• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC a Large Revolver?

UtzChips

I guess I'm a chicken, if I think I'll need my pistol somewhere, I am not going in.

I carry everywhere I can legally and really hope to never use it. I would not go to a place where I thought there was a good chance a shooting would break out.

Careful what you say! You may end up getting the same "scolding/accusation" from Grapeshot that I did, despite all your posts and length of membership here: Grapeshot : "You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too."

In my original post to the person with the cool cylinder gun, I couldn't help but chuckle. A really nice gun that I'd like to have, however, I couldn't pass on the chance of making a facetious reply.

ATTENTION: Posters be Advised: UtzChips loves to be the "class clown" so don't take my posts, or replies to yours in the wrong context.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I guess I'm a chicken, if I think I'll need my pistol somewhere, I am not going in.

I carry everywhere I can legally and really hope to never use it. I would not go to a place where I thought there was a good chance a shooting would break out.

Careful what you say! You may end up getting the same "scolding/accusation" from Grapeshot that I did, despite all your posts and length of membership here: Grapeshot : "You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too."
--snipped--
Ron73440 - you would never be viewed as a chicken for exercising good judgement. Your thoughts and reasons are held in high regard.

UtzChips - if I scolded you it was either for violation of the forum rules or the basic tenets of OC as expressed by OCDO.

To even suggest that I might be anti OC is ludicrous, preposterous, and borders on personally insulting.

UtzChips

Please cite where an OCer has ever been premptively taken out by a BG in the course of a robbery anywhere in the USA in modern times - security and LEOs excepted.

"Announcing" your status has been convincingly shown to deter crime, stop attacks before they occur and generally provide for your well being.

You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too. :(

Grapes, I read my post you're responding to AGAIN & I'm sorry, but I just don't see how one could interpret it any other way other than it being my personal decision of what I've decided is best for me. I do not believe that I have an responsibility to my community to act as "deterrent" to BGs because, unlike a cat, I only have one life.

So, during the summer, when it's not advantageous to CW, I OC when I carry. I'm just picky as to when & where. In the situation of driving up to Sheetz at 1am and seeing a crowd of rowdies inside, who look as though they could be liquored up & menacing, I don't feel a responsibility to go in there "OCing" in an attempt to deter any illegal action.

Now if I spotted her: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/robert-farago/the-hidden-benefit-of-open-carry/ walkin' in, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going 2b OCing when I go in!. In a case like that, I'd be breaking my "right to a long life" principal. =)

However, I would make an attempt to determine if she was wearing a wedding ring, because that would defeat the purpose. =(

Last edited:

UtzChips

Ron73440 - you would never be viewed as a chicken for exercising good judgement. Your thoughts and reasons are held in high regard.
So why weren't mine? I expressed the exact same position.

UtzChips - To even suggest that I might be anti OC is ludicrous, preposterous, and borders on personally insulting.

Why do you think I made such an accusation? Is it because I quoted to Ron what you said to me in a previous reply to one of my earlier posts: [Grapes statement to me: "You would seem to be more of an anti OCer - and on an OC site too."]

You got confused by my post to Ron, no?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapes, I read my post you're responding to AGAIN & I'm sorry, but I just don't see how one could interpret it any other way other than it being my personal decision of what I've decided is best for me. I do not believe that I have an responsibility to my community to act as "deterrent" to BGs because, unlike a cat, I only have one life.

So, during the summer, when it's not advantageous to CW, I OC when I carry. I'm just picky as to when & where. In the situation of driving up to Sheetz at 1am and seeing a crowd of rowdies inside, who look as though they could be liquored up & menacing, I don't feel a responsibility to go in there "OCing" in an attempt to deter any illegal action.

Now if I spotted her: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/robert-farago/the-hidden-benefit-of-open-carry/ walkin' in, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going 2b OCing when I go in!. In a case like that, I'd be breaking my "right to a long life" principal. =)

However, I would make an attempt to determine if she was wearing a wedding ring, because that would defeat the purpose. =(

Of course how anyone carries is their own personal decision.

