• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB1016 Suppressors Bill Passes

gsx1138

Spring assist knives have been and are still legal. The only change to the law is the exception regarding suppressors that are owned in accordance with Federal law.

A spring blade knife is a "switchblade" where the blade is opened solely by a spring. As long as you are an integral part of opening the blade by pressing on the tab, it is all good.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, you rock. I happen to like open assist knives. Probably the lazy side of me. :)

Agent 47

So,,,, just to be sure. In three months I can legally start using my silencers? its a done deal? no chance this is going to get spoiled by someone at the last minute? I have been waiting for this since I bought my first one six years ago and I was begining to think it would never happen.

Tawnos

So,,,, just to be sure. In three months I can legally start using my silencers? its a done deal? no chance this is going to get spoiled by someone at the last minute? I have been waiting for this since I bought my first one six years ago and I was begining to think it would never happen.

Not a done deal. Gregoire can veto. It's unlikely given the support for this, but possible

Dave_pro2a

Not a done deal. Gregoire can veto. It's unlikely given the support for this, but possible

So did it pass on the 29th?

And does that mean she has 5 business days (Tues April 5th), or just 5 days (Sunday April 3rd).

JoeSparky

Centurion
My understanding of Washington State law on suppressors was that it was LEGAL to own but a misdemeanor to instill one on a firearm BEFORE the effective date of this most recently passed legislation!

Agent 47

That is incorect, it had been defined as only illegal to fire through but perfectly fine to install on a firearm, as evidenced by my purchase of a MK3 with an integrated silencer/barrel. ie. non removable silencer

massivedesign

That is incorect, it had been defined as only illegal to fire through but perfectly fine to install on a firearm, as evidenced by my purchase of a MK3 with an integrated silencer/barrel. ie. non removable silencer

Correct. Discharge of a suppressed weapon in the state was/is a misdemeanor and a small fine, but the nice toy gets confiscated.

The passing of this law will only make shooting a weapon with a suppressor legal. The rest is already legal.

You have 4 options to obtain a suppressor and ALL 4 of them require the US Treasury $200 Tax Stamp (Issued by the BATFE). Individual, Trust, Corporation and Form 1. Form 1 is where you make your own suppressor and must obtain the stamp before any machine work has begun. The rest, as well as a Suppressor 101 can be found in an NFA topic HERE.

jt59

So did it pass on the 29th?

And does that mean she has 5 business days (Tues April 5th), or just 5 days (Sunday April 3rd).

Check out post #1...90 days after the end of the session.....however, if the session is extended for budget issue, that may affect the 90 day window.

Our Gov. does have a bit of a red pen, but we'll see if she signs it, ignores it (and it becomes law) or actually veto's (not likely IMHO).

Her is her hit list just for S&G's:

http://www.votesmart.org/official_veto.php?can_id=15489

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
The chances of her veto are slim to none...

Personally, I like the idea of being able to use a suppressor at a range, and in case of needing to dispatch a home invader in my own house without permanently destroying my own hearing in the process...

Won't carry with one, though. It's just too big....

Dave_pro2a

Personally, I like the idea of being able to use a suppressor at a range, and in case of needing to dispatch a home invader in my own house without permanently destroying my own hearing in the process...

Won't carry with one, though. It's just too big....

I am guessing they would also make some rifle caliber pistols a lot more fun to shoot. Those Dracos or PLR16s are just louder than heck.

jt59

HB 1016 to be signed by the Governor today!

This bill is scheduled to be signed by the Governor today at 2:00pm

Might just be worth the trip to get a picture!

Governor Gregoire Bill Signing Ceremony at 2:00 P.M.

Governor Gregoire takes action on the following legislation: HB 1016,

and others....EHB 1028, ESHB 1055, HB 1069, HB 1129, HB 1150, SHB 1247, SHB 1294, HB 1298, HB 1345, HB 1347, EHB 1357, HB 1412, HB 1424, HB 1488, SHB 1571, ESHB 1572, HB 1618, HB 1694