• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB1016 Suppressors Bill Passes

jt59

This sucks because its still for the rich.

Ah, well then, I am truly very sorry.....I just didn't see the sarcasm button and I take it all back. :banghead:

I just often hear folks using "one off" rationalizations that are very similar and it just tweaks my nose...

Last edited:

jt59

Open Carry question

So, what choice of holster would you use for a full size 1911 Springfield 45, fitted with a suppressor when openly carried into Walmarts, or Wells Fargo...and also for effective self defense?

Belt

Paddle

Thigh

????

ApacheBunny

Kind of obvious the thigh lol, try sitting down with that thing on your belt holster its gonna dig in somewhere or jump out of a normal retention strap holster much to the dismay of the sheeple (if that applies anymore) patrons of walmart and wells fargo.

SeattleWingsfan

I've read a bit about making suppressors, not everything of course, but I've never read about having all the parts or being present for machining etc. Got a cite for that? If I build one I don't want to break any laws but this seems especially cumbersome, even for the ATF. Never heard that one before.

Bobby

Section 6.4 of the NFA

"The approval of the Form 1 application authorizes the applicant to make the firearm. The approval does not authorize the applicant to convey or ship the firearm to another person to manufacture the NFA firearm. If another person will manufacture the NFA firearm, the other person would be the maker and the application must be submitted by that person. Subsequent to the making, the firearm could then be transferred, subsequent to an approved Form 4 application, to the person who wanted the modification to be made.

If the applicant on the Form 1 lacks the skill, ability, and/or equipment to manufacture the NFA firearm, the applicant, after receipt of the approved Form 1, can have the firearm created or modified at a premises other than shown on the approved Form 1 as long as the creation or modification was done under the direct oversight of the applicant, thus having the applicant retain custody and control of the firearm. If the location is outside the applicant’s State and the firearm being made is a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, destructive device, or an unserviceable machinegun which is being reactivated, the applicant will also need to request permission to transport the firearm interstate as required by 27 CFR 478.28."

If you are there it can simply be stated that you are making it. If the parts are in posession of someone other than a licensed NFA shop or the person on the Form 1. They could be in alot of trouble. I say it to protect the people helping you not to keep you from going to jail. Although I am sure they would frown upon you conspiring to not do it correctly.

I have heard of people making the tube, engraving it and what not then sending it to a 07 for "repair" IE baffles. you might as well avoid possible legalities and buy or hire them to do it all then.

Last edited:

jt59

Kind of obvious the thigh lol, try sitting down with that thing on your belt holster its gonna dig in somewhere or jump out of a normal retention strap holster much to the dismay of the sheeple (if that applies anymore) patrons of walmart and wells fargo.

I agree, and also think it would be pretty useless in a urgently needed situation, but I just wanted to make sure that I followed the rules of posting and keeping this OT with OC. :eek:

SeattleWingsfan

IWB of course.... thinking of the Joker in batman pulling that long ass pistol out of his pants. :D

Dave_pro2a

This sucks because its still for the rich.

You can get this suppressor for just $50 + $200 stamp. Plus, it should last a lifetime!

35n9cuc.jpg

For the rich, please you're killing me. Shooting sports are an expensive hobby by nature. Want cheap, try golf. Oh wait.. that ain't cheap either. Ok try archery... damn, still not cheap. Ok scuba diving? Nope, not cheap. Decent RC plans and helicopters? No, still not cheap.

Puzzles, you're left with puzzles. and maybe darts if you use crappy darts.

;)

SeattleWingsfan

When you started to say "darts", I was jumping to I've spent more on three sets of darts than my XDM9...

I had a talk with a friend just the other day that anything that you want to do and do competitivly can cost major money.

Pool cues
Darts
Bowling
Race cars
Race guns

Just a few of the things I have spent countless dollars on over the years. lol Looking back I could have bought a house! O' well. :banana:

amlevin

You can get this suppressor for just $50 + $200 stamp. Plus, it should last a lifetime!

35n9cuc.jpg

For the rich, please you're killing me. Shooting sports are an expensive hobby by nature. Want cheap, try golf. Oh wait.. that ain't cheap either. Ok try archery... damn, still not cheap. Ok scuba diving? Nope, not cheap. Decent RC plans and helicopters? No, still not cheap.

Puzzles, you're left with puzzles. and maybe darts if you use crappy darts.

;)
Shooting is a far cheaper sport than "Hot Rods" or "Race Cars".

I don't spend as much money in a year on my shooting, including guns, ammo, and even range fees as some of my friends are spending in a week of following their "Motorsport" hobbies.

