• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guide in workplace fo active shooter

warrior1978

Oh, and as for this, trivial research shows that in major cities like New York, Philly, Chicago, etc., the death rates (while on duty) for police are lower than the homicide rates for the general populace. I believe I've cited to authority on this point in the past. That's right, if you're a citizen in Philly, you're more likely to be murdered than a cop is to die in a car accident on his way to the donut shop.

So, nonsense.

So what are you saying? Prior to 9/11, statistically a service member was more likely to killed by just about anything but actual combat.

Those who serve be that military, law enforcement and fire fighers are patriots. Many other "patriots" are better described by Mark Twain when he said ""Patriot: The person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about" [Mark Twain]

scot623

You and I were basically called sheep and you accuse Stainless of a personal attack???

I would guess 98% of the people police officers interact with are sheep. Most officers do not interact with citizens who provide for their own proctection by either concealing or open carrying a firearm. So is the officers statement that he protects "sheep" acurate? 98% of the time, yes. So I took no offense to that statement because I am not a sheep, and neither are most users of this site.

B

Bikenut

I realize this is a bit off topic but ...

The following is a personal perspective... an opinion if you will...

I am not a sheep for I do not mill around with the flock with my attention on fitting in with the flock.

I am not a wolf for I do not prey on the sheep.

I am not a sheepdog for I do not have the responsibility or desire to control or protect the sheep... nor do I have any wish to fight the wolf.

The word "wolf" is an accurate term for predatory criminals so I have no problem with that term.

I am a stray dog... I am warily friendly to the sheep and I avoid the wolf as I fend for myself yet I will fiercely fight to protect those I love... from both wolf and sheep.

That said... I don't like using the word "sheep" because it is derogatory to people who need to be educated that they too can defend themselves from the "wolf".

And the word "sheepdog" sounds so noble and nice... to be someone who protects the weak and innocent... but honestly look at what a "sheepdog" actually does with the "sheep" entrusted to it... it is the "sheepdogs" job to control the sheep in return for the illusion of the flock being protected while the dog's master does other, more important, things.

My job is to maintain control of my own ability to protect myself and those I care about... and in order to do that I carry a gun. I might come to the aid of an innocent person because my morals and ethics require helping those in danger but carrying a gun does not make it my job to help others... therefor as a private citizen I am not now, never have been, and never will be a "sheepdog".

TheQ

Oh, and as for this, trivial research shows that in major cities like New York, Philly, Chicago, etc., the death rates (while on duty) for police are lower than the homicide rates for the general populace. I believe I've cited to authority on this point in the past. That's right, if you're a citizen in Philly, you're more likely to be murdered than a cop is to die in a car accident on his way to the donut shop.

So, nonsense.

A good reason to train and carry a firearm as a private citizen.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So what are you saying? Prior to 9/11, statistically a service member was more likely to killed by just about anything but actual combat.

Those who serve be that military, law enforcement and fire fighers are patriots. Many other "patriots" are better described by Mark Twain when he said ""Patriot: The person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about" [Mark Twain]

Your response has literally nothing to do with my post.

And nobody is a patriot who doesn't respect the Constitution. That rules out huge number of LEOs right there.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I realize this is a bit off topic but ...

The following is a personal perspective... an opinion if you will...

I am not a sheep for I do not mill around with the flock with my attention on fitting in with the flock.

I am not a wolf for I do not prey on the sheep.

I am not a sheepdog for I do not have the responsibility or desire to control or protect the sheep... nor do I have any wish to fight the wolf.

The word "wolf" is an accurate term for predatory criminals so I have no problem with that term.

I am a stray dog... I am warily friendly to the sheep and I avoid the wolf as I fend for myself yet I will fiercely fight to protect those I love... from both wolf and sheep.

That said... I don't like using the word "sheep" because it is derogatory to people who need to be educated that they too can defend themselves from the "wolf".

And the word "sheepdog" sounds so noble and nice... to be someone who protects the weak and innocent... but honestly look at what a "sheepdog" actually does with the "sheep" entrusted to it... it is the "sheepdogs" job to control the sheep in return for the illusion of the flock being protected while the dog's master does other, more important, things.

My job is to maintain control of my own ability to protect myself and those I care about... and in order to do that I carry a gun. I might come to the aid of an innocent person because my morals and ethics require helping those in danger but carrying a gun does not make it my job to help others... therefor as a private citizen I am not now, never have been, and never will be a "sheepdog".

Indeed, the last thing this country needs is more "sheepdogs". What we need are Homo sapiens, self-reliant and independent.

stainless1911

Banned
I like your point of view Bikenut, did you actually write that? If so, well done. At the risk of resembling a collective right, a concept that sickens me, I feel a sense of civic duty to do my part as a citizen to protect some of the other, sheep, who are unwilling, unable, too young, or unwise enough to not take an active role in protecting themselves. As also a Christian, I feel that it is part of my role to be one who is willing to take the position of one who will protect, serve, and help others in this world. To me, carrying arms differs little from helping the poor, or simply holding the door for an old person.

B

Bikenut

I like your point of view Bikenut, did you actually write that? If so, well done.

Yes, I wrote that one day a while back after reading (on a different forum) an entire thread where folks were puffing their egos up expounding on how, because they carry a gun, they were now protectors of the weak... saviors of the victimized... somehow empowered and elevated above the ordinary "sheep"... and that elitist attitude annoyed me to no end. After thinking about it and examining my own attitude(s) about carrying a gun the concept of a "stray dog" just seemed to flow out.

Thank you Stainless1911 and VW_Factor for the compliment.

Please, if the "stray dog" concept fits for anyone else... use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Throw things at 950 fps.
That's good advice, IF you're allowed to have a gun at work. Most are not. Of course, you could always violate workplace policy, and risk losing your job by having a gun with you at work. But that's a choice everyone has to make on their own.

Me, I don't have to worry anymore. I broke my ankle at work last Sunday, so I'm off for the next 4-8 weeks now. :)

stainless1911

Banned
You should be careful man, between your heart, and now this, you're gonna make your doctors rich.

There are a bazillion jobs out there, your life is worth more than any of them. Just keep your gun to yourself, and if you save your boss's life with it someday, and he fires you, then you didn't mean anything to that company to begin with.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
You should be careful man, between your heart, and now this, you're gonna make your doctors rich.

There are a bazillion jobs out there, your life is worth more than any of them. Just keep your gun to yourself, and if you save your boss's life with it someday, and he fires you, then you didn't mean anything to that company to begin with.

Uh...no there are not, at least not in MI! Jobs that one can actually live on and feed a family are far and few in between in this state. I have several friends that are looking, care to share any of these openings via PM they would appreciate it. No snark here at all, I'm serious.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
?

Not much point in being the richest man in the cemetery.

Okay? I guess; so by your logic it's ok to starve for lack of work because you may get shot at said job? Your chances of starving will be at hand far quicker in most cases in my honest opinion. If you took a little more time to think about your posts and put some sincere thought into them I'm sure you would realize this. Not an attack - you know me, I know you.

I was just trying to help others in need. I take it that you don't know of any open jobs then?

Last edited: