• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A bit off-topic: Video and Audio Recording of LEOs

doug23838

You didn't invite me. I didn't realize that one needed an invitation to post on the threads of this forum.

If sir, you are a moderator or administrator, and are telling me to leave...I'll certainly abide by your wishes.

So, in other words, "if someone (you perceive to be) in a position of authority ASKS you to do something, you'll do it."

You'll leave someplace you're permitted to be. You'll turn off the camera you're entitled to operate.

You'll allow a bag search without RAS.

May your chains rest lightly upon you.

Last edited:

pyite

The stroke comment was definitely cruel, out of line, insulting, and beneath the dignity of anyone who would deign to call themselves a grown man.

Since your moderators on this forum choose to allow this kind of attack on a fellow forum member and won't put a stop to it, I will leave you boys to yourselves.

I will go back to a forum where the moderators actually moderate and the members are friendly and respectful of one another.

I am going to have to agree with your there. That comment was out of line.

Repeater

Glik v. Cunniffe

Because they are afraid you might catch them on video if and when they lose their cool and do something stupid. It's that simple.

I've been reading this thread for some time without conmmenting. My view is fully in accord with Glik v. Cunniffe:
The First Amendment issue here is, as the parties frame it, fairly narrow: is there a constitutionally protected right to videotape police carrying out their duties in public? Basic First Amendment principles, along with case law from this and other circuits, answer that question unambiguously in the affirmative.

The filming of government officials engaged in their duties in a public place, including police officers performing their responsibilities, fits comfortably within these principles. Gathering information about government officials in a form that can readily be disseminated to others serves a cardinal First Amendment interest in protecting and promoting “the free discussion of governmental affairs.” ... This is particularly true of law enforcement officials, who are granted substantial discretion that may be misused to deprive individuals of their liberties.

Ensuring the public's right to gather information about their officials not only aids in the uncovering of abuses, see id. at 1034–35 (recognizing a core First Amendment interest in “the dissemination of information relating to alleged governmental misconduct”), but also may have a salutary effect on the functioning of government more generally, see Press–Enter. Co. v. Superior Court, 478 U.S. 1, 8 (1986) (noting that “many governmental processes operate best under public scrutiny”).

Such peaceful recording of an arrest in a public space that does not interfere with the police officers' performance of their duties is not reasonably subject to limitation.

In our society, police officers are expected to endure significant burdens caused by citizens' exercise of their First Amendment rights. ... The same restraint demanded of law enforcement officers in the face of “provocative and challenging” speech, id. at 461 (quoting Terminiello v. Chicago, 337 U.S. 1, 4 (1949)), must be expected when they are merely the subject of videotaping that memorializes, without impairing, their work in public spaces.

While this significant opinion is from the First Circuit, I'm confident it would be readily adopted by the Fourth Circuit, thus applying to all of us.

Fallschirjmäger

I didn't say it was an arrestable offense...I merely gave an opinion that I feel this fellow got himself arrested for no good reason.

If I am ever arrested, read my rights, handcuffed and taken into police custody, it will have to be for a lot more substantial reason than refusing to turn my video camera off.
Because you'll capitulate and lay on your back the very moment they look twice at you?

Fenris

I agree with MilPro that I do not want to get arrested for no good reason. Who would if you think about it? But the real question is what is a "good reason" and what is "no good reason" for a person.

I believe that the right for anybody to video/audio record the actions of the police in a public place is an important right and needs people to protect it. If we can not watch the watchers, who will?

Further standing up against the arbitrary and capricious exercise of police authority also sounds like a pretty "good reason" to me.

Thundar

Upright and honest peace officers have nothing to fear from thr recordings. Those with thuggish tendencies face a radically shortened law enforcement careers.

HandyHamlet

Nope, you still don't get it.

Now THAT is an understatement.

:banghead:

The cops can covertly photograph the Black Panthers from the cover of their unmarked car. But IMMEDIATELY protest when they are openly photographed. Then assault and abuse the civil rights of a citizen engaging in a Constitutionally protected act. (3:52)

There is a war on photography in this country. It is our duty as citizen journalists to photograph, film, and record.

Judge Emory A. Pitt Jr. wrote: "Those of us who are public officials and are entrusted with the power of the state are ultimately accountable to the public. When we exercise that power in public fora, we should not expect our actions to be shielded from public observation. 'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/maryland/charges-dropped-in-cyclist-tro.html

This is what the Constitutionally challenged will never grasp. We the People, By the People, For the People...

Time to take it back one photograph at a time.