• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Stories From SW VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

I also have a .22Cal 9 shot revolver that i will be carrying this spring after it warms up, If i ever have to put a BG down i can sure do it with my .22Cal,

Yeah a .22 will put someone down, just depends on where you hit them. Not saying anyone on this forum is ignorant or anything, please don't take it as I am talking about people here...But a lot of people look down on a .22, yeah it might not be able to penetrate bone, but once it hits a bone after penetrating into say the chest cavity...it will bounce around and has a posibility of doing more damage than a .500 would....possibly

OCed today to haul off some scrap for a buddy, nothing to report about at the scrap places in Mount Airy NC. D&Js is awesome!

Last edited:

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Thread sorta died out a bit lol. Nothing new from the Cana area about OCing, nothing to report in Mt Airy NC either. Started a group on Facebook for hauling peoples trash off, wonder how they would react to someone coming up to take away their trash with a gun strapped to his side? Oh wait...there is something I can say, in Winston-Salem I got noticed by a couple of guys, my buddy who will remain nameless at the moment, and I went to buy him a bike down in Winston-Salem. Got there and he test drove the bike to make sure there weren't any surprises, while he was out one of the gentlemen that was selling the bike had bummed a cigarette off of me, while I was handing him a smoke, his buddy had asked me how I hadn't gotten into any trouble yet with the pistol being openly visible. I told him about how VA as well as NC has OC without permit, he nor his buddy knew this. So I feel I sorta of educated (I guess that's the right word to use) them a little bit about it, we talked for about five to ten minutes (can't go into too much detail about it in that short of a time) til my buddy got back with the bike. Maybe there will be two others to join the OC guys and gals already out there carrying.

Oh and by the way, thank you for changing the name of the thread Admin. (If you are even skimming over this thread. Just wanted to say thanks here on it, sorry I didn't before now.)

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yeah a .22 will put someone down, just depends on where you hit them. Not saying anyone on this forum is ignorant or anything, please don't take it as I am talking about people here...But a lot of people look down on a .22, yeah it might not be able to penetrate bone, but once it hits a bone after penetrating into say the chest cavity...it will bounce around and has a posibility of doing more damage than a .500 would....possibly

OCed today to haul off some scrap for a buddy, nothing to report about at the scrap places in Mount Airy NC. D&Js is awesome!

Welcome aboard. If I may make a few suggestions as to your choice of carry caliber. With all due respect, you would not be serving yourself well with either a .22 or a .454 Magnum as a carry defensive firearm. Both make very good hunting calibers for their perspective game, but neither make very good defensive calibers against the two-legged varmints. For your own safety and future well-being, please don't delude yourself into thinking a .22 is going to do the job in an extreme encounter. You are already at somewhat of a disadvantage with a handgun, when compared to a long gun, so why make things even more strained by using a .22 instead of a far better choice of caliber?

I know you mentioned that for now that is all you have and that's fine. But do consider that when the time comes to upgrade to a better handgun load, get something that has a decent track record and will stop the fray before you suffer the hurt and pain of an enraged attacker who you just shot with a .22 instead of something more serious.

We want you to go home each night safe and in one piece and of course, we hope you never have to pull your gun in defense of yourself or someone else. But if it ever comes to that, we also want YOU to be the one to walk out of it unscathed and whole.

Just a thought and again, welcome to OCDO.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome aboard. If I may make a few suggestions as to your choice of carry caliber. With all due respect, you would not be serving yourself well with either a .22 or a .454 Magnum as a carry defensive firearm. Both make very good hunting calibers for their perspective game, but neither make very good defensive calibers against the two-legged varmints. For your own safety and future well-being, please don't delude yourself into thinking a .22 is going to do the job in an extreme encounter. You are already at somewhat of a disadvantage with a handgun, when compared to a long gun, so why make things even more strained by using a .22 instead of a far better choice of caliber?

I know you mentioned that for now that is all you have and that's fine. But do consider that when the time comes to upgrade to a better handgun load, get something that has a decent track record and will stop the fray before you suffer the hurt and pain of an enraged attacker who you just shot with a .22 instead of something more serious.

We want you to go home each night safe and in one piece and of course, we hope you never have to pull your gun in defense of yourself or someone else. But if it ever comes to that, we also want YOU to be the one to walk out of it unscathed and whole.