If I recall correctly, you made a reference to being the first one taken out if OCing and I asked you for a cite supporting that position. That is hardly a scolding or accusation of any type. No I don't support/recommend going anywhere that has obvious warnings of a bad place to be, but I also don't support false reasoning for not OCing either.

UtzChips

Of course how anyone carries is their own personal decision.

If I recall correctly, you made a reference to being the first one taken out if OCing and I asked you for a cite supporting that position. That is hardly a scolding or accusation of any type. No I don't support/recommend going anywhere that has obvious warnings of a bad place to be, but I also don't support false reasoning for not OCing either.

Grapes, The only possible statement I have made in this thread, that you could have taken to mean the OCer would be the 1st one taken out, is my reply to ThomasJefferson about his revolver, and I quote: "Do you ever OC with that puppy when runnin' around town? Reason I ask is: If you go into Sheetz/7-11 at 10PM & BGs roll in & say "stick 'em up!" and they notice you back in the beer cooler with that BIG gun on your side & start shootin' at you............. whatz your estimate on your reload time then? 60 secs? =)"

Based on same, I can only conclude that you cannot tell when one is being facetious [Def: amusing or humorous. lacking serious intent.] OR: you are suspicious of new members and haven taken it upon yourself to ensure that they are not an "Anti-OCer" in disguise.

At the risk of sounding like I'm telling you what to do, which I'm not, I'd recommend that you go ahead and conclude that UtzChips jumps at any chance to make a joke when he thinks he has the opportunity to do so. I mean, my handle should have given that away from the JUMP! I also believe that my use of the words "puppy" and "stick 'em up" would allow the average Joe/Jane to immediately draw that conclusion.

If U want to be helpful, you could direct me to the location where I add a signature line. I cannot, for the life of me, find it. Even following the directions in the FAQs.

"I don't need your civil war! It feeds the rich, while it buries the poor. Presidents send 'em off to die as if they get 'em in a human grocery store! Yea, I don't need your civil wars!" 58,209 U.S.A. deaths in Vietnam. Avg age 23.11 yrs

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapes, The only possible statement I have made in this thread, that you could have taken to mean the OCer would be the 1st one taken out, is my reply to ThomasJefferson about his revolver, and I quote: "Do you ever OC with that puppy when runnin' around town? Reason I ask is: If you go into Sheetz/7-11 at 10PM & BGs roll in & say "stick 'em up!" and they notice you back in the beer cooler with that BIG gun on your side & start shootin' at you............. whatz your estimate on your reload time then? 60 secs? =)"

Based on same, I can only conclude that you cannot tell when one is being facetious [Def: amusing or humorous. lacking serious intent.] OR: you are suspicious of new members and haven taken it upon yourself to ensure that they are not an "Anti-OCer" in disguise.

At the risk of sounding like I'm telling you what to do, which I'm not, I'd recommend that you go ahead and conclude that UtzChips jumps at any chance to make a joke when he thinks he has the opportunity to do so. I mean, my handle should have given that away from the JUMP! I also believe that my use of the words "puppy" and "stick 'em up" would allow the average Joe/Jane to immediately draw that conclusion.

If U want to be helpful, you could direct me to the location where I add a signature line. I cannot, for the life of me, find it. Even following the directions in the FAQs.

"I don't need your civil war! It feeds the rich, while it buries the poor. Presidents send 'em off to die as if they get 'em in a human grocery store! Yea, I don't need your civil wars!" 58,209 U.S.A. deaths in Vietnam. Avg age 23.11 yrs

The best way to denote sarcasm or humor is either with emoticons or in inclusion of (sarcasm) or similar. Much is lost in the written word as it is lacking tone, voice inflection, and facial expression, so indicators are helpful. In any event, no animosity was intended.

Will send you a PM shortly on how to set up a signature line.

S&W500

Does anybody OC a large framed revolver?

I have a 1960 S&W Model 27 (N frame .357) with a 5" barrel that spends too much time in the safe. Its a gorgeous gun and I'd love to carry it from time to time, but the thought of carrying an N frame revolver seems absurd... its just plain heavy, especially for only 6 rounds!

If you carry an N frame or equivalent sized wheel gun I'd like to hear about your experiences. Is the weight or bulk ever an issue? How about capacity? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI, I usually carry an XD 40 Subcompact or a Kimber Custom CDP II.

