• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Representative Gabrielle Giffords

Super Trucker

<SNIP>

I also wonder why there is so much emphasis upon charging the criminal with charges concerning only the government officials and staff members who were shot... but little to no mention is being made of charges in relation to all the other ordinary citizen victims who were also shot?

<SNIP>

I agree. This type of thinking is tragic. A murder is a murder is a murder. It doesn't matter if the victim is POTUS, Speaker of the House, or the homeless guy living under the bridge downtown. Also it doesn't matter if it was a kitchen knife, a baseball bat, or a firearm.

I have no problem with them charging him with only the government officials death.
That means an almost certain federal death penalty sentence.
If he is charged with a regular persons murder he might get life in a state prison.

Why play all your cards at once?

sk8erord

I believe the feds charged him for the federal crimes, but the state has the option to also charge him for the other murders.

Sent from my Droid

Bailenforcer

If it wasn't strange enough....

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=249381

WND ARIZONA MASSACRE
Did Giffords subscribe to assassin's YouTube?
Bizarre connection: Online pages indicate some type of relationship
Posted: January 09, 2011
11:08 pm Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2011 WorldNetDaily

In a bizarre turn of events, the YouTube website of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords suggests she subscribed to the YouTube channel of her suspected attempted assassin, Jarred Loughner, at some point before the shooting incident.

Given YouTube rules, for Giffords to subscribe to Loughner's YouTube channel would have required an affirmative action taken by Giffords or by someone with access to her YouTube username and password to establish the subscription link.

Loughner's YouTube subscription channel under the username "Classitup10" was created on Oct. 25, 2010, and his last two videos were posted to the channel on Dec. 15, 2010, approximately three weeks before the shooting.

Read more: Did Giffords subscribe to assassin's YouTube? http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=249381#ixzz1AbqFB0tS

WND ARIZONA MASSACRE
Did Giffords subscribe to assassin's YouTube?
Bizarre connection: Online pages indicate some type of relationship
Posted: January 09, 2011
11:08 pm Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2011 WorldNetDaily

In a bizarre turn of events, the YouTube website of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords suggests she subscribed to the YouTube channel of her suspected attempted assassin, Jarred Loughner, at some point before the shooting incident.

Given YouTube rules, for Giffords to subscribe to Loughner's YouTube channel would have required an affirmative action taken by Giffords or by someone with access to her YouTube username and password to establish the subscription link.

Loughner's YouTube subscription channel under the username "Classitup10" was created on Oct. 25, 2010, and his last two videos were posted to the channel on Dec. 15, 2010, approximately three weeks before the shooting.

(Story continues below)

While it is now known that Loughner worked for Gifford's election campaign in 2007, that Gifford subscribed to Loughner's website since Oct. 25, 2010, suggests the two may have been in contact more recently.

Oddly, the only other YouTube channel Giffords subscribed to was that of former Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., who lost his seat in November to Republican challenger Vicky Hartzler.

A page from Gifford's YouTube website demonstrates she had subscribed to only two YouTube users: Loughner (username: Classitup10) and Rep. Ike Skelton:

Gifford's YouTube website is shown in the following two screen captures, broken up here because of the size of the webpage on YouTube.

The second part of the Giffords YouTube homepage shows the subscription to Loughner's YouTube website, with the username "Classitup10" listed at the bottom, on the far left:

The profile of Loughner’s YouTube website shows he created his subscription channel on October 25, 2010.

"Was Loughner added after the shooting?" asked a commentary at Atlas Shrugs. "If not, it is creepy and weird. Really weird."

The Wall Street Journal also reported in Loughner's home was found a form letter from Giffords' office, thanking him for attending a 2007 event.

Today he was charged with two counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder and a count of trying to kill a member of Congress.

He remains in custody.
Sponsored Link: The Most Important Day in America in 50 Years... It’s Coming in 2011. This day will change everything about our nation and your day-to-day life. Watch the eye-opening video presentation here...