I only partly agree with that SB.
The 22 isn't my first choice in a walking around gun but it wouldn't be my last either. Remember, he's up in Gods Country and things are a little different.
The 22 LR has been the working round of country people since it was invented.

The 454 is fine in a good double action revolver. It's nothing but a hot loaded 45colt and that holds the title as the proven manstopper.
The bulk may get to be an issue but if he's willing to put up with it (I'm not and that's why I carry a 44 Mag) he will be well armed for whateve life throws at him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here's a suggestion for the Original Poster...

On your original post, click the little triangle on the bar at the bottom of the post. That opens up a window where you can "report" the post to the moderators. Ask them to rename the thread to "Open Carry in Southwest Virginia". Voila, now you have an OC thread for SW Virginia.

Problem solved.

TFred

That has been done.

Felix

...The 454 is fine in a good double action revolver. It's nothing but a hot loaded 45colt and that holds the title as the proven manstopper.

Over 4x the allowable pressure levels! The .45 Colt was developed as a low-pressure blackpowder cartridge. Casull cartridge brass has been structurally beefed up (and lengthened) to withstand magnum rifle pressure levels. And needs heavier (thicker) rifle primers to withstand the pressure.

A bit more than merely a "hot loaded" .45 Colt. :lol:

Having said that though, the .45 Colt is one of my favorites cartridges. I send a lot of cast bullets downrange out of a S&W Model 25 which is over 30 years old.

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Thanks for the input SB. Will take it into consideration. As a few have mention the .22 has been around for ages, it might not have knockdown/stopping power but what the BG's don't know won't hurt em. As for the .454, as I posted earlier, that caliber has always stood out to me for a few reasons, one it being a beefed up .45, it having the stopping/knockdown power, as well as I have been more of a revolver man than a semi auto. (Had a few semi's jam too many times to count.) Would rather put my life on the line while holding a revolver and a high caliber one at that. I too don't wish to have to ever pull it in defense of myself or another, but one never knows. And there is a possiblity, even though I only have a .22 right now that it could deter, just by being on my hip, that alone is worth it being whatever caliber it is. Like I said it is not a "manstopper" as someone said, but so long as it is a deterant I am fine with that, til I can upgrade.

And as far as being deluded, a well trained peron who knows their firearm, can and will be able to take down someone even if they are carrying a .22 hit the eye socket and let the bullet bounce around inside the brain bucket, throat sever the main artery, or hit their windpipe. I don't think they would be able to do much while holding together what allows them to breath or keep a bit of oxygen to their head. But, I would prefer something that could possibly knock them to the ground if not pick them up and carry them a couple of feet to where they would be totally out of the equation altogether.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
But, I would prefer something that could possibly knock them to the ground if not pick them up and carry them a couple of feet to where they would be totally out of the equation altogether.

Somebody has been watching too many movies, me thinks. :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Over 4x the allowable pressure levels! The .45 Colt was developed as a low-pressure blackpowder cartridge. Casull cartridge brass has been structurally beefed up (and lengthened) to withstand magnum rifle pressure levels. And needs heavier (thicker) rifle primers to withstand the pressure.

A bit more than merely a "hot loaded" .45 Colt. :lol:

Having said that though, the .45 Colt is one of my favorites cartridges. I send a lot of cast bullets downrange out of a S&W Model 25 which is over 30 years old.

That's absolutely true Felix, but standard 45 Colt cartridges fit in it just fine.
I routinely download my contender just to save on powder and primers plus I don't have to guess if they will fire in my 45C Rugers.

It's no different than shooting 44spl in my mags or if I had any, 38's in my 357.

MSC 45ACP

Definitely someone watches a lot of TV or goes to the theater quite often. Calibers that are capable of physically "moving" a 200+ lb man are usually measured in 'mm's, not "caliber"... Like 40MM grenade rounds, etc.

Either a movie buff or reads a lot of spy novels:
True, the Mossad uses and prefers .22 cal. and trains to make head-shots with those cute little Berettas with the "tip-up" barrel.
The Mafia uses .22 cal for the same reason: The bullets, even when recovered, are usually so mangled they cannot be traced or identified.
The difference: Mossad agents don't usually get blood on themselves when they do it because they train to make 15 - 20 yard shots.

