• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellow Cat Course - Utah CFP + Optional NRA Basic Pistol Course - Monday, September 5

jpm84092

What to bring to the Utah CFP Class

I will be there for the Utah class and I am bringing a friend. Let me know if you need and details from me. Thanks for offering the class!

1) Go to the Utah BCI website, download the application and fill it out before class.
Link: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/MTC20115162011.pdf

2) Go to the Utah BCI website, download the required course manual and either print it out or show me that you have an electronic copy

3) Bring a folding chair. I recommend you bring water if it is going to be hot.

4) My course fee. My course fees are more than reasonable given that some instructors charge $125 - $160 for the UT Concealed Firearm Permit course.

Speaking of my fees, I have had numerous PM messages from all over the country. Some are supportive of what I am doing and others tell me that I am "wasting my talents" teaching the UT course for as little as $10 for a wounded or disabled veteran given what other instructors get for that very instruction. My response to those in the "wasting my talents" camp is that today's economy is tough. And, I was going to be visiting my mother in a nursing home anyway so why not teach a course and teach it at a price that will get those who otherwise would have to decide whether to get competent training or feed their family a chance to get that training at a price they can afford.

Finally, I have a request. MKEGAL is serving as my assistant instructor for the NRA course and will also be attending the UT BCI CFP course. (I and another NRA instructor are working on her to get her Utah BCI Instructor permit.) She is doing this just to get experience under a more experienced instructor. She is not being paid. My request is that if you have an extra buck or two, a tip for MKEGAL would be nice. And those who know her, please join the chorus of folks urging her to get that Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Instructor Permit.

Yellow Cat Out - -

Packfanatic

MkeGal

1) Go to the Utah BCI website, download the application and fill it out before class.

2) Go to the Utah BCI website, download the required course manual and either print it out or show me that you have an electronic copy

3) Bring a folding chair. I recommend you bring water if it is going to be hot.

4) My course fee. My course fees are more than reasonable given that some instructors charge $125 - $160 for the UT Concealed Firearm Permit course.

Speaking of my fees, I have had numerous PM messages from all over the country. Some are supportive of what I am doing and others tell me that I am "wasting my talents" teaching the UT course for as little as $10 for a wounded or disabled veteran given what other instructors get for that very instruction. My response to those in the "wasting my talents" camp is that today's economy is tough. And, I was going to be visiting my mother in a nursing home anyway so why not teach a course and teach it at a price that will get those who otherwise would have to decide whether to get competent training or feed their family a chance to get that training at a price they can afford.

Finally, I have a request. MKEGAL is serving as my assistant instructor for the NRA course and will also be attending the UT BCI CFP course. (I and another NRA instructor are working on her to get her Utah BCI Instructor permit.) She is doing this just to get experience under a more experienced instructor. She is not being paid. My request is that if you have an extra buck or two, a tip for MKEGAL would be nice. And those who know her, please join the chorus of folks urging her to get that Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Instructor Permit.

Yellow Cat Out - -
We here absolutley appreciate what you are doing. MKEGAL shall get a tip and i am not talking about the 4th horse in the 5th race :) this is outstanding.!
Thank you from our hearts for sure!!

MKEgal

There used to be a blushing smiley...
I appreciate the thought, & much as I hate it I am in no position to turn down gifts.
Maybe I'll just leave the window of my car rolled down a bit if people want to be anonymous.

After the mortgage, perhaps it could be used toward getting my own UT instructor cert.
I've promised Jim I'd follow his model of offering UT classes at UT prices.
(Though I think he goes below what's average even out there.)

jpm84092

There used to be a blushing smiley...
I appreciate the thought, & much as I hate it I am in no position to turn down gifts.
Maybe I'll just leave the window of my car rolled down a bit if people want to be anonymous.

After the mortgage, perhaps it could be used toward getting my own UT instructor cert.
I've promised Jim I'd follow his model of offering UT classes at UT prices.
(Though I think he goes below what's average even out there.)

Average for Utah (Salt Lake area) is $40 - $60 per person. (The $40 price is for 10 or more students.)

BROKENSPROKET

Where exactly is the range?

What does the timeline for the day look like?

10am-2pm Classroom
2-3:30 pm Lunch and Travel to Range
3:30-8:00pm Live fire at the range

Outdoorsman1

Where exactly is the range?What does the timeline for the day look like?

10am-2pm Classroom
2-3:30 pm Lunch and Travel to Range
3:30-8:00pm Live fire at the range

The range is located between Silver Lake WI and Paddock Lake WI. I think on county highway F (will confirm and post later).

I am talking about maybe a 1/2 mile East of Silver Lakw as well as about 1/2 West of Paddock Lake. It is real close to the intersection of state highways 50 and 75.

Also, as Jim has mentioned, I have no control over the club rule of any non-members using the range must pay a $10.00 range fee.

Both Jim and MKEgal. have been there before and will be able to lead the way from the class location. I will bee there when the class arrives....

I am also a little curious as to the timeline so I know when to get there. As it is a range and I will have ammo I have no problem getting there early as I am sure I could find something to do until the group arrives.....:D

Outdoorsman1

oak1971

The range is located between Silver Lake WI and Paddock Lake WI. I think on county highway F (will confirm and post later).

