "No Firearms". Corporate manager told me same thing.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DrTodd wrote:
This is what I was told at Walmart, so they are no better... I still can't enter my local one w/ a firearm as the manager decided "No Firearms".  Corporate manager told me same thing.
smellslikemichigan wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
"I thought it was Wal-Mart who lent it to the manager's discretion."

This is correct for Wally Worlds nationwide. 
that is incorrect.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=40385&forum_id=30&highlight=walmart
this is well documented. download the mp3 of the walmart marketing office phone call.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

And I've got an .mp3 of MY conversation with Walmart... so who's conversation "trumps"?
Since I am aware, have the recording, and have personally been informed not to enter w/ a firearm, I don't go because then I would be trespassing.

hopnpop

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
And I've got an .mp3 of MY conversation with Walmart... so who's conversation "trumps"?
Since I am aware, have the recording, and have personally been informed not to enter w/ a firearm, I don't go because then I would be trespassing.
:banghead:In all honesty, that wouldn't prevent me from shopping at WalMart.... just not THAT WalMart. But again, not everyone has more than 1 WalMart nearby. If told strictly no firearms, including CC, I think I'd be pissed but it's their perrogative. I'd still take that mp3 that was posted and take it in for your store's manager to listen to and see if that changes anything. I think it'd have a chance.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

hopnpop wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
:banghead: In all honesty, that wouldn't prevent me from shopping at WalMart.... just not THAT WalMart.  But again, not everyone has more than 1 WalMart nearby.  If told strictly no firearms, including CC, I think I'd be pissed but it's their perrogative.  I'd still take that mp3 that was posted and take it in for your store's manager to listen to and see if that changes anything.  I think it'd have a chance.

I really have nothing against Walmart. I also understand the "right" of a manager to ask anyone to leave, as long as it is not illegal to do so. My issue is with the manager. He seemed so upset and really blew it, as far as I am concerned. He was very afraid of me and was shaking during the whole encounter. But I think that the fear he had, at least in his mind, forced him to confront me in a more hostile manner than what was probably called for. He told me that he didn't want firearms in his store, neither OC nor CC. When I told him that it was likely that many many people shopped at the store daily with pistols under their shirts or coats, he seemed to become even more scared and refused to believe that what I said was probably true. He then refused to consider anything more and told me to leave and that I could only come back without my firearm... I left the items in the cart and walked out the door. As I was walking past the registers I did hear a cashier state to another cashier "I don't get what the big deal is, so he had a gun". I have not gone into a Walmart since then. The reason is simple: when I contacted the corporate offices, I was told that yes, they honored state law, but that a manager always has the right to ask a customer to leave, as long as the request is not based upon race, religion, etc..

B

Bikenut

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
My issue is with the manager. He seemed so upset and really blew it, as far as I am concerned. He was very afraid of me and was shaking during the whole encounter. But I think that the fear he had, at least in his mind, forced him to confront me in a more hostile manner than what was probably called for.
I wasn't there, didn't see it happen, and don't have a right to say a thing about it... but I'm gonna anyway. :)

I'm also well aware that a representative of a store can require anyone to leave at any time for almost any reason... but I want to offer a different perspective concerning how that manager handled the situation....

Perhaps the manager was NOT afraid of you at all. The hostility and physical manifestations mimicking fear could have been simple............... outrage..... that you dared to present an openly carried gun into his domain. And perhaps what appeared to be fear and hostility was nothing more than the adult version of the adolescent game "Mine is bigger than yours!"

I can never understand how an anti gun person can aggressively and angrily get right up into the face of someone with a gun right there in plain sight...:what: .... Makes no sense what so ever... unless looked at from the perspective of that tired old game of asserting a dominant position.

Ok... I'm done rambling.........