I know another organization that uses 3" x 5" index cards for accuracy drills with various calibers and ranges: U. S. Navy SeALs.
Great bunch of folks to work for. They take care of their people well, even civilian tech. support.

In another thread, a friend of mine (and fellow .45acp admirer) resorted to buying a 9mm for practice. The economy effects all of us! I've considered the same thing. Getting a couple more .22's. Rifle and pistol. Marksmanship practice can be done in any caliber. I wish Newport News had the same (less restrictive) laws as York County for bb and pellet gun discharges. I'd be shooting in my back yard!

Law_Abiding_Citizen

Somebody has been watching too many movies, me thinks. :p

Hrm, maybe it wouldn't carry them far but it would knock them off their feet and they would land a few feet from where their feet were. I didn't mean the picking them up and carrying them to be taken literal. But within reasonability.

Autozoners love it when I walk in with the revolver on my hip. The older fellas just nod and smile, get some quick service there now lol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hrm, maybe it wouldn't carry them far but it would knock them off their feet and they would land a few feet from where their feet were. I didn't mean the picking them up and carrying them to be taken literal. But within reasonability.

Autozoners love it when I walk in with the revolver on my hip. The older fellas just nod and smile, get some quick service there now lol.

Sorry but a person hit with even a .50 cal doesn't get blown back - the round goes threw them and makes a bigger hole - dat's it.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9401967776/m/42519312101

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlownAcrossTheRoom

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I only partly agree with that SB.
The 22 isn't my first choice in a walking around gun but it wouldn't be my last either. Remember, he's up in Gods Country and things are a little different.
The 22 LR has been the working round of country people since it was invented.

The 454 is fine in a good double action revolver. It's nothing but a hot loaded 45colt and that holds the title as the proven manstopper.
The bulk may get to be an issue but if he's willing to put up with it (I'm not and that's why I carry a 44 Mag) he will be well armed for whateve life throws at him.

Oh I'm not saying you should completely avoid using them. After all, having one is better than having nothing on one's person should the need arise. What I was suggesting is that there are better choices to be had for two-legged predators. In 1968 during the riots that sprung up after King's murder, I carried a Ruger Super Single Six with the .22 Magnum cylinder and loads. It was the only gun I had at the time and was certainly better than a stick. One does with what one has at the time. I also have a .44 Magnum in a fine double action revolver but would not carry that for general SD work. Not only is it a might heavy (though I carried it for hours walking around in the mountains hunting in the past), it would prevent entrance and egress from my car and my truck while on my person. Quick followup shots are not in the program with it, either (not to mention that little thing called muzzle blast).

Our new friend will do what he believes to be best in his interests I am sure. And that is how it should be... his and his decision alone. Never hurts to offer suggestions but in the end, he is the deciding factor in what he chooses to carry and use.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh I'm not saying you should completely avoid using them. After all, having one is better than having nothing on one's person should the need arise. What I was suggesting is that there are better choices to be had for two-legged predators. In 1968 during the riots that sprung up after King's murder, I carried a Ruger Super Single Six with the .22 Magnum cylinder and loads. It was the only gun I had at the time and was certainly better than a stick. One does with what one has at the time. I also have a .44 Magnum in a fine double action revolver but would not carry that for general SD work. Not only is it a might heavy (though I carried it for hours walking around in the mountains hunting in the past), it would prevent entrance and egress from my car and my truck while on my person. Quick followup shots are not in the program with it, either (not to mention that little thing called muzzle blast).

Our new friend will do what he believes to be best in his interests I am sure. And that is how it should be... his and his decision alone. Never hurts to offer suggestions but in the end, he is the deciding factor in what he chooses to carry and use.

