Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anonyone know if Barnes and Noble follows State law when it comes to Open Carry?

Anonyone know if Barnes and Noble follows State law when it comes to Open Carry?

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems open carrying at Barnes & Noble 4th Plain Blvd.

I joined a book club that meets there monthly and was wondering if I would run into any problems.

Thanks for any information.

James

Been in B&N couple of times here in Washington and personally never have a problem...

Barnes and Noble follows state law when it comes to firearms. State law allows private companies to choose. Either way, they are following state law.

Presumably, based on the text of your post, rather than the title, you want to know if B&N has a policy prohibiting firearms in their bookstores, a subject of much indifference to state law. I have never had a problem but I have never heard a policy expressed one way or the other.

Been in both the Tukwila and the Fed way stores and never had a problem.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    What I received a few years ago.

Barnes & Noble
    Original Message From: "Mary Ausman" <MJAusman@bn.com>
    To: XXXXXXXXXXX
    Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:42 PM
    Subject: Barnes & Noble

Thank you for your email.

While we are unable to discuss customer situations with an uninvolved third part, to answer your question, Barnes & Noble complies with the law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.

Sincerely,
    Mary Ausman
    Supervisor, Customer Retention
    Barnes & Noble, Inc. 122 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10011
    tel: (800) 422-7717 fax: (212)352.3660 www.barnesandnobleinc.com
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    does not prohibit its customers from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.
    Even better. Thanks for the info.

Live Free or Die!

In time it might not matter what Barnes and Noble thinks about guns in their stores. With the e-Book revolution, B & N, Borders, and countless others are in such financial doo-doo that it won't be long that they will be closing stores as fast as the news media can report.

Who buys books anymore? At least the kind where you have to build shelves to hold them. As Dori Monson said on his show yesterday, "I can come home, eat dinner, watch some TV, and then go to bed to read for a while on my "Kindle". I can browse dozens of books, read the first chapter for free, and within seconds download one to read. Don't have to go to the store and spend $25 for a book that I can download for under $10.".

Bookstores will join other icons of the past like Ice Men, Milkmen, and Blacksmiths.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

It is of note (i think) that the Barnes & Noble closest to me also has an in-store Starbucks.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-10-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    In time it might not matter what Barnes and Noble thinks about guns in their stores. With the e-Book revolution, B & N, Borders, and countless others are in such financial doo-doo that it won't be long that they will be closing stores as fast as the news media can report.

Who buys books anymore? At least the kind where you have to build shelves to hold them. As Dori Monson said on his show yesterday, "I can come home, eat dinner, watch some TV, and then go to bed to read for a while on my "Kindle". I can browse dozens of books, read the first chapter for free, and within seconds download one to read. Don't have to go to the store and spend $25 for a book that I can download for under $10.".

Bookstores will join other icons of the past like Ice Men, Milkmen, and Blacksmiths.
    LOL! Soon enough Barnes and knoble will only sell coffee and Kindles/e-readers!
    "So there I was between a rock and a hard place, when it hit me... What am I doing on this side of the rock?"

Guys go and look at the downloads section on Northwest Citizens Defense League
    http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads

Misc letters:
    Employment Security Letter by Mark Knapp
    Ken Shram & Tom Brewster 10/7/10 KOMO radio
    Ken Shram & Dave Workman on Tom Brewster
    Pierce Co detainment
    KOIN TV Guns in Parks
    AGO - guns at school functions
    Point Defiance Zoo
    Kurt Kirby VPD Report
    Kurk Kirby 911 call (Vancouver WA)
    CPL by County as of Mar 4, 2010
    No Guns No Business Card
    City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Nov 2008 #1
    City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Dec 2008 #2
    City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Jan 2009 #3
    08/19/2008 MWAG Tukwila
    Law Enforcement Digest Nov 2008
    AGO Firearm Preemption Opinion
    Seattle Executive Order 07-08
    City and County Code Spreadsheet
    Blockbuster Video 911 call

Store policy bulletins
    Safeway Weapons Policy
    Weapons Carry at Stadium
    Chase Bank - no firearms
    Best Buy
    Fred Meyer / Kroger
    Walmart Contacts
    Washington Liquor Control Board
    Toys R US
    Barnes & Noble
    Lowes
    Home Depot

Court Rulings
    AGO Terry Stop for firearm opinion (William B Collins)
    Atty General and Preemption on city property
    Chan v Seattle (Reply in Support)
    Chan vs. Seattle
    St.John v Alamogordo ( 10th circuit )
    155 Wn.2d 506, State v. Brightman
    DC v. Heller
    Alameda vs Nordyke
    State v. James Lee Williams
    DURO v. REINA, 495 U.S. 676 (1990) .pdf
    OLIPHANT v. SUQUAMISH INDIAN TRIBE, 435 U.S. 191 (1978) .pdf