Related Offer:

Understand what's happening to America's culture and what you can do to fight it with "How Evil Works," autographed, from the WND Superstore.

Previous stories:

Look who else put 'bull's-eye' on Giffords

Assassin's politics lean 'left wing, quite liberal'

Read more: Did Giffords subscribe to assassin's YouTube? http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=249381#ixzz1AbqZYcri

Bailenforcer

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...191163461466.html?mod=rss_Politics_And_Policy

Suspect Fixated on Giffords
Accused Gunman Went to Congresswoman's Event in 2007; 'I Planned Ahead'

TUCSON, Ariz.—Accused gunman Jared Lee Loughner appeared to have been long obsessed with U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

A safe at Mr. Loughner's home contained a form letter from Ms. Giffords' office thanking him for attending a 2007 "Congress on your Corner'' event in Tucson. The safe also held an envelope with handwritten notes, including the name of Ms. Giffords, as well as "I planned ahead," "My assassination," and what appeared to be Mr. Loughner's signature, according to an FBI affidavit.

Jared Lee Loughner, the man suspected of a shooting spree that killed a Federal Judge and critically wounded Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, had left a trail of online videos in which he railed against the government. WSJ's Neil Hickey reports.

Federal authorities charged Mr. Loughner on Sunday with two counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder and a count of attempting to kill a member of Congress, during a scheduled public appearance by Ms. Giffords here Saturday. More charges are expected, officials said, and Mr. Loughner, age 22, remains in federal custody. He will appear in federal court in Phoenix on Monday afternoon.

Mr. Loughner had complained to a friend about how he was treated by the Arizona lawmaker during an event several years ago, which aggravated Mr. Loughner, according to the friend.

Authorities allege Mr. Loughner's anger exploded on Saturday. Shortly after 10 a.m., as U.S. District Court Judge John Roll greeted Ms. Giffords in front of a Safeway supermarket, authorities charged Mr. Loughner fired a Glock 9mm semiautomatic pistol into the back of her head. In the seconds that followed, say authorities, Mr. Loughner shot 19 others, six fatally, including the judge and a 9-year-old girl, before his gun jammed and he was wrestled to the ground.

Hospital officials said Sunday that Ms. Giffords had responded well to brain surgery, though she is still in critical condition. Four other patients who suffered critical wounds were moved out of intensive care.

Federal investigators are still gathering evidence to determine what prompted Mr. Loughner to carry out the attack. Investigators suspect Mr. Loughner acted alone, giving few signs of any violent intent.
[LionTop] Reuters

Man believed to be accused gunman Jared Loughner, top, from his MySpace page

Mr. Loughner was a scrawny, average teenager with a mop of curly hair. He played saxophone at football games and jammed with a friend's garage band. In his freshman and sophomore years at Mountain View High School, Mr. Loughner flew under the radar.

"All he did was play video games and play music," said Tommy Marriotti, a high school friend. Mr. Marriotti said much of Mr. Loughner's free time was devoted to the school band. He wasn't especially political, Mr. Marriotti said, though he expressed frustration with the Bush Administration.

Christina Lunderberg, 21, a high school bandmate, said Mr. Loughner, as a saxophone player, "was really good and talented, and arrogant."

Alex Montanaro, who described himself as once having been one of "Jared's best friends" said his buddy was a good, smart kid who was close to his parents. "Throughout our time together all I saw was a normal, loving relationship," he said.

But around the 10th grade, Mr. Loughner seemed to have "a mental downfall" following his break-up with a girlfriend, said Mr. Montanaro, who responded to questions via email.
Audio

* 911 Calls Placed in Shootings' Aftermath
* Hear More 911 Calls from the Scene

Mr. Loughner started acting strangely, Mr. Montanaro said, and "his friends changed from people like us to more, drug oriented people I suppose." He quit playing saxophone and was eventually ignored by his old friends. "Jared really became an outcast," he said.