I am talking about maybe a 1/2 mile East of Silver Lakw as well as about 1/2 West of Paddock Lake. It is real close to the intersection of state highways 50 and 75.

Also, as Jim has mentioned, I have no control over the club rule of any non-members using the range must pay a $10.00 range fee.

Both Jim and MKEgal. have been there before and will be able to lead the way from the class location. I will bee there when the class arrives....

I am also a little curious as to the timeline so I know when to get there. As it is a range and I will have ammo I have no problem getting there early as I am sure I could find something to do until the group arrives.....:D

Outdoorsman1

What is the name of the range? If its bristol I am a member.

Outdoorsman1

What is the name of the range? If its bristol I am a member.

No it is not Bristol... It is Silver Lake Sportsmans Club....

Bristol is just a few miles from my club... If your club does not charge a range fee for non members and you can use it, maybe that would save users the $10.00 range fee at my club...????

Just a thought....

Outdoorsman1

oak1971

No it is not Bristol... It is Silver Lake Sportsmans Club....

Bristol is just a few miles from my club... If your club does not charge a range fee for non members and you can use it, maybe that would save users the $10.00 range fee at my club...????

Just a thought....

Outdoorsman1

They charge more than yours. :(

jpm84092

No Joke

I hope you're joking. Double taps get people killed. And not the right one. It's a bad habit to develop, tactically.

Mr. Shotgun,

I am an NRA Instructor. NRA Personal Protection courses require that I teach "double tap". I do not teach shoot to kill. I teach to shoot to stop any deadly threat to self or others.

For those who have not been properly trained, I agree, double tap is not a good thing. That second round is likely to end up somewhere other than intended. That is why I work with my students prior to offering the NRA Personal Protection Course(s). I want to be sure they will put two on center of mass of the intended target - and somewhere else.

I do not want to start an argument, but when I teach an NRA Course, I stick to the required course content.

oak1971

Double tap with 9mm is easy. 45acp is another story. I will buy beer for the guy who can pull it off with 44 mag.

jpm84092

Double tap with 9mm is easy. 45acp is another story. I will buy beer for the guy who can pull it off with 44 mag.

I thought somebody might "call me out" on the double tap, so last weekend, I spent some serious range time using my Glock 21 (.45 ACP). I managed to get all rounds on a B-127 LEA Qualification target. I did not bring a .44 Mag with me, but if you have one, I will give it a try; although I may take a full second between shots.

YELLOW CAT OUT

oak1971

I am workin on it with a .40 Cal.

Outdoorsman1

That's got some zip in it. If you want you can try 9mm with my Sig 226 Elite Stainless. Its weight helps keep the muzzle from climbing on you. I have a G17 as well. Get warmed up on that and then try .40.

oak1971

I thought somebody might "call me out" on the double tap, so last weekend, I spent some serious range time using my Glock 21 (.45 ACP). I managed to get all rounds on a B-127 LEA Qualification target. I did not bring a .44 Mag with me, but if you have one, I will give it a try; although I may take a full second between shots.

YELLOW CAT OUT

:lol: I have a few 44's in fact. Wanna try it with a Snubbie 629? Seriously though, double taps properly executed should ruin a bad guys day. A lot of fun too, if you don't mind your wallet getting emptied in short order.

Outdoorsman1

That's got some zip in it. If you want you can try 9mm with my Sig 226 Elite Stainless. Its weight helps keep the muzzle from climbing on you. I have a G17 as well. Get warmed up on that and then try .40.

Thanks for the offer, but I have already started workin with the .40 I think I will stick to that as any change might effect the progress I am making with the .40, besides... If she knew I was using someone else's (another) firearm... she would be real jealous and maybe not let me hold her for a while....I had a hard enough time introducing her to my new C.C. gun... Glock 27 Gen. 4 also in .40 Cal. The only reason she is ok with me shooting the glock is as she is full size w/ 4" barrel the Glock is a sub-compact so she has no problem being the larger of the two. Also seeing's how they are both .40 Cal. they get along just fine.

Outdoorsman1

MKEgal

BROKENSPROKET said:
Where exactly is the range?
27000 85th St.; Salem, WI; 53168 [from the second link]
Plugged that into Google maps & it looks right.

http://silverlakesportsmen.com/
http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/2495

What does the timeline for the day look like?
Wait for Jim to be sure, but if everyone brings a lunch (eat while listening), then we might be to the range by 3:30.
(Just read through the thread again, & there are people wanting the NRA class, though I can't see the registration page to know how many, so I don't know what that does to the schedule.)

Shotgun said:
I hope you're joking. Double taps get people killed. And not the right one. It's a bad habit to develop, tactically.
I thought you were a PPIH/PPOH instructor? Don't those use double taps?

Outdoorsman1 said:
Both Jim and MKEgal have been there before and will be able to lead the way from the class location.
I was following, but I think I put a waypoint in my GPS.
Will try to remember to check tomorrow.
Could you please PM Jim & I with your cell phone in case we get lost,
& it'd probably be good for everyone who has one to bring a GPS.

PS: in addition to a chair for the hanger, & all your gun stuff, bring bug spray for @ the range!!

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET