• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medical Marihuana & CPL?

NHCGRPR45

Guns mean more to me than pot.

If you dont believe in medipot, I cant convince you, but its real, and significant. Its not a drug for everything, but it is a miracle drug. The stuff is amazing.

I do want to re-legalise it for recreational use, but the medical side is the most important thing, and should be done first.

You see these commercials about various drugs all the time, and they always give this list of horrific potential side effects, like if you take the product for a stomach ache, your eyes will fall out, or your fart will kill the dog, then a couple years later, you see another commercial for a lawsuit against the pill for its ruination of so many lives. Yet the only thing you get with pot, is the munchies , relaxation and laughter.

The worst thing about pot are the laws against it.

Yea if weed does the above, I would rather just die. I mean I like my cat, if I let a sour fart in his direction and he withers up and dies I would be really up-set!

However to each his own, I say that if your sick, or in pain or any of the other reasons why people say they use it and are willing to accept the risks that go along with its use then fine. I firmly believe that someday it will be just as acceptable as beer on friday night, however that is not a reallity.

On a good note those medical weed guys clapped for us at the AB&E thing, so they can't be all bad huh?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Let us be kind and judge not without all the facts. There are some in this country that for various reasons can not hold a job. Reasons may include both physical and mental handicaps. I don't know all the details in this case, but I can't condemn all disability claims as false.

I know those that take advantage and those that truly need help. The problem is determining which is which.

As one of the most wealthiest countries in the world I don't begrudge helping those truly in need. Better to help them than pay for all the congressional perks, etc.

This is a pretty good summation of how I feel, too. Thanks for posting it.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
So you are for redistribution of wealth. Got it.

Back on topic. When a person applies for a CPL in Michigan, you have to agree to the Federal requirement of no illegal drug use. Since the Feds consider weed illegal...you are technically lying on your application when you check that box.

It appears that the MSP disagrees; I think I would go with what she said above.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Now there is a can of worms. A person who collects full disability because of a mental defect but has a CPL and carries daily. The anti's eat that stuff for breakfast.

Apples to oranges. The criteria is defined by the government. I'm Leary. Not all handicaps whether mental or physical should automatically prohibit someone from their natural right to self defense. Besides, in this case the person could and has gotten alone without a CPL. Let's not use who or who can't get a CPL to be a yard-stick for denying someones their natural rights. That's a slippery slope.

stainless1911

Banned
The CPL requires that you are not adjudicated incompetent or insane, and it requires that you are not a threat to yourself or anyone else. Having suffered a couple panic attacks falls short of that criteria. I haven't taken anything for a panic attack in over 3 years. However, there is more to the disability claim than a panic attack.

stainless1911

Banned
Apples to oranges. The criteria is defined by the government. I'm Leary. Not all handicaps whether mental or physical should automatically prohibit someone from their natural right to self defense. Besides, in this case the person could and has gotten alone without a CPL. Let's not use who or who can't get a CPL to be a yard-stick for denying someones their natural rights. That's a slippery slope.

Agreed. There is now a movement to officially classify addiction as a mental disease. (read, mental illness). By that standard, those who have a glass of thier favorite dring after work, or who can't quit smoking are mentally ill. A very slippery slope indeed

Venator

The CPL requires that you are not adjudicated incompetent or insane, and it requires that you are not a threat to yourself or anyone else. Having suffered a couple panic attacks falls short of that criteria. I haven't taken anything for a panic attack in over 3 years. However, there is more to the disability claim than a panic attack.

And sometimes it's best to remain silent. That's a hint.

PDinDetroit

Agreed. There is now a movement to officially classify addiction as a mental disease. (read, mental illness). By that standard, those who have a glass of thier favorite dring after work, or who can't quit smoking are mentally ill. A very slippery slope indeed

Pretty sure that someone who has "a glass" after work wouldn't be classified as addiction. You need a better example...

PDinDetroit

My view from a personal liberty point of view is to legalize all illicit drugs. Let the individual reap the reward or consequences of drug use. I propose that the government could help addicts and the associated medical costs at a greatly reduced cost than the "war" on drugs now.

It may seem counter institutive, but some research and some logic into the idea and most people would have to agree. Given the reasons for drug control (hint, not public safety, but economic) It makes sense to legalize it and then educate the masses on the pros and cons of drug use.

Always follow the money.....

I really have mixed feelings on this topic.

