• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting legislation for EMS to carry firearms

Marco

This act will also allow personnel to carry a concealed firearm anywhere within the commonwealth of Virginia when off-duty in the event they that might be called at a moment’s notice to respond to an emergency.

I was with you up until this point.
I will not support I'd urge other not to support either, EMS are no more special than the folks they treat (just like LEO), if the masses can't neither can you.

On duty is one thing, off duty NO SUPPORT at least from me.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But......but.....but the GA has decreed that the life/safety of a LEO or CA is more worthy/valuable than that of a mere commoner. :mad:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I will not support I'd urge other not to support either, EMS are no more special than the folks they treat (just like LEO), if the masses can't neither can you.

This is where I would stand on the issue as well.

Jay

Okay buddy I have no problem with you disagreeing, but besides just saying "NO" how about NO but if you did this....

Now in my county you are never "off duty" well there is a caveat Example: Last night the on duty ambulance crew was sent on a call ten minutes later there was a second call in town. I was alerted to the call while I was carrying my two way radio while I was in the supermarket I left and went to the building to get the ambulance in civilian clothes because this practice is allowed. Actually with difficulties in staffing among volunteer services most second and third calls are staffed by volunteers that go about there daily lives.

So where do you draw the line between what you consider on-duty and off-duty. If I am carrying around my radio in anticipation that a second or third crew call comes, and I would respond is that on-duty? This is the issue that I am having with this.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is where I would stand on the issue as well.

Yep....you're blowing your support Jay and it won't make it past committee.
ON DUTY is OK and even that will get opposition...as you've already seen.

The "I'm always on duty" argument is old hat. LEO's have been using it for years. If you want to CC off duty, get a CHP.
There isn't much wiggle room there.

Marco

Yep....you're blowing your support Jay and it won't make it past committee.
ON DUTY is OK and even that will get opposition...as you've already seen.

The "I'm always on duty" argument is old hat. LEO's have been using it for years. If you want to CC off duty, get a CHP.
There isn't much wiggle room there.

1+
Even though I could benefit (would need to join a vol rescue squad) I can't support the off duty/clock special privilege.
I don't support it for LE/Corrections/ CA and don't wish to add EMS to the list.

I opposed HR 218 because I knew LE wouldn't through their support behind removing restrictions for everyday folks.

However, I do appauld your efforts.
If you'd just want to keep it to while on duty I might support, depending on how it was worded.

I'd rather see a law that says if you CC'd illegally but the need arose for lawful SD, there would be no prosecution for the CC offense if the use or diplay was justified or acquitted.

Jay

What about unrestricted carry if you are in responding distance of the organization you work/volunteer for or within the county of the organization?

If you go anywhere else in the commonwealth CCW is needed & restriction applies.

Last edited:

Marco

What about unrestricted carry if you are in responding distance of the organization you work/volunteer for or within the county of the organization?

If you go anywhere else in the commonwealth CCW is needed & restriction applies.

So, while attending the UVA/GMU/VCU etc... game/visting a friend on campus or at the hosptial even thou you aren't working you should be allowed to carry but not me/us, if they get their regs passed?
So, while attending your childs play at school you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?
So, while having a parent teacher conference you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?
So, while paying your parking ticket/going to court you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?
So, while vactioning at home or your day off you should be allowed to carry anywhere you please but not me/us?
So, while shopping at a store that is posted no firearms you should be allowed to carry without facing possible trespassing charges unlike the rest of us?
So, while getting mail/shipping from the PO you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?

LE/CA/CO's shouldn't be allowed to carry every/anywhere unless they are working getting paid(at the time) neither should anyone else, unless everyone who can legally own can.

None of those in the protected classes listed (not listed) are special, their lives aren't any more valuable than the lives of the none sworn.
Instead of trying to get another protected class of civil employees let's get unrestricted/less rectricted carry for everyone.

Just because you may go somewhere that might be dangerous doesn't mean you have anymore right to be armed than anyone else.

Last edited:

Jay

So, while attending the UVA/GMU/VCU game/visting a friend on campus or at the hosptial even thou you aren't working you should be allowed to carry but not me/us, if they get their regs passed?
So, while attending your childs play at school you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?
So, while having a parent teacher conference you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?
So, while paying your parking ticket/going to court you should be allowed to carry but not me/us?
So, while vactioning at home or your day off you should be allowed to carry anywhere you please but not me/us?
So, while shopping at a store that is posted no firearms you should be allowed to carry without facing possible trespassing charges unlike the rest of us?

