• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We would prefer you not carry a firearm

deanf

imported post

dean piss up a rope and learn to read what was written.

Again, simmer down. No reason to get nasty.

City Agencies do not have the authority to enforce any rules upon citizens that are in violation of the State Constitution or State Law.

To make it simple: no duh.

The State Legislature are the only ones that can make or change the law not an agency.

Again, no duh.

I guess my only question is, why are you making arguments about things which we are not discussing?

Go ahead and continue with your promoting anti-gun agenda.

I'm not anti-gun. I personally believe anyone of any age should be able to own and carry any gun anywhere. I also know that as much as I wish my beliefs were reality; they are not. There are certain restrictions on the right to own and carry guns, including (potentially) in this case. Now, for the THIRD TIME, this government-as-private-property-owner argument, vis-a-vis it's authority to set administrative rules of conduct on it's property, is not yet settled.

That's all I'm pointing out.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

deanf wrote:
dean piss up a rope and learn to read what was written.
Again, simmer down. No reason to get nasty.

City Agencies do not have the authority to enforce any rules upon citizens that are in violation of the State Constitution or State Law.
To make it simple: no duh.

The State Legislature are the only ones that can make or change the law not an agency.
Again, no duh.

I guess my only question is, why are you making arguments about things which we are not discussing?

Go ahead and continue with your promoting anti-gun agenda.
I'm not anti-gun. I personally believe anyone of any age should be able to own and carry any gun anywhere.
Yeah I have heard and seen Politicians that say the same thing as you have here and yet want to restrict our gun rights.

To make it simple for you, what I have posted supports the right to carry even in State Agencies that are not prohibited by law, you know in that RCW 9.41.300

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I get what you are saying DeanF and you are right they can't pre-empt themselves.

But this doesn't mean that the law doesn't apply to them it is a state wide law. It isn't pre-empted it just simply is the law. If the RCW specifically excluded the state than yes they could set up their own varying regulations but it doesn't.

So to sum up my argument it is a State law the pre-emption clause is to ensure that other gov. agencies not associated with the state can't enforce laws contrary to the state law and so in my opinion (which might not mean much) state agencies cannot enforce their own rules regarding firearms contrary to the RCW's either.

Ajetpilot

imported post

In general if there is no law prohibiting an action, then it is legal. RCW 9.41.300 does not prohibit carrying a firearm in a state liquor store. Therefore, it is legal. The state liquor control board does not have a rule against it. What's the problem?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
In general if there is no law prohibiting an action, then it is legal. RCW 9.41.300 does not prohibit carrying a firearm in a state liquor store. Therefore, it is legal. The state liquor control board does not have a rule against it. What's the problem?

Agreed. +1

But hypothetically if they did would it be against state law? My opinion yes. DeanF 's no, but that is not to say he thinks it is right they should.

Aaron1124

imported post

Why are we calling each other names over this manner? Will proving a point here as to who is right really make a difference to you personally? And Dave, just because someone may have a different opinion than you (especially when it's not an opinion of personal preference, but on a legality) it means they have an "anti gun agenda"? Are you serious, or trolling?

Calm down.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Why are we calling each other names over this manner? Will proving a point here as to who is right really make a difference to you personally? And Dave, just because someone may have a different opinion than you (especially when it's not an opinion of personal preference, but on a legality) it means they have an "anti gun agenda"? Are you serious, or trolling?

Calm down.
Aaron you are the one that brought this stupid argument to the forefront by quoting and supporting an anti-gun position, which is arguing situations that do not apply to the current discussion.

Point be it that the State Legislature is the only ones that can make or change State Law. This does not give state agencies the ability to ignore or violate the State Constitution or State Laws either.

And I will calm down when you become educated enough to stop making stupid arguments in support of the anti-gun group position.

joeroket

imported post

Where in the laws or constitution does it forbid a state agency from creating policies that restrict firearms?

The Washington State Supreme Court does it as they do not provide lockboxes. They can do this because the laws only apply, as Dean has said many times, to counties and municipalities.

Preemption is only applicable to "Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities". Believe it or not the head of the LCB is part of "The State of Washington".

These are the reasons that I believe the preemption statute should be changed to be more specific in that only Washington State Legislature is authorized to create or enact statutes, code, or policy that restricts the possession and carry of firearms. There should also be a civil penalty put upon any person(s), or head of any agency, that attempts to create or enact any law or policy that restricts the possession or carrying of firearms.

Aaron1124

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

Calm down.
Aaron you are the one that brought this stupid argument to the forefront by quoting and supporting an anti-gun position, which is arguing situations that do not apply to the current discussion.

Point be it that the State Legislature is the only ones that can make or change State Law. This does not give state agencies the ability to ignore or violate the State Constitution or State Laws either.

And I will calm down when you become educated enough to stop making stupid arguments in support of the anti-gun group position.
Ah. Troll job. Gotcha.

o2ryan

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
The District manager for my area has informed me that we are ok to carry in the stores and that the Liquor Control Board signs (under 21) are invalid at the liquor store locations.

If the store manager has an issue with your weapon I would take it up with the District manager of your area.

