• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We would prefer you not carry a firearm

Aryk45XD

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
deanf wrote:
I agree. The email appears to simply be their policy that they choose to enact. They can restrict carry if they choose to, but thankfully, most state agencies don't.

Sorry, misread that last post of yours.

State agencies make policy for their employees.

They do not make them for customers and citizens.
I was disscussing this very topic with SVG at the cleanup. Twice I have been told about policy in a store with no signage. When I simply asked if the rule was for employees or paying customers, I was either told they did not know or they would look into it. The conversations were civil and I was allowed to continue OCing while shopping.

o2ryan

imported post

Below is the conversation thread I had with the regional manager.

[size=-1][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mr. Bulski,[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]My name is Ryan and I would like to share with you a recent experience I had while visiting store #167 on the evening ofMay 14th 2010.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I am a current Concealed Pistol License holder and have been for many of my 35 years as a Washington resident. As WA has no restriction on the practice of Open Carry (exposed, holstered firearm) I may on occasion participate in this practice as it suits me depending primarily on how I am dressed. On this particular occasion I happened to Open Carry while shopping at this store with my wife. We were in the store for approximately 10 minutes when one of the clerks approached me and suggested that I should not be carrying a firearm into a liquor store. I attempted to politely explain to her that I was not breaking any laws, but shequickly stated that it tends to make her nervous and walked away without any further discussion.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I am not writing you to complain about this incident in any way. Myrights were in no way violated and I was allowed to continue shopping, and will most likely continue to shop at this location. However, I do write to suggest that you may take this opportunity toremind yourlocal employees of state laws as they pertain to the rights of their customers and the possession of legal firearms in your stores.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Please indicate to the employees involved in this matter that I had no intention of intimidating either them or other customers, that I am just a law abiding citizen acting within my rights as a WA resident to protect myself and those around me. I thank you for your time and would be interested to hear your perspective on this situation.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thank You,[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ryan[/font]

--
Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria[/size]

[size=-1]Mr. Wilson,[/size]
[size=-1]

I have discussed this incident with the manager, Burke at this store. There is a R.C.W. that prohibits state employees from carrying a firearm in the state liquor stores. This does not prohibit the public, like you, that has a concealed weapon permit from carry a firearm while shopping. I would like to offer an apology to you for this incident and I have covered this with the store manager to cover with the employees for future references.

With the economic downturn, more and more people are turning to robberies and it has the public a little on edge. Thank you for your taking the time to bring this issue to my attention and your professionalism in presenting this situation to me.

Sincerely,

Grant Bulski

Washington State Liquor Control Board

District Manager-District # 1

[/size][size=-1]Mr. Bulski,

Thank you for your prompt and professional reply, and no apology is necessary. I understand the perception by some in the public to be concerned about the presence of a handgun. This in part is why there are many of us engaging in this practice in an effort to change the public perception of firearms possession, to show the public that the vast majority of gun owners andgood and responsible people and to remind them that we still have a right and responsibility to protect ourselves from those who would wish to do harm against us.

Ask yourself, when is the last time you saw a criminal openly displaying a weapon that was not in the act of committing a crime? I suspect the answer is never. A criminal will do everything they can to conceal their intent until they have engaged in the act of committing a crime. My point being that seeing someone with a holstered weapon who has shown no indication of wrong doing should not be considered a threat in this society.

I apologise for taking up any more of your time on this. I realize that you did not solicit any further response, but I as I watch so many of the personal freedoms that made this country so great slowly slip away, I tend to get a little passionate about defending them.

I will not bother you any more with this subject, and I thank you again for the appropriate manor in which you have handled this matter.

Thank You,
Ryan
[/size]

heresolong

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Until then she was within her rights as a Washington State resident to ask him not to.
Whoa! She was not acting as a Washington state resident. She was acting as an employee of the liquor store. If she wants to act as a private citizen she needs to clock out, take off her name tag, and talk to him on her own time.

PS Great letter, great response, glad this worked out just the way it should have.

PT111

imported post

heresolong wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Until then she was within her rights as a Washington State resident to ask him not to.
Whoa! She was not acting as a Washington state resident. She was acting as an employee of the liquor store. If she wants to act as a private citizen she needs to clock out, take off her name tag, and talk to him on her own time.

PS Great letter, great response, glad this worked out just the way it should have.
So if you go in there whistling and talking loud cussing and yelling, since there is no law against that only other customers can tell you to stop? She did not tell him that there were any restrictions or laws or anything else other than she/they (the other employees in there at the time) would prefer that he not carry. It was their own personal choice and not that of the store or management. If she had said something about the store rules or anything like that it would have been different but she said we prefer, meaning he own personal preference. Get off your high horse, some people don't like guns and that is their personal right.

o2ryan

imported post

PT111 wrote:
So if you go in there whistling and talking loud cussing and yelling, since there is no law against that only other customers can tell you to stop?  She did not tell him that there were any restrictions or laws or anything else other than she/they (the other employees in there at the time) would prefer that he not carry.  It was their own personal choice and not that of the store or management.  If she had said something about the store rules or anything like that it would have been different but she said we prefer, meaning he own personal preference.    Get off your high horse, some people don't like guns and that is their personal right.

PT111,

I understand your perspective, and I did not bring the story up to complain that I was mistreated, I was simply sharing an experience.

As an individual the clerk did have every right to say what she did, other than the fact that she was representing her employer when she did, implying that it was the position of her employer that I not carry in the store which lead to the conversations contained in this thread.

Maybe you are so bitter that SC in not an OC state that you missed that subtlety, or maybe you are just an angry jerk. Either way, relax and think twice about posting on subjects you really can't relate to.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
So if you go in there whistling and talking loud cussing and yelling, since there is no law against that only other customers can tell you to stop? She did not tell him that there were any restrictions or laws or anything else other than she/they (the other employees in there at the time) would prefer that he not carry. It was their own personal choice and not that of the store or management. If she had said something about the store rules or anything like that it would have been different but she said we prefer, meaning he own personal preference. Get off your high horse, some people don't like guns and that is their personal right.

There is a law against:

RCW 9A.84.030
[/b](1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if the person:

(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault;

(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority;

(2) Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor.

Trigger Dr

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
PT111 wrote:

There is a law against:

RCW 9A.84.030
[/b](1) A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if the person:

(a) Uses abusive language and thereby intentionally creates a risk of assault;

(b) Intentionally disrupts any lawful assembly or meeting of persons without lawful authority;

(2) Disorderly conduct is a misdemeanor.
Remember this for the next anti outburst at a public meet up. :celebrate

deanf

imported post

There is a R.C.W. that prohibits state employees from carrying a firearm in the state liquor stores. This does not prohibit the public, like you, that has a concealed weapon permit from carry a firearm while shopping.
Anyone else see anything wrong with those two statements?

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I do.

One, no permit is required for open carry.

Two, where's the law against state employees carrying in a state liquor store?

heresolong

imported post

PT111 wrote:
heresolong wrote:
PT111 wrote:

Get off your high horse, some people don't like guns and that is their personal right.
High horse? I was just pointing out that when you are working for an employer on the premises of that employer, your actions can reasonably interpreted as acting for that employer.

o2ryan

imported post

deanf wrote:
There is a R.C.W. that prohibits state employees from carrying a firearm in the state liquor stores. This does not prohibit the public, like you, that has a concealed weapon permit from carry a firearm while shopping.
Sorry, I missed both of those when responding to him.

amzbrady

imported post

deanf wrote:
sentence run on, and no pluralization on carry...