LE/CA/CO's shouldn't be allowed to carry every/anywhere unless they are working getting paid(at the time) neither should anyone else, unless everyone one can.

None of those in the protected classes listed (not listed) are special, their lives aren't any more valuable than the lives of the none sworn.
Instead of trying to get another protected class of civil employees let's get unrestricted/less rectricted carry for everyone.

I see your point and I suppose it would not be fair, but you would support "unrestricted carry" while "on" duty?

Marco

I see your point and I suppose it would not be fair, but you would support "unrestricted carry" while "on" duty?

While working in offical capacity depending on how it is worded.
If not worded in a way that would imply EMS personnel are always on duty which they aren't, I might be able to support.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Jay, I've commented enough on this so I'll leave it with this thought.

This started out to cure some ambiguity in the EMS rules. One says it's OK to carry but there was a hole in the ruling.

The Bill was to correct that hole and become a mini workplace law.

You've become hooked on the idea of CC without a permit. If that's how your group wants to present the bill, it's your decision. Just make sure you understand that this is a tough sell without the CC provision and pretty much a doormat with it.

Jay

You are confusing the heck out of me in one post you say you would support a special classed bill that allows carry without a CHP. Then in your last post it says I am hooked on doing it without a permit.

That was your suggestion!!!

You've become hooked on the idea of CC without a permit. If that's how your group wants to present the bill, it's your decision. Just make sure you understand that this is a tough sell without the CC provision and pretty much a doormat with it.

I'd be supportive if Jay comes up with a bill that doesn't require a CHP and allows them to carry on the job. Small steps in the right direction are better than Giant Steps backwards.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You are confusing the heck out of me in one post you say you would support a special classed bill that allows carry without a CHP. Then in your last post it says I am hooked on doing it without a permit.

That was your suggestion!!!

It's not confusing at all Jay.
You keep trying to expand when you can carry.
You are working when you're on the clock. Not when you're on call or may be called or thinking about called. Actually sitting in the Vehicle or building or on scene.

That's really the only issue with me and again, I'm not going to get into it further. I'll just see what the bill looks like because as I said in the beginning. It will get rewritten if you can find a patron. Then amended X times before it's even discussed.

Believe it or not, I've just been trying to help you come up with something that has a chance of being considered.

grylnsmn

You are working when you're on the clock. Not when you're on call or may be called or thinking about called. Actually sitting in the Vehicle or building or on scene.
This is a valid point.

For my job, I spend a lot of time on call. However, I don't get paid for time spent on call. I only get paid for time actually called.

If you are on call and get called, at that point, you are no longer on call. You are then in the process of responding to a call. A law that allows you to carry (open or concealed) while you are responding to a call should be sufficient. Otherwise you are simply adding yourself to the special classes.

If you want to carry concealed on your own time, get a CHP like anyone else (until we get constitutional carry in place).

paramedic70002

I would BE THRILLED:banana: if my EMS ID badge gave me unrestricted carry but I just can't see where it's necessary or appropriate to be that special. Don't poison the water by trying to get that wedged into an otherwise palatable bill.

OTOH there may be some EMS providers in VA who are classed "Paid On Call" where they actually get compensated a pittance to be available in their district for unmanned ambulance calls, and are not allowed to leave the area. I don't think just BEING in your first due area should qualify.

Maybe if you rewrite it to say "in full uniform" since most off duty EMSers aren't going to stay in uniform (even though there are those that wear a tee shirt or coat) while they go about the rest of their lives. When you're off duty, just go about your business as usual. When the pager goes off and you respond, the enhanced rules kick in.

THOUGHT: Maybe add the requirement of carrying EMS ID to qualify under the statute.

THOUGHT: Make the exemption to 18.2-308 for "On duty, paid-on-call and responding EMS personnel."

I don't have a problem with LEOs being unrestricted off duty because of the nature of their job and the fact that they may have occasion to run into their "clients" when off duty. In EMS having an off duty run in with an unhappy customer just doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:

Jay

That's really the only issue with me and again, I'm not going to get into it further. I'll just see what the bill looks like because as I said in the beginning. It will get rewritten if you can find a patron. Then amended X times before it's even discussed.

Believe it or not, I've just been trying to help you come up with something that has a chance of being considered.

Fair Enough

paramedic70002

My letter to Senator Creigh Deeds this has not been sent yet and I would like comment.