Bailenforcer

imported post

taken from OC experiences thread, post by kryptonian:
OC today running errands and ran into Meijer store in commerce. grabbed a cleaning bore brush to clean my sister's .22 rifle. got stopped by 4 young high school guys who asked me about it. i said 18 to carry but a guy in sporting goods corrected me saying it was 21. not sure if that was right but was a good rep for open carry when i was approached by a meijer employee - not sure if manager or not - asked me what that was on my leg. said it was a handgun. he said i suggest you leave because i wasn't a uniformed LEO. said ok and can i buy this and leave? he said no i suggest you leave right now. can i take it back to the aisle or do you want to do it? he said he would. told those kids it happens and to research it on this site. i left and he and a couple other employees walked about 40 feet behind me. as with any of these things you think of stuff you should have said later on. what i should have said was "didn't your store get robbed at gunpoint about a month ago and taken for about $20k?"
went up to walmart and got it CHEAPER and no problems. was a medical emergency going on in the pharmacy and Oakland Co. deputy was there and EMS rolling in. the deputy stopped me OC weeks ago at end of my street and was polite, professional and i was going to thank him for that but he looked busy so went home.
Ok here we go again..

The telephone number you gave as corporate headquarters is a gas station number for a Meijer's Gas station. if we are going to complain we need to get our ducks in order. I am sure the gas station attendant is probably fed up with calls already.

I was able to post a letter from Lowe's yesterday about an incident someone else had. Their policy was the same as all corporate policies of any major store. Hands OFF!

You stated you had no idea if that person was a manager. Not very tactical on your part. If I am approached by some self indulgent employee who decides his/her personal feelings on weapons is also Corporate Policy by Decree then I immediately contact the GENERAL MANAGER !!

if that goes south I politely leave and call Corporate, and I don't just think I am calling Corporate I take names, numbers and titles of nobility. That way if I am contradicted I know who caused the problem. I also record my conversations and have someone listening to the conversation via the speaker phone so I have a "competent" witness to verify what is said. And ones brother in law who spent time in prison is not what I consider a competent witness for the record.

Diplomacy gets you in any door if you know how to play that card.

I have carried for most of the last 32 years daily and frankly never had one single issue. yes many countless times OC. But I dress like a man not some bubba who wears a Mullet, waring a old flannel shirt with the sleeves ripped off, and not looking like I am 5 days from the last shower and shave. Presentation is everything! How do you think fancy eateries can charge $100 for a plate of nasty food? It's all in the presentation!

I will if I have the time call Meijers Corporate on Monday and see what I can do to get an Official statement.

I am aiming this post at no one in particular I am aiming it at everyone as information on how to deal with a situation.

Oh and the Lowe's incident was some New employee and who decided they were management. The manger put her in her place in a employee meeting. Well done! I talked with the manger, the Police dept after a long conversation with Lowe's Corporate, and the letter I posted in the OC experiences thread page 272

Bailenforcer

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
My issue is with the manager. He seemed so upset and really blew it, as far as I am concerned. He was very afraid of me and was shaking during the whole encounter. But I think that the fear he had, at least in his mind, forced him to confront me in a more hostile manner than what was probably called for.
I wasn't there, didn't see it happen, and don't have a right to say a thing about it... but I'm gonna anyway. :)

I'm also well aware that a representative of a store can require anyone to leave at any time for almost any reason... but I want to offer a different perspective concerning how that manager handled the situation....

Perhaps the manager was NOT afraid of you at all. The hostility and physical manifestations mimicking fear could have been simple............... outrage..... that you dared to present an openly carried gun into his domain. And perhaps what appeared to be fear and hostility was nothing more than the adult version of the adolescent game "Mine is bigger than yours!"

I can never understand how an anti gun person can aggressively and angrily get right up into the face of someone with a gun right there in plain sight...:what: .... Makes no sense what so ever... unless looked at from the perspective of that tired old game of asserting a dominant position.

Ok... I'm done rambling.........
It's called the Last great act of defiance. see the pic I included.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

i don't know where the number is for corporate, if that's not it, sorry. i haven't tried to call them in a while. they seem to be very good at hiding the number. i will try and locate the correct number.

Bailenforcer

imported post

i don't know where the number is for corporate, if that's not it, sorry. i haven't tried to call them in a while. they seem to be very good at hiding the number. i will try and locate the correct number.
That gas station number you gave out. I called it and the employee gave me the Corporate number

616-453-6711 Meijer's Corporate Offices

It's Saturday so even though the Operator answered the telephone, obviously no one was in till Monday.

I will call Monday and try to get a letter... Like the Lowe's letter download it, and keep it in the car so if there's any incident you can show the Manager and the Police if they show up. CYA! This is how battles are won these days.