• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yellow Cat Course - Utah CFP + Optional NRA Basic Pistol Course - Monday, September 5

Big Dipper

as HH said. The 9mm is just as capable as a .45 to eliminate threats. Shot placement is everything.

Threats? I quess I didn't know that the golf ball was a "threat" in the "Golfing with Glocks" game that jpm84092 was going to teach.

I was commenting on jpm84092 saying -
jpm84092 said:
...the .45 ACP round plays havoc on a golf ball. And, thus, golfers who prefer to play with a Model 1911 must bring extra balls to replace the ones that get too banged up to continue in the game.
and apparently, per jpm84092, the 9mm doesn't.

I think that to play his game, shot placement must be right-on for both calibers. :D

jpm84092

Walther P-38 WWII Pistol

Ask all the dead American soldiers in WW2 who were shot with a 9mm. Oh nuts, you can't because some Nazi with a sissy round killed them.

Funny you should mention that. I just picked up a Walther P-38 (9 mm) that has the P-1 designation indicating that it was issued to the German Military. I have not fired it yet, but I have broken it down and cleaned it. All the parts are there and they all work fine in dry fire mode. (I am always amazed at the many how-to videos on You Tube.)

The Walther P-38 was less prone to malfunction and was cheaper to produce than the Luger 9mm so it soon replaced the Luger in WWII as the pistol issued to German Officers.

I also found a WWII German Officer's Holster on eBay, but it is a high quality reproduction (or it was never issued).

And, by the way, "Golfing With Glocks" is not a "game". It is a shooting course that attempts to give students experience in point shooting and integrates muscle memory concepts into target visualizaton concepts. The course is the brain child of John of DOA Tactical. I give my highest possible recommendation to John and Brent at DOA Tactical. They willl be visiting WI (John was born and raised in Wausau) near the end of September or early in October to provide UT Permit courses, NRA Courses, and John could be talked into teaching "Golfing With Glocks" to our friends "up north". (Practical Example: During the period from 1940 through 1989 or thereabouts, FBI Agents carried Smith & Wesson .38 snub nose revolvers. They were taught a draw technique that never involved actually using the sights of the revolver, but rather muscle memory and target visualization of line of fire.) So, the concept is not new, but adding some fun by "golfing" is a new method of teaching an older shooting technique.

oak1971

Funny you should mention that. I just picked up a Walther P-38 (9 mm) that has the P-1 designation indicating that it was issued to the German Military. I have not fired it yet, but I have broken it down and cleaned it. All the parts are there and they all work fine in dry fire mode. (I am always amazed at the many how-to videos on You Tube.)

The Walther P-38 was less prone to malfunction and was cheaper to produce than the Luger 9mm so it soon replaced the Luger in WWII as the pistol issued to German Officers.

I also found a WWII German Officer's Holster on eBay, but it is a high quality reproduction (or it was never issued).

And, by the way, "Golfing With Glocks" is not a "game". It is a shooting course that attempts to give students experience in point shooting and integrates muscle memory concepts into target visualizaton concepts. The course is the brain child of John of DOA Tactical. I give my highest possible recommendation to John and Brent at DOA Tactical. They willl be visiting WI (John was born and raised in Wausau) near the end of September or early in October to provide UT Permit courses, NRA Courses, and John could be talked into teaching "Golfing With Glocks" to our friends "up north". (Practical Example: During the period from 1940 through 1989 or thereabouts, FBI Agents carried Smith & Wesson .38 snub nose revolvers. They were taught a draw technique that never involved actually using the sights of the revolver, but rather muscle memory and target visualization of line of fire.) So, the concept is not new, but adding some fun by "golfing" is a new method of teaching an older shooting technique.

I had a P38 with the Nazi stampings made in the Mauser factory in 1943. It still fired but the takedown lever would disengage spontaneously as it was pretty worn out. I would like to get a post war to use as range toy.

oak1971

Threats? I quess I didn't know that the golf ball was a "threat" in the "Golfing with Glocks" game that jpm84092 was going to teach.

I was commenting on jpm84092 saying -
and apparently, per jpm84092, the 9mm doesn't.

I think that to play his game, shot placement must be right-on for both calibers. :D

Well bring it then, I'm your Huckleberry with either caliber. Golf balls at 30 paces. :lol:

jpm84092

I had a P38 with the Nazi stampings made in the Mauser factory in 1943. It still fired but the takedown lever would disengage spontaneously as it was pretty worn out. I would like to get a post war to use as range toy.

