• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

guito68

I don't mind open carrying. I do everywhere in ga where I am from due to LE not allowed to detain solely for verifying weather or not I have a permit. Which I do. Anywhere else I conceal cause I don't like to be hassled.

SpringerXDacp

DeSchaine

Caution: tyranny, harsh language in response. This happened to my friends, and in a place I wouldn't have expected trouble in; the ocsd complex in Pontiac. Two others came back a week or two later to check and see what would happen if they came unarmed and just filming, and got screwed with even worse.

This is not something I'd have expected from a generally honorable agency. (As honorable as possible given their job description vs the non aggression principle)

They made USA Today in a decidedly left slanted article about OC here in MI.

Waiting on my cpl to make OC simpler for me. Kinda sucks living so close to three schools.

Michigander

We got multiple requests for statements to reporters and with the exception of shawn talking to only one told them nothing, and we have no future intention to interact with any reporters outside of some reputable and excellent folks in flint.

Time and time again they show themselves to be arrogant and soulless ****** with no compassion or concern for their fellow human beings unless there is a story with good ratings in it for them.

The beauty of youtube and a blog site is that the news is irrelevant to getting ones message out. So, **** them.

FreeInAZ

^^^ yep - in my experience the media (particularly in Detroit) are nothing more than shills driving their own agenda and truth, facts be damned (with a couple of rare exceptions).

On topic OCed all about with no issues, here in the land of sun & guns. :cool:

taxman

Banned
ETA - for a Sheriff who says "policing isn't broken" these members of his staff are doing a damned fine job of proving him wrong! Sheriff Bouchard has in the past, proven that he does understand rights, and has gotten directly involved when officers under his command have abused open carriers. Let's hope he hasn't changed???

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...-sheriff-stop-knee-jerk-legislation/27175581/

He does have some decent ideas on accountability there, and some bad, I can't argue with what the ACLU rep said (especially in taking him to task on hiding body cam footage from his employers).

But, if he really wants to improve community relations, he doesn't need the legislature to do it for him.
In fact, I can think of three right off the bat that wouldn't cost him a penny.

1. Stop calling our deputies "troops".
2. Stop calling your employers "civilians".
3. Teach our deputies that Photography is not a Crime.

Scooter

Oc'd at Cabela's, Kroger and the Ice Cream shop, all in Dundee.Also at Target, Walmart, Meijer, Starbucks, McDonalds and Taco Bell in Dundee, Monroe and the Ann Arbor areas.

No problems as usual.

FreeInAZ

He does have some decent ideas on accountability there, and some bad, I can't argue with what the ACLU rep said (especially in taking him to task on hiding body cam footage from his employers).

But, if he really wants to improve community relations, he doesn't need the legislature to do it for him.
In fact, I can think of three right off the bat that wouldn't cost him a penny.

1. Stop calling our deputies "troops".
2. Stop calling your employers "civilians".
3. Teach our deputies that Photography is not a Crime.

Well said!

On topic - OCing now, no issues.

DeSchaine

Over the weekend I oc'd at a Speedway, Little Ceasers, Best Buy and a DQ. Not one dirty look, no panic, nothing. I plan to oc in meijer here in bit.

jeffrey-r

Had a weird thing happen at the corner deli / liquor store that I go to several times per week. As I'm checking out (sandwich, drinks, smokes: it's taking a little while to ring up and run my card), there's an older woman kind of milling around off to my left. The guy ringing me up asks her if she's looking for anything in particular. She kind of meekly says something like "Gentleman Jack, but I want to wait..." and trails off as I glance over. Counter guy gives her a look and says okay, then kind of rolls his eyes to me.

I get the feeling that she didn't want to approach the counter while I was standing there? I don't know, it was just kind of weird like she was nervous. None of the guys in there care though, I'm in there all the time and the one guy even has the same pistol that I do.

Otherwise no other incidences lately.

fozzy71

OC'd @ Butter Run Saloon today for a light lunch while washing some bedding at the nearby laundromat. No issues other than a customer thanking me for doing it and a nice conversation with a retired LEO and his wife.

Michigander

Ocing in much freer states currently. Only issue so far was a guy in south Dakota who was concerned and his wife was basically like it's open carry who cares?

MikeTheGreek

OC'd at the new Tom+Che in Northville by my house yesterday. A few strange looks as usual, no problems as usual.

Also...oh sweet mother of God, that was the best grilled cheese I have ever had in my life. Living a mile away from this place is going to be REALLY bad for my heart. :uhoh:

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

OC'd for the first time in a while last night. Took a walk around the neighborhood and went for a late night trip to Qdoba. Normally conceal a G19, but I was itching to carry my Sig P220. 0 issues.

Michigander

Hiking in glacier national park this week. A Belgian couple noticed my FAL (grizzly bear protection along with another guy carrying a Brenneke filled 12 gauge) and wanted to chat about it. That was pretty cool.

xd shooter

Oc'd as a bartender for a fundraiser for my local VFW, lots of discussion, lots of "I didn't know that was legal!". :)

Oc'd at the local subway, then at a Sweet Corn Charlie's.... That is the absolute best sweet corn in the world!!

Zero issues from anyone.

DeSchaine

OC'd all over today. Speedway at Kilgore Rd., Dollar store in Decatur, Arby's on Cork St., Meijer on Gull Rd. No cops. No sour looks (that I noticed) no people running and screaming in fear.

jeffrey-r

OCed in a 7-11 to pick up some drinks. Nice older Indian guy behind the counter says "Ah, a pistol?" I say yup. He asks, "How many?" I repeat the question back to him to make sure I heard him right, and I guess he's asking how many rounds? I tell him 18, and he just kind of says Oh, Okay.

Kind of an odd question, but maybe it was just idle chat and it's the first question he could think of. I usually get "what kind" or "what caliber" but this was a first time for "How many round does it hold."

FreeInAZ

OCed in a 7-11 to pick up some drinks. Nice older Indian guy behind the counter says "Ah, a pistol?" I say yup. He asks, "How many?" I repeat the question back to him to make sure I heard him right, and I guess he's asking how many rounds? I tell him 18, and he just kind of says Oh, Okay.

Kind of an odd question, but maybe it was just idle chat and it's the first question he could think of. I usually get "what kind" or "what caliber" but this was a first time for "How many round does it hold."

Maybe he's heard that most of us OC folks carry backup guns?

On topic OCed today at Circle K @ for lunch. Nobody cares, as it should be.

fozzy71

Maybe he's heard that most of us OC folks carry backup guns?

On topic OCed today at Circle K @ for lunch. Nobody cares, as it should be.

Lunch @ Circle K? Living the high life eh? Reminds me of when I was in my late teens and early 20's eating 99c burgers from AM/PM on lunch from warehouse work. :p

OT: I OC everywhere I go (though I get out less than most working from home) and almost never have any sort of interaction or questions anymore but I just remembered a couple recent events. At the end of last week in my weekly Kroger trip an older Veteran I had passed by in the produce section stopped me a bit later and asked if I ever got hassled by LEO, and a week or so ago on my morning bike ride on the side streets another older gentleman slowed down to shadow my strong side (I was riding on the wrong side to let him by) and when I looked over he gave me a huge thumbs up.