Well expressed and I am sure supported by most everyone here - better to have than to have not.
icon14.png

papa bear

i was out to kill several birds with one stone, by going to Salem, VA to see my son and go to the gun show with the VCDL. i took my mother (to see her grandson). he had not made it from church yet, so i took my mother to Goodwill. while we were there ( for a good while too). a women came up to me and asked if i had a permit for my gun. in which case, i replied that no i did not. she kinda of looked stunned for a moment. so i volunteered that you did not have to have a permit in VA to carry a firearm.
she went on to explain that a "customer had said something about it made her nervous. i said that was a shame. that she did not have to worry about one that is holstered and not being hid. she said she totally agreed, that she had guns herself and in her car. she said there would be no problem
another older lady there said that she carried and had no problem with me having a gun.

but as we went to check out i noticed one of the other women there was very nervous. which made me think that she was the one that complained. i was trying to be very nice to her. she made a comment about my mother being with me and me being the baby of the family. in which case my mother pipes up and says "oh don't say that he liables to shoot you":banghead::banghead::banghead:. so we left. i know my mother had no idea that she had said something wrong ( she is 82). but, then again the woman that had spoken to me was so positive about carry she felt better about me carrying.

Last edited:

Law_Abiding_Citizen

i was out to kill several birds with one stone, by going to Salem, VA to see my son and go to the gun show with the VCDL. i took my mother (to see her grandson). he had not made it from church yet, so i took my mother to Goodwill. while we were there ( for a good while too). a women came up to me and asked if i had a permit for my gun. in which case, i replied that no i did not. she kinda of looked stunned for a moment. so i volunteered that you did not have to have a permit in VA to carry a firearm.
she went on to explain that a "customer had said something about it made her nervous. i said that was a shame. that she did not have to worry about one that is holstered and not being hid. she said she totally agreed, that she had guns herself and in her car. she said there would be no problem
another older lady there said that she carried and had no problem with me having a gun.

but as we went to check out i noticed one of the other women there was very nervous. which made me think that she was the one that complained. i was trying to be very nice to her. she made a comment about my mother being with me and me being the baby of the family. in which case my mother pipes up and says "oh don't say that he liables to shoot you":banghead::banghead::banghead:. so we left. i know my mother had no idea that she had said something wrong ( she is 82). but, then again the woman that had spoken to me was so positive about carry she felt better about me carrying.

Nice story, enjoyed hearing about the trip to Goodwill. Heh your mom sounds about like my mammaw, she don't think nothing of what she said cause back in the day it used to be funny to everyone. But with the whole world as it now is. But the older folks are the best, where would we be without them? =P

And Grapeshot, read your own links man. Please before you go saying "This can't happen" Here is a direct quote from the Discovery link, first post too I might add....

"i am currently watching a old episode of myth busters that shows them shooting buster with a shotgun and a .50 cal and him not getting blown backwards. i myself have seen this actually happen when i was stationed in IRAQ, but the person did not get blown back 6 feet. it was more like 3 feet and the shooter was only a foot away from the person also, and yes like it showed the shooter did also get pushed backwards from the close range. but it is possible i just dont see the 6 feet plus like they show in movies.

They do get knocked backwards, as I stated "pick them up and carry them" was NOT met literal. I love people that don't read their own $hit. -Rolls eyes.- Now that you have your own proof shoved back in your face, maybe you will stop being a ridiculus little twerp. And as this thread is concerned, it is about OC not about how far the fat man flies across the room.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now that you have your own proof shoved back in your face, maybe you will stop being a ridiculus little twerp. And as this thread is concerned, it is about OC not about how far the fat man flies across the room.

Boy....you just shot yourself in the foot with a big gun!
Don't get too comfortable here!:lol::lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let me tell you a little about Grapeshot.

He's the single most active gun rights figure, certainly from Fredricksburg South and probably in the state, we have.

He dedicates a fair amount of time every single day to some gun rights activity. He is at every event, every important hearing at the General Assembly, every protest and when there's nothing else to do, he visits anti gun establishments and tries to turn their way of thinking. Often successfully.

He was in the Hospital last year, literally at deaths door and he still managed to challenge the anti gun policy there.

He's on the Board of Directors of VCDL and is the single most moderating voice there. He and a couple of others are the only thing that keep VCDL focused on all gun owners rather than just CHiPpers.

Grapeshot is one of those people who you can always count on,. He'll not only give you his last dollar, he'll borrow more if you need it.

I seriously doubt he'll pull rank for that comment but just to let you know, you thanked the Admins for changing your title, the Moderator did it and you just called him a "Little Twerp".

Status
Not open for further replies.