Friends say by his junior year Mr. Loughner used drugs and his grades slumped. He didn't return for his senior year.

In 2007, the year he would have graduated from high school, Mr. Loughner was arrested in Pima County and charged with possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia, according to court records. His case was dismissed.

Mr. Loughner went "through a tagging phase" in 2009, said Mr. Montanaro, painting graffiti, using phrases from literature. He also would sit in unlocked cars, he said, until the night he was chased off by one car's apparent owner.

One of Mr. Loughner's ambitions was to be a writer, said Mr. Montanaro, and he shared his stories with friends. One short story was about a "reporter during the end of the world speaking with an angel," he recalled.

WSJ's White House Correspondent Jonathan Weisman explains the political context and ramifications of the shooting today of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords at a Tucson supermarket.

Mr. Loughner later enrolled in classes at Pima Community College, where he became disruptive and unstable.

Math instructor Ben McGahee said Mr. Loughner's frequent off-topic outbursts during an algebra course last summer frightened other students. On his first test, Mr. Loughner wrote "Mayhem Fest!!!" in large letters, Mr. McGahee said.

Mr. McGahee said he tried to remove Mr. Loughner from class on several occasions, but college officials didn't agree.

Bailenforcer

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2011/01/jared-loughners-behavior-recor.html?hpid=topnews

Posted at 4:03 PM ET, 01/ 9/2011
Jared Loughner's behavior recorded by college classmate in e-mails
By David A. Fahrenthold

In early June, Lynda Sorenson, 52, had gone back to community college in Tucson in hopes of getting back on the job market. One of her classes was a basic algebra class--and one of her classmates was Jared Loughner, now identified by authorities as the man who killed six people and critically wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) in a shooting rampage Saturday. Sorenson's e-mails to friends from last summer, provided to the Washington Post, reveal her growing alarm at Loughner's strange and disruptive
behavior in class.

From June 1, the first day of class:
"One day down and nineteen to go. We do have one student in the class who was disruptive today, I'm not certain yet if he was on drugs (as one person surmised) or disturbed. He scares me a bit. The teacher tried to throw him out and he refused to go, so I talked to the teacher afterward. Hopefully he will be out of class very soon, and not come back with an automatic weapon."

From June 10:
"As for me, Thursday means the end to week two of algebra class. It seems to be going by quickly, but then I do have three weeks to go so we'll see how I feel by then. Class isn't dull as we have a seriously disturbed student in the class, and they are trying to figure out how to get rid of him before he does something bad, but on the other hand, until he does something bad, you can't do anything about him. Needless to say, I sit by
the door."

From June 14:
"We have a mentally unstable person in the class that scares the living crap out of me. He is one of those whose picture you see on the news, after he has come into class with an automatic weapon. Everyone interviewed would say, Yeah, he was in my math class and he was really weird. I sit by the door with my purse handy. If you see it on the news one night, know that I got out fast..."

The class's instructor, Ben McGahee, said in an interview Sunday that Loughner had been removed from class in its third or fourth week, because of repeated disruptions.

By David A. Fahrenthold | January 9, 2011; 4:03 PM ET

Bailenforcer

This congresswoman needs to face a political backlash of the highest degree for this blatant attempt to use such a tragedy for her own political gains.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html

Carolyn McCarthy readies gun control bill

By SHIRA TOEPLITZ | 1/9/11 5:57 PM EST

One of the fiercest gun-control advocates in Congress, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), pounced on the shooting massacre in Tucson Sunday, promising to introduce legislation as soon as Monday targeting the high-capacity ammunition the gunman used.

McCarthy ran for Congress after her husband was gunned down and her son seriously injured in a shooting in 1993 on a Long Island commuter train.

“My staff is working on looking at the different legislation fixes that we might be able to do and we might be able to introduce as early as tomorrow,” McCarthy told POLITICO in a Sunday afternoon phone interview.

Gun control activists cried it was time to reform weapons laws in the United States, almost immediately after a gunman killed six and injured 14 more, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, in Arizona on Saturday.