Spokane Area district manager is: [font="Trebuchet MS, Arial, san-serif"]GRANT BULSKI (509-625-5523)[/font]
http://liq.wa.gov/services/searchresults.asp

Thanks M1Gunr, I will contact him and let you know how it goes.

Carry On!
Snarly

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

joeroket wrote:
PT 1. Where in the laws or constitution does it forbid a state agency from creating policies that restrict firearms?

PT 2. The Washington State Supreme Court does it as they do not provide lockboxes. They can do this because the laws only apply, as Dean has said many times, to counties and municipalities.

PT 3. Preemption is only applicable to "Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities". Believe it or not the head of the LCB is part of "The State of Washington".

PT 4. These are the reasons that I believe the preemption statute should be changed to be more specific in that only Washington State Legislature is authorized to create or enact statutes, code, or policy that restricts the possession and carry of firearms. There should also be a civil penalty put upon any person(s), or head of any agency, that attempts to create or enact any law or policy that restricts the possession or carrying of firearms.
PT 1. Article 1 Section 24 The Right to Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed. This is something that all governmental agencies must abide in, it is a right.

PT 2. One cannot deduct from this as it being legal or not due to it ignoring State Law, if you will also note there are Cities and Counties that ignore this as well, does that make it lawful for them also, NO.

It may take someone going through the process to push the issue to have them install lock boxes or have representatives to secure your weapon for you , have you check upon the later of the two choices? probably not.

RCW 9.41.300 (b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;
PT 3. Preemption is listed out in RCW 9.41.270 and it applies to Cities Towns and Municipalities.
They and the State must abide by the Washington State Constitution as well and this is where the agencies that try and prohibit firearms such as Work Source tries to do but again a court case will be needed to force the issue.

PT 4. The State Legislature are the only ones to create or modify State Laws and they retained jurisdiction over the firearms laws with in Washington State.

deanf

imported post

Why are we calling each other names over this manner?

"We" aren't. He is.

I somewhat agree that it is stupid to even be talking about it.

LCB doesn't restrict guns. So again we are arguing over something totally academic. That's what we do best here.

I just want people to make the correct argument(constitutionality) when rebutting some LCB clerk who doesn't know what she is talking about.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

deanf wrote:
PT 4. The State Legislature are the only ones to create or modify State Laws and they retained jurisdiction over the firearms laws with in Washington State.

We're not talking about laws.
Yet this is only where our government agencies can enforce, rules are just department policy and do not supersede State laws or the Constitution.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

deanf wrote:
Why are we calling each other names over this manner?

"We" aren't. He is.

I somewhat agree that it is stupid to even be talking about it.

LCB doesn't restrict guns. So again we are arguing over something totally academic. That's what we do best here.

I just want people to make the correct argument(constitutionality) when rebutting some LCB clerk who doesn't know what she is talking about.
Now Simmer down there buckaroo !

Ajetpilot

imported post

joeroket wrote:
These are the reasons that I believe the preemption statute should be changed to be more specific in that only Washington State Legislature is authorized to create or enact statutes, code, or policy that restricts the possession and carry of firearms. There should also be a civil penalty put upon any person(s), or head of any agency, that attempts to create or enact any law or policy that restricts the possession or carrying of firearms.
I like it!

deanf

imported post

There should also be a civil penalty put upon any person(s), or head of any agency, that attempts to create or enact any law or policy that restricts the possession or carrying of firearms.

There is already a criminal penalty attached. RCW 9.41.810.

amzbrady

imported post

deanf wrote:
There should also be a civil penalty put upon any person(s), or head of any agency, that attempts to create or enact any law or policy that restricts the possession or carrying of firearms.

There is already a criminal penalty attached. RCW 9.41.810.
Too bad nothing was done to ex-Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels for the park ban, or the snohomish counsel for their gun ban. Should also be a finders fee, like an monitary award for finding wrongful bans. Bet they would be more careful.

PT111

imported post

SnarlyWino wrote:
I was visiting one of our local liquor stores OC this afternoon and was in the store for almost ten minutes when I heard the clerks cackling about something. Soon one of them walks up to me and says "We would prefer you not carry your firearm inside our liquor store."

"O.K." I said politely, "But I am within my rights as a Washington State resident in doing so."

"I know, it just makes a little nervous." she reply's and walks away.

I am thinking to my self "O.k, are you asking me to leave? Would you like me to cover it up? What?!" But nothing more was said and my wife and I continue shopping with no further incident.

I would have loved to engage this gal in further conversation, but it was over as soon as it started. Was there a different way to handle this?

Snarly :?
Why is everyone getting their jaws all out of whack over this? There wasn't a dang thing wrong with what she did.

Suppose instead

I was visiting one of our local liquor storeswhistling this afternoon and was in the store for almost ten minutes when I heard the clerks cackling about something. Soon one of them walks up to me and says "We would prefer you not whistle inside our liquor store."

"O.K." I said politely, "But I am within my rights as a Washington State resident in doing so."

"I know, it just makes my ears hurt." she reply's and walks away.

Would we be having this same argument. I will admit that for some reason the most aggravating sound in the world to me that I know of is someone whistling. I know they are well within their rights to do so but I cannot stand it. She asked nicely, she did not threaten the OP, that was the end of it so lay off. If she takes more action next time then complain. Until then she was within her rights as a Washington State resident to ask him not to.