I frequently carry a s&w 500 with 8 3\8 barrel in the woods, i use a shoulder holster and suprissingly i hardly notice its there. Carry whatever your comfy carrying.

.45acp

Well, Back to the topic the OP posed.

I carry a 3" 629 S&W fairly often, with two speed loaders on the off side.

It is not as comfortable as a 1911, but with proper leather it does work well. Not to mention, 240 grs at 1150 fps is a lot of horsepower for SD work.

FTG-05

S&W 329PD .44 Mag revolver, but I carry it with .44 Special loads; Hornady 180 grain JHPs.

Great gun to carry, absolutely a handful with full power .44 Mag loads, a complete pussycat with .44 Specials.

I carry in a Safariland 567 black pancake holster.

tomrkba

:banana: Where are the pics? :banana:

RugerGP100Black-PMK.jpg

Ruger GP100 in a Milt Sparks PMK

Alaskan-800x600-muzzle.jpg

Ruger Alaskan in 44 Magnum

I'd love to carry it from time to time, but the thought of carrying an N frame revolver seems absurd... its just plain heavy, especially for only 6 rounds!

The Alaskan weighs 45 ounces unloaded while the "airweight" Model 27 weighs around 38-40 ounces unloaded. The Alaskan is not difficult to carry; I even carry it in the appendix position. Hiding the long grip is difficult and it needs to be replaced with something shorter. The key is a Comp-Tac kydex reinforced belt at least 1.5" wide and a good holster.

Last edited:

hafnhaf

I also usually carry an XD 40 Subcompact, loaded with a mix of fmj and jhp. sometimes i will carry my para-ordinance p12, also with a mixed magazine. when i carry a revolver, it is my judge polymer public defender with 000 buck. i dont suppose that counts as a large-frame though...

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
I like to open carry my S&W 620 which is an L Frame revolver with a 4 inch barrel. It is not as large as an N-Frame though.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I took my Navies for a spin in town today. 51 avenging angel, and 51 cartridge conversion. Not a word was said until Walmart, where I garnered positive attention several times. One couple gave me a thumbs up, another my wife and I spent a few minutes answering questions on open carrying, and one gentleman said "NICE". I gotta admit I love the attention those two guns garner.

S&W357mag

I've carried a large revolver for over 30 years, but I've carried a wheel gun for more than 45 years, though nothing large until the late 70's. I own both auto loaders, and wheel guns, but I've just always felt more secure with a wheel gun, the bigger the better in my opinion. Currently I carry one of my S&W 66's a lot, both are snub's, but they are large enough for me. Other wise I sometimes carry a SRH 44 mag. or a SBH also 44 mag.. And when I really feel the need for big, I carry my Taurus 608, which has an 8 shot cylinder and compensated barrel, it's a beast. The SP101 is another favorite of mine.

I've got one XDM and one XD sub compact, both .40's. Every now and then I take them out for a walk, but my wife prefers carrying them more than I do. And I have a whole bunch of 9mm's, that's the one auto loader cartridge I really like a lot. It's a high velocity round that can be even higher velocity, if hand loaded with the right components. The .40 is nice too, don't get me wrong, but it's a temperamental cartridge to reload, and eats brass much quicker than the 9mm.

I'm working on getting my hands on a .454, Taurus makes a pretty decent one that I've been eye balling. And since I reload, I can shoot without it breaking the bank.

Folks around here don't usually say anything to me about the big wheel gun on my hip. And generally, most of the comments are usually positive or inquisitive.

S&W357mag

Batousaii

Awesome!

I think it's great that this three year old thread is still alive and active :)
- And Yes, I still have my Vaquero, and even added another revolver to the collection (Rossi .38spcl Snubby in Stainless).

WalkingWolf

I think it's great that this three year old thread is still alive and active :)
- And Yes, I still have my Vaquero, and even added another revolver to the collection (Rossi .38spcl Snubby in Stainless).

Rossi is a good little revolver. I am thinking about buying a 38 spl police positive, I love the 32-20 I recently acquired. It is going on my list along with a new 44 spl blackhawk. I love revolvers.