• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

DeSchaine

OC'd at Firestone on Westnedge today. Mechanic/clerk noticed it and said "Nice sidearm." I thanked him and paid for my brake replacements.

xd shooter

OMG! Please tell me you did not mix alcohol with your gun! :lol:

:) No Navy, I am very careful that it is clear that I'm not drinking when I perform this service at my VFW. it has sparked many a conversation about open carrying and gun laws in general in Michigan, however. I keep a copy of the MSP Update 86 on hand for any that want to argue the point....

OT, I have opened carried at numerous outside car shows in the area for the last couple months, including congratulating a local Chief of Police when they were the recient of a trophy. He glanced at my hip, smiled, and said Thanks! :)

Last edited:

DeSchaine

Stopped by Long John Silvers out by Crossroads for dinner tonight. Don't think much of their sweet tea, but didn't have a problem. Young lady behind the counter saw my sidearm plain as day, too. Just smiled and went on taking our order.

Ken56

Was back in MI. for vacation and family visit and OC'd off and on from Davison area to Tawas/Oscoda/Harrisville. Not one single comment anywhere. Had a good breakfast at Telly's on Miller rd. before we headed back home. Anyone in the Flint area who wants to do a gathering, breakfast, lunch or dinner, Telly's is OC friendly and has good food. Can't say I miss MI. I am more than happy with my move to TN.

DeSchaine

SO, just had an interesting run in with the local LEO's. Picking a friend up form a bad situation where the cops got called, obviously OC'ing, and none of the officers said a word to me about my sidearm, even though it was plain to see they all noticed it.

HPmatt

SO, just had an interesting run in with the local LEO's. Picking a friend up form a bad situation where the cops got called, obviously OC'ing, and none of the officers said a word to me about my sidearm, even though it was plain to see they all noticed it.

So it didn't jump out of its holster and scare anyone? No widows or small children screaming at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taxman

Banned

Safe to assume your friend was the caller and not the suspect?

DeSchaine

So it didn't jump out of its holster and scare anyone? No widows or small children screaming at it?

Nope, not a one.

Safe to assume your friend was the caller and not the suspect?

Yeah. Her (now ex) b/f thought he'd be billy badass and shove her into a wall. I carry all the time, but especially in that neighborhood.

Another semi shocker: carried into the Wendys on Gull Rd. None of the employees said anything.

gasgasmi

Jonesville LEO

Took a stroll down US12 in Jonesville last Sunday to watch the crazy traffic leaving MIS. Passed 2 local LEO that were running the stop lights manually to aid traffic. First one was in his car, walked by with strong side facing him. He waved as we passed by. Second exchanged greetings as we passed and then joked with us about timing the light for us to cross the street on the way back. I saw both of them glance at my sidearm but no negative reaction. Well done JPD.

B

Bikenut

Had my right knee replaced and then it got infected so now I'm finally released by the surgeon to get out and about so I OCd at ....

KFC and Menard's in Clio and Conlees in Montrose.

Felt good to get out of the house!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had my right knee replaced and then it got infected so now I'm finally released by the surgeon to get out and about so I OCd at ....

KFC and Menard's in Clio and Conlees in Montrose.

Felt good to get out of the house!
I believe a knee replacement qualifies you for the Ol' Pharts Club regardless of age.

Good on you for refusing the rocking chair. :)

B

Bikenut

I believe a knee replacement qualifies you for the Ol' Pharts Club regardless of age.

Good on you for refusing the rocking chair. :)
I'm proud to be an Olde Phart! Considering the alternative getting old is a good thing.:banana:

OC4me

Haven't posted in a while because OCing is rather uneventful as it should be. I had 2 persons today say something however. The first was when I was at a Mobil gas station. It turns out the counter clerk was carrying and he asked my about my carry belt. He wanted to know whether it was a special belt or something, which it wasn't. I'm glad that management allows its employees to carry. The second time, I was in Harbor Freight and a senior gentleman came up to me and said something to the effect that he was glad to see someone with the balls to carry in the open. I talked a bit and explained that I had never had a negative experience carrying at all. He said that he no longer owned any pistols, but would carry if he did. Both experiences were positive.

As a side note, my bank (Chase in Cedar Springs) was robbed at gun point a week or so ago. I've open carried there before but don't make it into the branch too much since most of my banking is done online nowadays.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

OCd yesterday at............

Birch Run's America's Best Value Inn to annoy my friend who works the front desk by telling him I was going to Taco Bell for lunch and he has to stay at work.

Then I did go to Taco Bell for lunch and made a new friend when I gave the cashier $5 for the next person's lunch and that person was a guy named Jim. Jim noticed my sidearm and we ended up eating lunch together and talking about his interest in long range shooting.

Then I stopped at Beacon & Bridge near Montrose for gas.

No one ran away screaming in fear, no police showed up, and nothing out of the ordinary happened.... exactly as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-- I did go to Taco Bell for lunch and made a new friend when I gave the cashier $5 for the next person's lunch and that person was a guy named Jim. Jim noticed my sidearm and we ended up eating lunch together and talking about his interest in long range shooting.
Good job paying it forward
icon14.png

Hope you invited him here to read and share......even if he doesn't OC.

We need a broad spectrum of people who understand and do not oppose exercising all of our rights.