11/15/2011

Senator Creigh Deeds,

Mr. Deeds I first would like to congratulate you on your re-election to the State Senate for District 25. With the new Legislative Session approaching quickly I felt this would be the appropriate time to introduce a new act called “EMS Providers’ Safety and Right to Self Defense Act”. This is a common sense act that allows Emergency Medical Responders to carry firearms or other self defense (avoid "dangerous" as it gives the wrong subconscious impression) weapons with them while performing their duties once certain criteria that I have outlined have been met. This act will also allow personnel to carry a concealed firearm anywhere within the commonwealth of Virginia when off-duty in the event they that might be called at a moment’s notice to respond to an emergency. This is not an act that would give EMS personnel statutory power of arrest. It is merely a way for EMS personnel to protect themselves in a self-defense situation in the absence of law enforcement should the need arise.

Some background I have been an Emergency Medical Technician for the last sixteen years, and have had my share of extremely close calls. Safety among like persons in my profession has been a constant struggle. (According to a study by the National Association of EMT’s in 2005) The No. 1 injury to EMS providers is assault with the national average at 1.8 per 10,000 workers per year. Healthcare providers are more likely to be assaulted on the job than police officers or prison guards. The relative risk for EMS workers is about 30 times higher than the national average. Yet some EMS agencies continue to not allow us to carry a weapon for personal protection.

The Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services is taxed with creating and enforcing regulations that EMS departments must adhere to in order to be a licensed provider for the commonwealth. There was a regulation that stated only law enforcement could carry firearms while on an ambulance. However the office received much opposition over the regulation, and although there is a revision that strikes it technically it still exists until the governor signs off. There has been a letter issued by the Office of Emergency Medical Services giving directive to their enforcement personnel that they are not to enforce the regulation should someone carry a weapon on an ambulance that is not law enforcement. This is a huge plus for EMS providers, but it still does not prevent individual organizations from preventing personnel from carrying weapons while they are on duty. Should the act that I have given you be passed it would prevent agencies from doing this.

I will be asking the National Rifle Association, Virginia Citizens Defense League, and fellow EMS providers to support this crucial act. I urge you to please introduce and sponsor this act at the next legislative session in 2012. Help us to protect ourselves while we continue to put our lives on the line so that others may live.

I made one significant suggestion to your letter. Other edits have been discussed in other posts.

You might want to include more of the the "FINDINGS" I listed in my post with the original sample legislation, and do a general rewrite to make it flow better.

Jay

I would BE THRILLED:banana: if my EMS ID badge gave me unrestricted carry but I just can't see where it's necessary or appropriate to be that special. Don't poison the water by trying to get that wedged into an otherwise palatable bill.

OTOH there may be some EMS providers in VA who are classed "Paid On Call" where they actually get compensated a pittance to be available in their district for unmanned ambulance calls, and are not allowed to leave the area. I don't think just BEING in your first due area should qualify.

Maybe if you rewrite it to say "in full uniform" since most off duty EMSers aren't going to stay in uniform (even though there are those that wear a tee shirt or coat) while they go about the rest of their lives. When you're off duty, just go about your business as usual. When the pager goes off and you respond, the enhanced rules kick in.

THOUGHT: Maybe add the requirement of carrying EMS ID to qualify under the statute.

THOUGHT: Make the exemption to 18.2-308 for "On duty, paid-on-call and responding EMS personnel."

I don't have a problem with LEOs being unrestricted off duty because of the nature of their job and the fact that they may have occasion to run into their "clients" when off duty. In EMS having an off duty run in with an unhappy customer just doesn't seem likely.

Yes I agree that our ID badge needs to say something along the lines of "Firearms Qualified" because regardless if you have a CCW or not there has to be some type of distinction if you are qualified to carry on an ambulance into a hospital etc.

As far as wearing uniform we do not have any uniform requirement you can if you want, but most wear jeans, boots, and a polo even when assigned to the building.

At this point I really do not care how the statue is written all I want is to be able to carry a firearm on an ambulance and anywhere I go while "on" a call without having to disarm and leave my firearm in an ambulance or my car. I do not want to be handling my gun around other people unless I need to shoot something or someone.

Last edited:

Jay

I made one significant suggestion to your letter. Other edits have been discussed in other posts.

You might want to include more of the the "FINDINGS" I listed in my post with the original sample legislation, and do a general rewrite to make it flow better.

I would include your findings I just left it off of here in an effort to save space