Many said that people with a history of mental instability, like the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, should not be able to buy a gun — and no one should be able to buy stockpiles of ammunition used by the 22-year-old assailant.

McCarthy said she plans to confer with House Speaker John Boehner and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to see “if we can work something through” in the coming week.

McCarthy’s spokesman confirmed the legislation will target the high-capacity ammunition clips the Arizona gunman allegedly used in the shooting, but neither he or the congresswoman offered any further details.

“Again, we need to look at how this is going to work, to protect people, certainly citizens, and we have to look at what I can pass,” McCarthy said. “I don’t want to give the NRA – excuse the pun – the ammunition to come at me either.”

Pennsylvania Rep. Robert Brady, a Democrat from Philadelphia, told CNN that he also plans to take legislative action. He will introduce a bill that would make it a crime for anyone to use language or symbols that could be seen as threatening or violent against a federal official, including a member of Congress.

Another vocal supporter for gun control, Illinois Rep. Mike Quigley, told POLITICO that he hopes “something good” can come from the Arizona tragedy – perhaps discussion on a new assault weapon ban, sales at gun shows and tracing measures.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47338.html#ixzz1Absujcr9

Bailenforcer

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47316.html

2 pols say they'll be armed back home

By ERIKA LOVLEY | 1/9/11 12:38 PM EST

Several lawmakers are already changing their security arrangements in wake of the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), and at least two lawmakers say they’ll now be packing firearms in public when they’re in their home districts.

Both Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) and Rep. Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) told POLITICO they will be carrying their guns in their home districts for protection. Both lawmakers hold a conceal and carry permit, but will not carry their weapons in the District of Columbia.

Shuler, who received a serious death threat in 2009, says he is planning to carry his weapon more often and boost security at his district events. He’s even encouraging his staffers to get their own conceal to carry permits.

“You never think something like this will happen, but then it does,” Shuler said “After the elections, I let my guard down. Now I know I need to have [my gun] on me. We’re going to need to do a much better job of with security at these events.”

The Capitol Police are also reassessing lawmaker security both in Washington and around the country.

Chaffetz said he’s also going to pursue whether U.S. Marshalls – who usually guard federal judges – could be expanded to guard members of Congress as well during district events.

“Perhaps they could better assess threats in the home district,” said Chaffetz, who praised the work of U.S. Capitol Police. “It certainly ought to be on the table.”

Chaffetz says he may ask local police officers to drop in on his town hall meetings more frequently.

Chaffetz recently contacted Capitol Police to investigate a man who was canvassing his Utah neighborhood, asking questions. Since yesterday, he’s also received several threatening messages on his Twitter account, which he’s asked the police to look into.

“It’s unfortunate that these things happen, but if you’ve been in Congress any amount of time, you know we often get various threats,” he said.

Rep. Darrell Issa’s (R-Calif.) district office is busy installing a touchable keypad in order to protect its district workers from unannounced visitors. Issa’s office was the target of a bomb plot back in 2001. Issa, a California Republican, has since had a threat assessment conducted on his offices, according to his spokesman Kurt Bardella.

“I think what you’re going to see is a combination of the Sergeant at Arms and Capitol Police work with congressional leadership to do more threat assessments for district offices,” Bardella said.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47316.html#ixzz1AbtZP3lb

ken243

Stainless I agree and understand your point. I would not like to see another brady or any ignorant anti-2A be given the spotlight and laws because of personal events. I also do not want such people to make law abiding citizens defenseless or hinder their ability to protect themselves or their family. That is the real crime.

I also ask like others here. Why was no one else armed?

quarter horseman

I also ask like others here. Why was no one else armed?

I was thinking the same thing, in my opinion because she was a Dem. most of the people there were more than likely left themselves, and we all know leftists dont want anyone to have guns so they more than likely do not carry guns themselves. To bad for them because one of them could have stopped him from shooting as many as he did, I wish the left could see it this way.

