• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medical Marihuana & CPL?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I know where the are a few MA Meetings and know some people who go to these. These people were not court ordered. We will just have to "agree to disagree" on that.

The psychological addiction can be rather significant for some long-time users, and they may find help in MA type meetings.

Maybe a cultural thing. Never seen it anywhere I've spent serious time. And I'm not afraid to make friends with people who use marijuana, so I've known many. Anything purely psychological is grossly affected by social norms, expectations, pressure etc.

I read recently that you moved from CA to VA for education (IIRC). I hope you are enjoying the expanded freedoms there in terms of carry.

I am indeed, thanks for asking. I grew up here, so I'd been spending time for as long as I've been carrying, and I definitely got fed up with carry-related (and many other) aspects of CA politics. Virginia suits me much better. I like to open carry -- it's more civilized, I think.

Also, Tech is the best school I've been to so far. If my grades stay like they are, I'd like to do postgrad at UVA. Virginia has the best public education system in the world, from my experience. Actually something government hasn't screwed up (can't say that in California, that's for sure).

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Thank you Dr. Stainless.

If it were truly as easy as you make it out to be, then there would be no need for treatment centers or 12 step programs like Marijuana Anonymous. There are 400+ chemical substances including 60+ cannabinoids/cannabinols that may or may not have "high inducing" properties. Since even studying these here in the US is illegal, no one knows the complete effects of each and every one of them. No one can say for certain that it is just psychologically addictive without the proper studies, so it is an "uneducated guess" at this point in time.

Not an uneducated guess, but real experience. I was addicted to cigarettes, took a long time, many methods and many attempts to quit. I dont miss smoking, though I was a 2 1/2 pack + smoker. As far as weed goes, I loved it passionately, as I do with guns, I was high more than I was sober, I'd sell what I had and do what I had to do (within personal limits) to get stoned. I wasnt the same person sober, in fact, I was a real @$$. When I had enough, I just walked away. I was smoking an ounce a week at the time, and I wouldnt smoke anything that wasnt good pot. I do miss it though, but I have priorities. I love the smell, and I love it when my friends smoke it, I always stick my nose in the bag, and appreciate the smoke, but I dont smoke it myself. All of this shows clearly that marijuana is a psychological addiction, and that I also have first hand experience with real addiction. I can therefore make an experienced comparison between the two types of addiction and differentiate between the two.

PDinDetroit

Not an uneducated guess, but real experience. I was addicted to cigarettes, took a long time, many methods and many attempts to quit. I dont miss smoking, though I was a 2 1/2 pack + smoker. As far as weed goes, I loved it passionately, as I do with guns, I was high more than I was sober, I'd sell what I had and do what I had to do (within personal limits) to get stoned. I wasnt the same person sober, in fact, I was a real @$$. When I had enough, I just walked away. I was smoking an ounce a week at the time, and I wouldnt smoke anything that wasnt good pot. I do miss it though, but I have priorities. I love the smell, and I love it when my friends smoke it, I always stick my nose in the bag, and appreciate the smoke, but I dont smoke it myself. All of this shows clearly that marijuana is a psychological addiction, and that I also have first hand experience with real addiction. I can therefore make an experienced comparison between the two types of addiction and differentiate between the two.

Maybe it is different between persons and the types involved. I had normally 3-7 different types at any one given time, grew my own hydroponically (which was better than most), and smoked between a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce per day. I was not able to stop on my own, had cravings, and had withdrawal symptoms (although now I am completely free from all of it). I do not miss it one little bit.

I was able to just give up Cocaine without withdrawal effects nor cravings, despite OD'ing 2 times and using it regularly (well after the OD Incidents). Cocaine is only psychologically addictive just like marijuana, yet many people who become addicted to it to the point they sell everything they own to obtain it!

A common myth is that cocaine is not addictive because it lacks the physical withdrawal symptoms seen in alcohol or heroin addiction. Cocaine has powerful psychological addictive properties. As more than one user has reflected, "If it is not addictive, then why can't I stop?"

Trying to state that because some drug is only Psychologically Addictive somehow makes it better is pretty funny and reminds me of the phrase "somewhat pregnant". It is either addictive or it isn't!

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

So, by your reasoning, a Psychological Addiction is more difficult to deal with than a Physiological Addiction. Yet, post after post you have made in this thread that Marijuana is not as bad since it is a Psychological Addiction instead of a Physiological Addiction.

Which is it?

CV67 PAT

So, by your reasoning, a Psychological Addiction is more difficult to deal with than a Physiological Addiction. Yet, post after post you have made in this thread that Marijuana is not as bad since it is a Psychological Addiction instead of a Physiological Addiction.

Which is it?

It's whatever he wants it to be at the moment. Just like every other one of his posts. He's all over the place in his rationale of anything. He can't keep up with his own opinions. How in the world do you think you can?

stainless1911

Banned
It's whatever he wants it to be at the moment. Just like every other one of his posts. He's all over the place in his rationale of anything. He can't keep up with his own opinions. How in the world do you think you can?

Like I said, psychological addictions are harder to break because of the strength of the mind, but by the same token, when you make up your mind, the addiction is broken.