• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on OC at stores

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
As far as OC-ing in the car. Yes you can OC and it has to be plainly visible, usually on the seat. As of July 1st non-CHP holders can also secure a loaded handgun in the glovebox or center console (really any "secured" container but those come to mind first). In the past those containers would be considered concealment and require a CHP. You can also simply keep it in your holster, although seatbelts seem to hide them a bit I haven't read anywhere of anyone getting in trouble with their gun holstered.View attachment 3338

I would highly recommend NOT to put your sidearm on a seat unless you anticipate imminent trouble. The reason is if you have to stop quickly, there is a very good chance your gun is going to fly off of the seat onto the floor. Best to keep it where it belongs, in your holster, unless you perceive an imminent threat.

Walt_Kowalski

I would highly recommend NOT to put your sidearm on a seat unless you anticipate imminent trouble. The reason is if you have to stop quickly, there is a very good chance your gun is going to fly off of the seat onto the floor. Best to keep it where it belongs, in your holster, unless you perceive an imminent threat.

+1000

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just a note about asking to speak to the manager.

Good managers are dependent on good employees. It puts him in a very unpleasant position to stand in public and critize an employee that's just trying to enforce whatthey think store policy is. Even if they're wrong.

I find it's usually better to leave and then take it up in private.

That said, I'm not known for tact. Grapeshot once accused me of snarling at people.
That's just a misconception. It's really a smile:lol:

But I do leave when asked to do so and take it from there.

nova

During that FBI shootout in Miami in the 1980s one of them had unholstered their firearm while driving. They ended up wrecking their vehicle just before the suspects began shooting, and the guy who had unholstered his firearm previously no longer had it in his possession.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
During that FBI shootout in Miami in the 1980s one of them had unholstered their firearm while driving. They ended up wrecking their vehicle just before the suspects began shooting, and the guy who had unholstered his firearm previously no longer had it in his possession.

Yep. I have a very lengthy account of this incident in a book by Massad Ayoob called, "Ayoob Files: The Book". Much detail in the report given in this book.