B

Bikenut

I have no problem with them charging him with only the government officials death.
That means an almost certain federal death penalty sentence.
If he is charged with a regular persons murder he might get life in a state prison.

Why play all your cards at once?

I understand what you mean... however I'd like to point out that there seems to be an elitist slant to this where if a person is a government official their life is much more important than just an ordinary citizen's life. That is elevating a certain class of people above "we the people" and it is not correct.

When a person is harmed by a criminal where they work, who they work for, how much money they make, should be immaterial as far as the law(s) are concerned since the crime is the same regardless of who it happened to.

The same principal holds true regardless of the implement, gun, knife, baseball bat, tire iron, sharp stick, the criminal used to inflict the harm.

There have been many high profile shootings but this one is the only one the entire House of Representatives has postponed regular business to stand in wait in order to be ready to pass "special" (my word) legislation to address this particular shooting. Why? Because no longer does "all men are created equal" apply.

Hang on to your hats folks.... I fear there will be a host of new legislation making government officials a "special" class of folks.... and a flood of gun control legislation flowing downhill that even God Himself couldn't stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tucker6900

Permit carrying citizen?

Ive read though this thread and have been unable to see if anyone confirmed if a permit carrying citizen was actually there and attempted to end the fight. Anybody have any leads on this? This would be great information to be able to pass on to our local units of government attempting to pass illegal ordinances.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I was thinking the same thing, in my opinion because she was a Dem. most of the people there were more than likely left themselves, and we all know leftists dont want anyone to have guns so they more than likely do not carry guns themselves. To bad for them because one of them could have stopped him from shooting as many as he did, I wish the left could see it this way.

She was considered a blue dog democrat and was pro-gun. She did comment on the McDonald decision as getting it right. So from what I have heard on the news, she didn't seem to be anti-gun at all.

Michigander

Ive read though this thread and have been unable to see if anyone confirmed if a permit carrying citizen was actually there and attempted to end the fight.

Arizona is one of the few free states. No need for any permits to carry, though they are available for residents traveling out of state.

Super Trucker

I understand what you mean... however I'd like to point out that there seems to be an elitist slant to this where if a person is a government official their life is much more important than just an ordinary citizen's life. That is elevating a certain class of people above "we the people" and it is not correct.

When a person is harmed by a criminal where they work, who they work for, how much money they make, should be immaterial as far as the law(s) are concerned since the crime is the same regardless of who it happened to.

The same principal holds true regardless of the implement, gun, knife, baseball bat, tire iron, sharp stick, the criminal used to inflict the harm.

There have been many high profile shootings but this one is the only one the entire House of Representatives has postponed regular business to stand in wait in order to be ready to pass "special" (my word) legislation to address this particular shooting. Why? Because no longer does "all men are created equal" apply.

Hang on to your hats folks.... I fear there will be a host of new legislation making government officials a "special" class of folks.... and a flood of gun control legislation flowing downhill that even God Himself couldn't stop.

The part in red was done so to highlight what my last comment was dirrected at. A federal judge already is a "special" class of folk (I am 98% sure of), which is why I feel the shooter when found guilty will get the death penality.
I am not saying I agree with that , but it is what it is.

The rest of your post is also spot on and I agree with you 100%

Last edited:

CoonDog

Based upon watching hid YouTube videos, I believe he thought of himself as a revolutionary, in the "overthrow" sense of the word. He felt victimized, identified the .gov as the problem, recognized the American Revolution as a past solution to such a problem, and then acted, he thought, in a manner consistent with past revolutionaries to attack the .gov in response.

I can understand if he may have found the awakening process (to the true state/nature of .gov) to be alarming, as many folks do, but I don't understand why he thought this was a possible solution. Perhaps he doesn't think that rousing the herd the voice their opposition is a successful tactic, but how could he imagine this tactic would effect change? Does he think of himself as a martyr and hope to be imitated? Lone gunman rarely have copycats, if ever.