Training Bulletins
    2 page - Washington State Frequently Asked Questions About Gun Carry
    AGO -Carry on city property
    Police Chief Magazine - Gun Possession
    US Forest Service
    City of Tacoma and Tacoma Dome Jan 2009 #3
    Spokane City Training Bulletin
    Seattle Police training bulletin
    Olympia Training Directive
    King County OC training bulletin
    Federal Way OC training bulletin
    Kent OC training bulletin

Quote Originally Posted by DevinWKuska View Post
    LOL! Soon enough Barnes and knoble will only sell coffee and Kindles/e-readers!
    e-readers yes, Kindles no. They're an Amazon product.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    ...Who buys books anymore?...
    I do, and always will.

While I do read ebooks, there are times and places where the shear joy of holding a book, turning a page and smelling the glue of the binding is a wonder.

Of course, I still think firearms should be made of steel, raise a lot of my own meat, drink well water believe shoes should be made from leather. Yes, I am a Luddite...

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    I do, and always will.

While I do read ebooks, there are times and places where the shear joy of holding a book, turning a page and smelling the glue of the binding is a wonder.

Of course, I still think firearms should be made of steel, raise a lot of my own meat, drink well water believe shoes should be made from leather. Yes, I am a Luddite...
    What he said.

Good ol' books are just more durable. Drop a book from 10 feet and it does nothing to it, maybe scuff the cover. Drop your kindle from half that and you're looking for a new one. I tend to be pretty rough on my books, given what they end up looking like when I finish reading I don't think an e-book thingy would survive very long. And then there's the warm fuzzy you get when you've got a wall full of hundreds or thousands of books (or just boxes of em), anyone ready to pick up & read, no downloading, no powering on.

There's the battery issue too. Power frugal as they are, ebooks won't match the original when the zombie apocalypse starts and the power goes out. And in a pinch a nice heavy hardcover (think Stephen King or Robert Jordan) makes a handy zombie-thumper
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    There's the battery issue too. Power frugal as they are, ebooks won't match the original when the zombie apocalypse starts and the power goes out. And in a pinch a nice heavy hardcover (think Stephen King or Robert Jordan) makes a handy zombie-thumper

I've heard that if you rub two liberals together you can generate electricity. If you just p!$$ one off you can get sparks.

Awesome guys, thank you.

As for the ebooks thing, I myself have a Kindle and read all my books that way. Only reason I goto a book store is for my book club lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb3002 View Post
    Awesome guys, thank you.

As for the ebooks thing, I myself have a Kindle and read all my books that way. Only reason I goto a book store is for my book club lol.
    Public library here. I've already paid for all the books that they will "loan" me.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    On that note do we really need to keep paying for public libraries?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I'll stick with public libraries and real books.

Why?

Well, they were good enough for Benjamin Franklin they are good enough for me.

He formed both the first public lending library in America and the first fire department in Pennsylvania.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I'll stick with public libraries and real books.

Why?

Well, they were good enough for Benjamin Franklin they are good enough for me.
    Absolutely. They are a good investment and in some ways better than what we're dumping in our school system.

There are more than just a few people that want to learn more and will get off their butts, go to a library, and do the necessary reading and research to get that knowledge.

Lending libraries have provided for advancement of knowledge over the centuries to every class of citizen. Makes knowledge available even to those who can't afford to buy books or go to college. That is, for those that put forth the effort. That's one tax I don't mind paying and it's not all that much where I live.

Of course. Public libraries are a traditional and legitimate roll of government. As Gogo pointed out, even the founders (well one at least) thought so too. Public libraries are a minimal expense compared to the DoE, ATF, EPA, HUD, and all the other alphabet soup illegitimate rolls of gov't.

I think they are great myself too. But we have to weigh how much they are being used and the expense to upkeep them. I personally would love to see them continue on a contribution basis.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

I think they are great myself too. But we have to weigh how much they are being used and the expense to upkeep them. I personally would love to see them continue on a contribution basis.
    Again, if we weren't wasting billion$ on BS liberal social programs, there would be plenty available for public libraries without the need for extra contributions.

Yes, they dom

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Again, if we weren't wasting billion$ on BS liberal social programs, there would be plenty available for public libraries without the need for extra contributions.
    I agree, to some point, but I have spent the last few years broke as hell and look at all or anything I am forced to pay taxes in or loose things like my house to the government because I don't as just plain wrong. I'll throw, Firestations, Policing, libraries, schools into that mix. Find other ways of paying for them other than socializing them. I'd rather have a place to live where I could read books than be able to read books and have no place to live.

Personally I think our sales tax is fine and is more than enough to pay for basics, without having to have the communistic "property" taxes.

I also go and buy the book of authors I like, this pays them and encourages them to write more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast