• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Countdown to McDonald

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Monday, Monday.
Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me hopin' all of the time

Yata hey

With apologies to The Mamas & The Papas

B

Bikenut

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Monday, Monday.
The next four words are "can't trust that day."
Beat me to it!!!!

Now where is the "pouty" emoticon?

:)

Editied to add....

I am looking for the Supreme Court's decision with trepidation. I expect any gains to be lost due to the allowance of "reasonable restrictions" being added to the decision. Just as in "Heller"...

And how those "reasonable restrictions" shake out is anyone's guess.... and I suspect will take much time and many court battles to resolve.... but.....

"Reasonable restrictions" flies in the face of "shall not be infringed"..... which, given the state of society today, seems to be too much for many folks (I don't include savvy freedom loving people in that category of "folks" mentioned) to even get inside their heads... much less understand.

But then that glorious written document called the Constitution has been perverted into ... that odd piece of paper someone has to figure out what we want it to mean.....

Sorry... once again I digress off into the truth.

Legba

imported post

It's been rather a long time since I've posted. All the political squabbling got tiresome around the election. Anyway, I think we all have common cause with the coming McDonald ruling. Whatever future cases will make of "reasonable regulation," we still stand to gain greatly by having the 2A binding on state and local governments - Heller isn't sufficient for those of us actually living in the states. The prevailing wisdom is that it will find incorporation under the 14A "due process" clause, even if only by 5-4. I'll take it where I can get it.

A heartfelt, if slightly premature, congratulations to everyone advocating for our rights.

-ljp

Cypher

imported post

“To me, any gun taken off [the street] saves thousands of lives in America. I really believe that. I don’t care what you tell me.”
:banghead:

Thundar

imported post

Legba wrote:
It's been rather a long time since I've posted. All the political squabbling got tiresome around the election. Anyway, I think we all have common cause with the coming McDonald ruling. Whatever future cases will make of "reasonable regulation," we still stand to gain greatly by having the 2A binding on state and local governments - Heller isn't sufficient for those of us actually living in the states. The prevailing wisdom is that it will find incorporation under the 14A "due process" clause, even if only by 5-4. I'll take it where I can get it.

A heartfelt, if slightly premature, congratulations to everyone advocating for our rights.

-ljp
Welcome back Legba!

We-the-People

imported post

Oh....the guy that should have been put in jail when he, in the dead of the night, tore up the runway at Midway field. Runways built with federal tax dollars that the city gladly accepted but which came with strings that the runway had to remain open.

The same Daley that should have gone to jail for his illegal activities.

The same Daley that should have been required to write a city check to the federal treasury to reimburse taxpayers for the millions of dollars that were destroyed.

The same Daley who was given a "pass" by the Chicago thuggery (and undoubtedly a chunk of change from the developers that had been drooling over the land at Midway).

THAT Daley? Like he has any credibility, he's just another criminal.

We-the-People

imported post

Incorporation but with a bogus and subjective "reasonableness" cracker for the anti's to play with, at our expense. The big cities will be somewhat appeased as will the rapid anti's while giving citizens a little more ammunition in the fight for carry.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's FULL BLOWN INCORPORATION but don't hold your breath.

Don Tomas

I guess we'll all find out together. Looking forward to reading the findings, either way.

Superlite27

I'm not going to get my panties in a knot, but hopefully,...........Hopefully, they take into account how Washington D.C. reacted to the Heller ruling by running circles around it using the "reasonable" wording.

I'm torn down the middle on how D.C. reacted to the Heller ruling will influence their McDonald ruling. I'm leaning toward "favorably". Heller could have been the best thing that ever happened to us. My reasoning:

If I was charged with making a "rule", and I did so only to have everyone dance around it, make up excuses not to follow it, and exempt themselves from it by claiming it doesn't affect them...........

....and now I'm charged with making another rule that definately will affect everyone????

I'm going to make damned sure folks aren't going to dance around it this time.

Here! Dance around THIS M@^%*R F&(#*R!

Of course, never forget that these are "Washington Insiders" making the rules. Just because they are justices, they are still political appointees, making political rules. They are political animals. Therefore, keeping things vague in order to allow "skirting" could be thier intention. The Heller reaction might be the way they wanted it to happen allowing them to come out with a "favorable" ruling with no real change in the status quo.

However, from their personal profiles, I really don't think this is the case. 1)Their reaction during Obama's State of the Union speech, (Remember when Obama "disagreed" with one of their rulings and Justice Stevens shook his head?) 2)the reaction and complete disregard of Heller, and 3)the possibility of negative reaction by the justices to recent appointees might just work in gun rights supporters' favor.

It's very possible they might come down with a very specific and "undancearoundable" ruling. At least, I hope so. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

The Donkey

The Supreme Court always releases their most important decisions on the last monday of the term: here is my prediction: full incorporation, under the DP Clause, with some supposed "liberals" joining the decision. > but nothing this time about "reasonable restrictions" or otherwise about standards of review under the 2nd Amendment. That case -- the most important 2A case -- will have to wait another day.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to agree with The Donkey. The question before the court is Incorporation Yes or No. We will get an answer of Yes and combined with Heller, that means that Chicago's absolute ban will be struck down. The question of level of scrutiny and what limitations ARE permissible will probably need to be resolved in another case (or more likely several).

John

The Supreme Court always releases their most important decisions on the last monday of the term: here is my prediction: full incorporation, under the DP Clause, with some supposed "liberals" joining the decision. > but nothing this time about "reasonable restrictions" or otherwise about standards of review under the 2nd Amendment. That case -- the most important 2A case -- will have to wait another day.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

I'll eat my hat if a "supposed 'liberal'" joins the pro second side. Moonbats like ruth badger ginsburg and sotomayer are purely about their ideology, leftist authority, period. Our guns prevent them from fully controlling society, and they despise it. That said im not optimistic our "conservatives" will issue a ruling that won't allow for all sorts of inane restrictions and registration.

jaiotu

Unfortunately, it's quite possible that there might be a conservative angle toward defeating McDonald: The 10th Amendment. SCOTUS could rule in favor of States Rights, which is another Conservative value right up there with the 2nd Amendment. Keep your fingers crossed.

eye95

Unfortunately, it's quite possible that there might be a conservative angle toward defeating McDonald: The 10th Amendment. SCOTUS could rule in favor of States Rights, which is another Conservative value right up there with the 2nd Amendment. Keep your fingers crossed.

I don't know why no one ever argues this in court, but the following disables the 10th Amendment when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, but not when it comes to the 1st Amendment: The 1st says "Congress shall make no law..." The 2nd says "...shall not be infringed." The wording of the 2nd does not say who is restricted from infringing. The implication, since the Framers specified who in the 1st, yet chose not to do so in the 2nd, is clear: Every level of government shall not infringe on the RKBA, not just Congress, not just the feds.