This one is pretty tight so it either was not abused or not used much. The not used much part will change shortly.

And, when I got it, it had been well "pickled" as it was dripping in oil. There is no slop in the slide mechanism and the take down lever is very tight. I have not yet determined if it is a WWII handgun or one produced for use by the German Military during the cold war. If it is a WWII pistol, it was seldom used or abused. If post-war, then it likely only saw target practice. The P-38 was produced for the Cold War (West) German Military from 1947 - 1963.

1245A Defender

well,,,

I also have a p-38/p-1.

Ive always thought that gun was really cool and good looking!
If it is marked p-1, it has an alloy frame, it was made in 1963 or later, just like mine, cost 300$ last year.
read wikipedia about the p-38 to get some lowdown info.
the design was copied a lot in the creation of the berretta 92.

oak1971

This one is pretty tight so it either was not abused or not used much. The not used much part will change shortly.

And, when I got it, it had been well "pickled" as it was dripping in oil. There is no slop in the slide mechanism and the take down lever is very tight. I have not yet determined if it is a WWII handgun or one produced for use by the German Military during the cold war. If it is a WWII pistol, it was seldom used or abused. If post-war, then it likely only saw target practice. The P-38 was produced for the Cold War (West) German Military from 1947 - 1963.

There are a few design elements still in use on some contemporary firearms.

Mlutz

My p38 was a Christmas present. :p I don't have any complaints about it. YouTube videos were really helpful when I took it apart for the first time.

M

McX

OK -I can teach a golfing course with .45 ACP, but only if done from a Glock 21, a Springfield Model 1911 or Springfield XD-45, or Colt Model 1911. Any other Model 1911 pistols must be inspected by the Yellow Cat to insure that they are genuine Model 1911 pistols.

i would tend to use the 7.62 by 25 Disruptor. i want to hit the golf ball, and the gopher tunneling 6 feet down below it.

jpm84092

McX finally weighs in

Hi McX,

Nice to see you finally weighing in. I have one thing to share with you (and my other students). This last class was different than any other I have taught. It was less than 1/2 WI Carry members despite my not so subtle hints that joining WI Carry, even on the day of the class, would reduce the course fee substantially. I had about 10 students, including 5 females, that came from the Milwaukee area. They had heard about the class from a friend who heard about it from a friend, etc. They must have seen this post because all of them had downloaded the course materials from the BCI website and most printed it out. Some brought it on flash drives. And they all had downloaded and filled out their applications. Some asked me how I could afford to put on a course so cheaply and all seemed to know about the myriad of UT CFP courses for $125 - $160 in their area.

Does your comment mean that you want to take my "golfing with Glocks" course?

The next time I return, if there is interest, I could teach the NRA Rifle Course and bring my (civilian legal) M-4 for those who want to try out a "black rifle" to qualify on. I am pretty picky about what goes down the pipe of that rifle, so students would have to purchase name brand virgin ammo from me (or bring it themselves - no reloads or Russian junk). Perhaps rifle rental + 2 30-round magazines of ammo for $40? Does that sound fair?

And, the cook-out with the local veteran pilots was a big hit. We feasted on hot dogs, hamburgers, cheeseburgers, potato salad, potato chips, salads, and some really yummy desert treats. (The leftovers were donated to the "lunch bunch". a group of retired pilots who meet at a hanger down the road.)

Carry on...

Yellow Cat out.

Outdoorsman1

Ok, I have a question about this "Golfing With Glocks" thing...

Being a "course" for "new" students who might not be as dead on shots to even hit a golf ball, what about the shots that miss? Is there any concern about a stray bullet after it misses the golf ball or ricocheting bullets if they happen to "bounce off" something in the ground close to the golfball..??

I have read that is is not a good idea to fire a warning shot into the ground per above concerns.

I would guess that the golf balls are placeed in such a way that any missed shots would go "down range"..???

Just curious...

Outdoorsman1

M

McX

He did mention that there can't be any rocks on the playing field...

i split rocks, hence the concept of Disrupting.
i hope at the meets, for the new and non, someone from 'the organization' whipped out some business cards, and sent them to Wiscarry. I suspect we will be readily able to discerne those who have carried vs those who have not- ie; coming newbie problem. sounds like a great event, great food, and knowledge gained by all. evil black rifle in .223, it will never catch on, speaketh .308 or better to make me look.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

fall here means i get to cc legally, going nowhere, but here none the less. no permit required, at the moment. but i stress with all the priveledge- i get to go nowhere................until Nov.............

I've been there. You ain't missing much.