• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Of 2011

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Most definitely see this as an infringement on Sates Rights!

The federal government would be telling the states what to accept or not within their borders.

Isn't that what the 2nd Amendment is? Being the supreme law of the land we have the RIGHT to BEAR arms and that is a law that over powers the states gun laws. (unfortunately it isn't enforced)

Gunslinger

Sincerely do NOT like this bill and do not think it will get approval in the Senate.

This is the proverbial camel's nose beneath the tent where the federal government is concerned in the RKBA. If it became law, rest assured it will be modified by congress at a later date, changed by the alphabet agencies et al and we will end up the losers.

See this as infringement on States Rights and not a genuine act to help us. We do not have federal driving licenses issued to each and every legal driver - why forced recognition with onerous exceptions?

For my money, stay with reciprocity and the court systems to straighten out the inequities.

Couldn't disagree more. Expansion of rights, albeit the privileged portion thereof, is a giant step forward and in keeping with the P&I clause of the Constitution. We don't need federal drivers' licenses or Federal CCWs. We need recognition of a state's granting a privilege which should be honored by sister states. Maybe something will happen down the road as you suggest. Facts not in evidence, and I'll take a win today and not worry about what next decade brings.

Maine CWP Training

Hearing Scheduled for H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Friday, September 09, 2011

For months we have been reporting on a critically important bill: H.R. 822—the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011. This vital NRA-backed legislation, introduced earlier this year by Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) will enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

Thanks to much hard work and action taken by NRA and our members, H.R. 822 has now garnered 242 cosponsors in the U.S. House. On Tuesday, September 13, the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security will hold a hearing on the bill.

READ MORE

Maine CWP Training

House Weighs Bill to Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

Lawmakers are considering a House bill that would give Americans who hold permits to carry firearms in their home states the right to carry their weapons across state lines.

SOURCE

Jared

That will give the feds a list for future disarmament.

This statement is laughable. Name me one place on the planet where it was easy to carry gun legally and then the government suddenly turned around and knew who to go after?

Your statement is utter nonsense.

Australia, the U.K. (except Northern Ireland), Jamaica, and other places that disarmed most people already had strict licensing to possess laws, strict storage laws, strict purchasing laws etc.

I can find no evidence ANYWHERE that some place went from the gun laws of New Hampshire to North Korea overnight.

Last edited:

OC4me

National Reciprocity does not violate the 10th Amendment, at least not since the 14th Amendment was passed which gave Congress the authority to enforce the Bill of Rights. Having said that, I would just love a serious 10th Amendment argument to be made (by the liberal progressives). Here is what I hope happens:

1) National Reciprocity passes (over Obama's veto)!

2) The elite statist anti-freedom anti-gunners are in a pickle. They are forced to challenge National Reciprocity in court and make a - you guessed it - 10th Amendment State's Rights legal argument (oh my the wonderful irony).

3) The panty-wetting anti-gunners succeed, National Reciprocity is declared unconstitutional as it violates the 10th Amendment and the 10th Amendment, long dormant and ignored, now has established legal precedent.

4) Meanwhile, over the several years that National Reciprocity is in place, the fears of the anti-gun bigots are proved wrong (once again) and there is ample evidence that concealed carry in New Jersey, New York City, Chicago, etc. does not present a problem. Citizens of these states demand their Second Amendment Rights and all is well in the end!

Just my .02 cents!

Maine CWP Training

House Crime Subcommittee Holds Hearing on National Right-to-Carry Bill

Friday, September 16, 2011

On Tuesday, Sept. 13, the U.S. House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security held a hearing on H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011.

The bill, introduced earlier this year by Congressmen Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) and cosponsored by more than 240 of their colleagues, would enable millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states.

Subcommittee Chairman Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) opened the hearing by saying the legislation is needed because state laws on right to carry reciprocity are "confusing, vary widely and can subject otherwise law-abiding citizens to frivolous prosecution." He also argued that permit holders' fundamental Second Amendment rights were at stake, noting that "this legislation recognizes that the right to bear arms does not stop at the state line."

READ MORE

Wc

signed. you should post this in the hot topics section and get it stickied!

Howdy,

I know, other member already did just below from your topic. I posted here for a reminder and it didn't started til 9/22 news for this old topic.:cool:

OK:question:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Formal Petition Requirements

I cannot get very exited about such petitions as most do NOT contain the requisite elements:

Must provide valid address

Anyone who signs a petition must also include her current address, including street number, city, state and zip code. Post office boxes do not usually count. The address should also correspond with the address that appears on each individual's voter registration card.
Read more: Rules of Petition Signatures | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6142562_rules-petition-signatures.html#ixzz1Z0A05fwY

In addition I find it far beyond belief that the "White House" would react in any way favorable even to a genuine/valid petition with a mere 5,000 signers - now maybe 500,000 would get their attention.

rhenriksen

I agree with grapeshot's skepticism, and it gives me the creeps to register myself at the current administration's whitehouse.gov website. Nonetheless, I tried. Filled out the registration form, waited for the confirmation email, clicked the included link, and got this webpage in response:

Our Apologies
This Section of our site is currently undergoing maintenance
We appreciate your patience while we make some improvements
Please check back shortly

KBCraig

I find it far beyond belief that the "White House" would react in any way favorable even to a genuine/valid petition with a mere 5,000 signers - now maybe 500,000 would get their attention.
I wouldn't expect the White House to be favorable; the goal of getting signatures is to get a lot, so that the number can be used to persuade others, who aren't in the White House.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I agree with grapeshot's skepticism, and it gives me the creeps to register myself at the current administration's whitehouse.gov website. Nonetheless, I tried. Filled out the registration form, waited for the confirmation email, clicked the included link, and got this webpage in response:

Our Apologies
This Section of our site is currently undergoing maintenance
We appreciate your patience while we make some improvements
Please check back shortly

huh... very interesting

xd shooter

This statement is laughable. Name me one place on the planet where it was easy to carry gun legally and then the government suddenly turned around and knew who to go after?

Your statement is utter nonsense.

Australia, the U.K. (except Northern Ireland), Jamaica, and other places that disarmed most people already had strict licensing to possess laws, strict storage laws, strict purchasing laws etc.

I can find no evidence ANYWHERE that some place went from the gun laws of New Hampshire to North Korea overnight.

I don't think anyone is saying that this will happen tomorrow, before 8 AM. The loss of our gun rights has been happening over time, slowly, so slowly that some people have completely missed it.

Registration of ALL guns won't turn into confiscation the next day...but eventually it can and WILL unless we are ever vigilant and stop it before it gets to that point. But why wait? Stop registration NOW, then we don't have to worry about it POSSIBLY turning in to confiscation later.

Maine CWP Training

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Scheduled for House Floor on Tuesday— Contact Your U.S. Representative Immediately!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

H.R. 822—the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011” is scheduled for a vote on the U.S. House floor this Tuesday, November 15. We’ve told you the truth about why the legislation is very good for gun owners and now it is imperative that you contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge him or her to vote for H.R. 822 WITH NO AMENDMENTS.

READ MORE

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act Scheduled for House Floor on Tuesday— Contact Your U.S. Representative Immediately!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

H.R. 822—the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011” is scheduled for a vote on the U.S. House floor this Tuesday, November 15. We’ve told you the truth about why the legislation is very good for gun owners and now it is imperative that you contact your U.S. Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge him or her to vote for H.R. 822 WITH NO AMENDMENTS.

READ MORE

Status of H.R. 822? Can find no update other than the NRA.
http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/bills/112/hr822