• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A bit off-topic: Video and Audio Recording of LEOs

Uber_Olafsun

I do see the difference.

But...all the guy had to do was stop recording. He could have moved to another vantage point and began recording again.

He didn't, and got himself arrested some something that was totally avoidable.

The point I've been attempting to make is this: After all is said and done, was it worth to get arrested for something so trivial? Something, in the grand scheme of things that was so asinine and meaningless?

I think not.

So the guy has to let his rights be violated and try to get another angle??? Cops need to know the law. If not they should not be in their position.

xd shooter

All he had to do was stop doing something completely within his rights TO do. Is that all?

Where is the point at which you think the Officer has overstepped his authority? Maybe he should have stressed the point that he wanted the individual to stop filming by shooting him.

But I digress... The point you are missing and still don't get, NO officer has the authority to tell anyone to stop doing something that is totally legal.

Would you be upset by being arrested for walking down a sidewalk after an officer told you not to?

You say that If you ever arrested, read your rights, handcuffed and taken into police custody, it will have to be for a lot more substantial reason than refusing to turn your video camera off.

Unfortunately, you may not have that choice!

Last edited:

xd shooter

Apparently. And if this is the common thinking among Police Officers, it's no wonder these problems continue to happen.

scouser

for your entertainment I'd like to offer my impression of xd shooter trying to talk to you know who

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I can't remember the name of the movie, it was from the 1980's, one of those John Hughes high school movies, but one of the lines keeps coming to mind

"you're flapping your lips in vain, he's vacated"

Baked on Grease

I do see the difference.

But...all the guy had to do was stop recording. He could have moved to another vantage point and began recording again.

He didn't, and got himself arrested some for something that was totally avoidable.

The point I've been attempting to make is this: After all is said and done, was it worth to get arrested for something so trivial? Something, in the grand scheme of things that was so asinine and meaningless?

I think not.

Note: I have yet to watch the video, but I think that is irrelevent to my point atm.

I really hate to use the analogy, but it's the only one I can think of at the moment. I am not ragging or harping on you, but feel it has to be said in light of your responses:

So Rosa Parks could have gone to the back of the bus, but got herself arrested for something that was totally avoidable?

It may seem meaningless to some, but it may be profound in the grand scheme of things. It may have been completely worth it to him and those that that believe as he does.

To paraphrase Herman Cain, resisting and joining the struggle to stand up for your rights isn't for everyone. I understand that, but also please don't rag on those that do.

Sent using tapatalk

xd shooter

scouser, you're absolutely right. Probably better for me if I put him on ignore like other trolls..:)

MilProGuy

So Rosa Parks could have gone to the back of the bus, but got herself arrested for something that was totally avoidable?

It may seem meaningless to some, but it may be profound in the grand scheme of things. It may have been completely worth it to him and those that that believe as he does.

To paraphrase Herman Cain, resisting and joining the struggle to stand up for your rights isn't for everyone. I understand that, but also please don't rag on those that do.

You know, I honestly thought of Rosa Parks during the course of one of my replies, and you are right, this lady took a stand (by taking a seat) for something laudable, noble, decent, and that was certainly worth getting arrested for in the grand scheme of the civil rights movement.

I sincerely appreciate the comments you have made in response to my posts; and you have helped me to understand, just possibly, why this man chose to defy the order of a law enforcement officer and submit to the humiliating experience of being arrested. He must have held some strong convictions about his right to continue videotaping.

Thank you for mentioning the paraphrased comment by Mr. Herman Cain about standing up for one's rights; but my intentions weren't really to rag on the fellow for getting himself arrested as much as they were to state my opinion that it certainly would not have been a strong enough conviction for ME to allow myself to be arrested for such a trite cause.

Thank you again.

MilProGuy

That's fine. Choose them, I don't recall inviting you here.

You didn't invite me. I didn't realize that one needed an invitation to post on the threads of this forum.

If sir, you are a moderator or administrator, and are telling me to leave...I'll certainly abide by your wishes.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

scouser, you're absolutely right. Probably better for me if I put him on ignore like other trolls..:)

A troll?

Just because a fellow member's opinions don't agree with your own, you call them a troll?

Seems rather childish to me.

If you and Peter Nap are intent to insult me away from this forum just because your opinion differs from mine, I will be happy to oblige you both by leaving.

Perhaps, new members who come on board will all think and comment like nice little robots and everyone will be happy. Is that what you guys really want in a forum?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
A troll?

If you and Peter Nap are intent to insult me away from this forum just because your opinion differs from mine, I will be happy to oblige you both by leaving.

No, I'm not a Mod and I haven't insulted you. Trust me, there won't be any question.
I'm just blunt.
You don't need my permission to stay, my comment about not inviting you was directed at your shaded view of rights and exercising them. I don't want you anywhere near me but you're welcome to live out your life as YOU please.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

MilProGuy

I don't know if you were like this before the stroke or not, but I'd like to think you were not.Bowing and scraping just to avoid a confrontation isn't very becoming to a career military man.

The stroke comment was definitely cruel, out of line, insulting, and beneath the dignity of anyone who would deign to call themselves a grown man.

Since your moderators on this forum choose to allow this kind of attack on a fellow forum member and won't put a stop to it, I will leave you boys to yourselves.

I will go back to a forum where the moderators actually moderate and the members are friendly and respectful of one another.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The stroke comment was definitely cruel, out of line, insulting, and beneath the dignity of anyone who would deign to call themselves a grown man.

It wasn't meant that way. It was factual and actually came from you, but your response explains many things.

KBCraig

You think that's all it would take, eh? The experience of professional journalists, hobbyist videographers, and just plain John Q. with a camera phone shows different.

If you'd like, I can dig up specific video examples of people doing exactly what you advised, only to be followed, harassed, and sometimes arrested.

va_tazdad

With all due respect,

“What all of this was was the police just hassling him,” Patrick Anderson, one of the lawyers who handled the case, said in a statement. “If this thing had not been on video, then this man would have had to face the word of two police officers and would have been in trouble in court.”

No...if the man had not been recording the police officers, they would not have said anything to him in the first place, and there would have been no arrest.

It seems the fellow got the attention he so desperately was craving.

I must say that you are wrong. Police are frequently wrong when they "quote" the law.

Following your logic, anyone that OCs in public is also “desperately craving attention”, right?

He was not looking for attention, but he was exercising his right under the 1st amendment to record in public.

Now, what I would like to know is which rights you think are not worth being arrested for and are you willing to surrender them???

Last edited:

Dreamer

No...if the man had not been recording the police officers, they would not have said anything to him in the first place, and there would have been no arrest.

You are correct. The correct behavior in the face of thuggish, illegal, and unconstitutional actions of the banker-mercenary LEAs is this:

bend_over1.jpg

doug23838

I didn't say it was an arrestable offense...I merely gave an opinion that I feel this fellow got himself arrested for no good reason.

If I am ever arrested, read my rights, handcuffed and taken into police custody, it will have to be for a lot more substantial reason than refusing to turn my video camera off.

So... you will obey an unlawful order? One given that you know that there is no rule of law behind the order.

Its the same way with me and the "lockdown" crap. There is no rule of law behind it, and I don't have to obey it. Ditto with "turn off that camera"

The answer is simply: No.

Yea.. I'll take an arrest for that.