It's all a matter of choice. Heck, I haven't spent as much in total as a good, fast, car would cost today and I spend a lot.on my shooting.

tombrewster421

Section 6.4 of the NFA

"The approval of the Form 1 application authorizes the applicant to make the firearm. The approval does not authorize the applicant to convey or ship the firearm to another person to manufacture the NFA firearm. If another person will manufacture the NFA firearm, the other person would be the maker and the application must be submitted by that person. Subsequent to the making, the firearm could then be transferred, subsequent to an approved Form 4 application, to the person who wanted the modification to be made.

If the applicant on the Form 1 lacks the skill, ability, and/or equipment to manufacture the NFA firearm, the applicant, after receipt of the approved Form 1, can have the firearm created or modified at a premises other than shown on the approved Form 1 as long as the creation or modification was done under the direct oversight of the applicant, thus having the applicant retain custody and control of the firearm. If the location is outside the applicant’s State and the firearm being made is a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, destructive device, or an unserviceable machinegun which is being reactivated, the applicant will also need to request permission to transport the firearm interstate as required by 27 CFR 478.28."

If you are there it can simply be stated that you are making it. If the parts are in posession of someone other than a licensed NFA shop or the person on the Form 1. They could be in alot of trouble. I say it to protect the people helping you not to keep you from going to jail. Although I am sure they would frown upon you conspiring to not do it correctly.

I have heard of people making the tube, engraving it and what not then sending it to a 07 for "repair" IE baffles. you might as well avoid possible legalities and buy or hire them to do it all then.

I noticed that every time an item in question was mentioned in this cite that it read "NFA firearm". A suppressor is not a firearm. Is there more to this that decries what exactly a "NFA firearm" is?

Luke

According to the NFA a suppressor/silencer is a firearm.

§ 5845 Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter-
(a) Firearm. The term 'firearm' means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in
length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than
26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of
less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall
length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon,
as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18,
United States Code);
and (8) a destructive device. The term 'firearm' shall not include an antique firearm
or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon,
the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is
primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-appendix-a.pdf

jt59

I noticed that every time an item in question was mentioned in this cite that it read "NFA firearm". A suppressor is not a firearm. Is there more to this that decries what exactly a "NFA firearm" is?

Q: The types of firearms that must be registered in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record are defined in the NFA and 27 CFR, Part 479. What are some examples of NFA Firearms?

Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:

Machine guns;

The frames or receivers of machine guns;

Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machine guns;
Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machine gun;
Any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;
Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer;
Short-barreled rifles;
Short-barreled shotguns;
Destructive devices; and,
“Any other weapon.”

A few examples of destructive devices are:

Molotov cocktails;
Anti-tank guns (over caliber .50);
Bazookas; and,
Mortars.

A few examples of “any other weapon” are:

H&R Handyguns;
Ithaca Auto-Burglar guns;
Cane guns; and,
Gadget-type firearms and “pen” guns which fire a projectile by the action of an explosive.

amlevin

A few examples of “any other weapon” are:

H&R Handyguns;
Ithaca Auto-Burglar guns;
Cane guns; and,
Gadget-type firearms and “pen” guns which fire a projectile by the action of an explosive.

If I recall correctly this last "catchall" category also includes those cute holsters for small semi auto's that allow one to fire it while the weapon is still in the holster.

tombrewster421

Dang!

Well it looks like I've got to pay the Feds to stay legit if I want to make my own silencer. Oh well, still way cheaper than buying one (even if I make a really nice one).

ApacheBunny

Well it looks like I've got to pay the Feds to stay legit if I want to make my own silencer. Oh well, still way cheaper than buying one (even if I make a really nice one).

yeah also since you made it, you can also service it, well i dunno if even that is legal without purchasing another tax stamp. Also that fram filter suppressor looks like it would be done after a box of ammo.

amlevin

If one was to use a "Pop Bottle" for a suppressor would they have to pay the $200 and have a separate form for each bottle they used? Those things work but don't last long. Used to be able to buy the threaded adapter for them. One end threaded for the standard barrel threads and the other had the same threads as a bottle cap.

Wonder if that adapter is now considered the "suppressor"?

Bobarino

Section 6.4 of the NFA

Thank you for the info! I hadn't read that before. Incredibly ridiculous rules the ATF has, but better to play by the rules than go to jail. Thanks again.

jeeper1

Amlevin wrote.
Wonder if that adapter is now considered the "suppressor"?
I remember those. I got rid of mine as soon as I heard that you had to register them. Worked great for 1 to 3 shots before it blew off.