On one hand, my libertarian side says "Government, stay the heck out of it" - let people decide for themselves. The $$$ spent fighting "the problem" is wasted...

On the other hand...

There are those who are predisposed to addiction who will become addicts of their own accord. There are certain medications/drugs that carry an addiction risk that can affect those who are not predisposed to addiction. Making these readily available will increase the number of those addicted and people will try if it is legal. While I firmly believe people should be free to act of their own accord, I really do not want to see any more people addicted.

I personally have experienced the horrors of addiction first hand and see the results daily in those who are seeking help for their addiction. Addiction can affect just about any age group and persons from any social status (seen everything: teen heroin junkies, free-spirit pot-heads, toothless inner-city crackheads, "respectable" drunks in suits, and little old lady nurse pill poppers).

Education can help, but we have had drug education for many years now and I still see more young people coming "into the doors of recovery" in the past 5 years than at any other time. While people can recover and turn their life around, the likelihood is pretty low (only 1 in 35 "make it"). God willing, the 28th of this month I will have 22 years clean/sober. While I am certainly not alone in "making it", the number of those blessed like I have been are pretty low.

I do not have a good answer to legalizing drugs. I do agree that what we are doing now is not working...

T Mack

Welfare?

He does have a very valid point, stainless. You rail against the .gov as you put it on a daily basis. More so than only anyone else on this forum. You are anti .gov everyday except the first of the month when you happily collect your only source of income from them. Why is that?

How do u guys know stainless gets money at the beginning of the month???

T Mack

So do u?

I am getting tired of hearing this "medical marijuana" crap. I wish folks would just man up and tell it like it is..... if y'all wanna smoke weed and get buzzed go ahead and smoke it because I don't give a rat's ass what you do but I don't want to hear you bitch about having to suffer the consequences, legal, financial, or relationships, because you reap what you sow.

You makes your choices and you takes your lumps.

So do u feel the same way about drinkers?

T Mack

Pfizer.....

Guns mean more to me than pot.

If you dont believe in medipot, I cant convince you, but its real, and significant. Its not a drug for everything, but it is a miracle drug. The stuff is amazing.

I do want to re-legalise it for recreational use, but the medical side is the most important thing, and should be done first.

You see these commercials about various drugs all the time, and they always give this list of horrific potential side effects, like if you take the product for a stomach ache, your eyes will fall out, or your fart will kill the dog, then a couple years later, you see another commercial for a lawsuit against the pill for its ruination of so many lives. Yet the only thing you get with pot, is the munchies , relaxation and laughter.

The worst thing about pot are the laws against it.

Prizer company is one of the biggest drug dealers in the world..... Legalize pot tax it....

T Mack

Amen!

My view from a personal liberty point of view is to legalize all illicit drugs. Let the individual reap the reward or consequences of drug use. I propose that the government could help addicts and the associated medical costs at a greatly reduced cost than the "war" on drugs now.

It may seem counter institutive, but some research and some logic into the idea and most people would have to agree. Given the reasons for drug control (hint, not public safety, but economic) It makes sense to legalize it and then educate the masses on the pros and cons of drug use.

The war on drugs has been a complete failure and a waste of yours and my tax dollars. But of course it's job security for the LEO's and judicial system. Half the prison population would be out. Drug users need rehab not prison.. IJS

Venator

The war on drugs has been a complete failure and a waste of yours and my tax dollars. But of course it's job security for the LEO's and judicial system. Half the prison population would be out. Drug users need rehab not prison.. IJS
Hence my follow the money comment. An entire industry has been made out this "war". Millions and millions.....

T Mack

Amen to that!

^ I'm good with that. In the same bill legalizing drugs, let's follow Florida's lead and require all those on welfare and unemployment to submit to drug testing. I don't like paying for deadbeats to sit home and get high all day.

I agree

T Mack

Job security!

Yea if weed does the above, I would rather just die. I mean I like my cat, if I let a sour fart in his direction and he withers up and dies I would be really up-set!

However to each his own, I say that if your sick, or in pain or any of the other reasons why people say they use it and are willing to accept the risks that go along with its use then fine. I firmly believe that someday it will be just as acceptable as beer on friday night, however that is not a reallity.

On a good note those medical weed guys clapped for us at the AB&E thing, so they can't be all bad huh?

Hence my follow the money comment. An entire industry has been made out this "war". Millions and millions.....

The guys making a living on this failed program would lose their jobs so
they are going to be pro war on drugs. Understandable..

Last edited: