• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't buy "suicide by cop." I just can't see that thought process.

"I'll bait a cop into grabbing my door handle, so he can shoot me as I drive away minding my own business."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-74 [emphasis added] (and see bolded portion for additional relevance to this subject)

§ 19.2-74. Issuance and service of summons in place of warrant in misdemeanor case; issuance of summons by special policemen and conservators of the peace.
A. 1. Whenever any person is detained by or is in the custody of an arresting officer for any violation committed in such officer's presence which offense is a violation of any county, city or town ordinance or of any provision of this Code punishable as a Class 1 or Class 2 misdemeanor or any other misdemeanor for which he may receive a jail sentence, except as otherwise provided in Title 46.2, or for offenses listed in subsection D of § 19.2-81, or an arrest on a warrant charging an offense for which a summons may be issued, and when specifically authorized by the judicial officer issuing the warrant, the arresting officer shall take the name and address of such person and issue a summons or otherwise notify him in writing to appear at a time and place to be specified in such summons or notice. Upon the giving by such person of his written promise to appear at such time and place, the officer shall forthwith release him from custody. However, if any such person shall fail or refuse to discontinue the unlawful act, the officer may proceed according to the provisions of § 19.2-82.
Anything in this section to the contrary notwithstanding, if any person is believed by the arresting officer to be likely to disregard a summons issued under the provisions of this subsection, or if any person is reasonably believed by the arresting officer to be likely to cause harm to himself or to any other person, a magistrate or other issuing authority having jurisdiction shall proceed according to the provisions of § 19.2-82.
2. Whenever any person is detained by or is in the custody of an arresting officer for a violation of any county, city, or town ordinance or of any provision of this Code, punishable as a Class 3 or Class 4 misdemeanor or any other misdemeanor for which he cannot receive a jail sentence, except as otherwise provided in Title 46.2, or to the offense of public drunkenness as defined in § 18.2-388, the arresting officer shall take the name and address of such person and issue a summons or otherwise notify him in writing to appear at a time and place to be specified in such summons or notice. Upon the giving of such person of his written promise to appear at such time and place, the officer shall forthwith release him from custody. However, if any such person shall fail or refuse to discontinue the unlawful act, the officer may proceed according to the provisions of § 19.2-82.
3. Any person so summoned shall not be held in custody after the issuance of such summons for the purpose of complying with the requirements of Chapter 23 (§ 19.2-387 et seq.) of this title. Reports to the Central Criminal Records Exchange concerning such persons shall be made after a disposition of guilt is entered as provided for in § 19.2-390.
Any person refusing to give such written promise to appear under the provisions of this section shall be taken immediately by the arresting or other police officer before a magistrate or other issuing authority having jurisdiction, who shall proceed according to provisions of § 19.2-82.
Any person who willfully violates his written promise to appear, given in accordance with this section, shall be treated in accordance with the provisions of § 19.2-128, regardless of the disposition of, and in addition to, the charge upon which he was originally arrested.
Any person charged with committing any violation of § 18.2-407 may be arrested and immediately brought before a magistrate who shall proceed as provided in § 19.2-82.
B. Special policemen of the counties as provided in § 15.2-1737, special policemen or conservators of the peace appointed under Chapter 2 (§ 19.2-12 et seq.) of this title and special policemen appointed by authority of a city's charter may issue summonses pursuant to this section, if such officers are in uniform, or displaying a badge of office. On application, the chief law-enforcement officer of the county or city shall supply each officer with a supply of summons forms, for which such officer shall account pursuant to regulation of such chief law-enforcement officer.
C. The summons used by a law-enforcement officer pursuant to this section shall be in form the same as the uniform summons for motor vehicle law violations as prescribed pursuant to § 46.2-388.

In order for the officer to issue the summons he must have reasonable information about the identity of the person so arrested. If the officer has reason to believe a false name or address has been given he may detain the individual for the purpose of ascertaining true identity. This may involve either cross-checking an "identity document" issued to the arrestee or being held while fingerprints (usually) are checked. Why, you ask, might an officer want to be sure that the name and address given are correct?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-82.1

Any person who falsely identifies himself to a law-enforcement officer with the intent to deceive the law-enforcement officer as to his real identity after having been lawfully detained and after being requested to identify himself by a law-enforcement officer, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
To be sure that another crime is not being committed in the presence of the officer, of course!:p

So there is no statutory requirement to hand over "your papers" - but they may be requested to verify that you are who you say you are if the arresting officer has reason to question the identification you have provided. That brings us into the realm of procedure as opposed to statute. What, short of being brought downtown and held until a report on your fingerprints comes back from VSP and/or FBI would satisfy the officer that you are who you said you were?

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I believe under disclosure and discovery, the surprises of the prosecution will be held to a minimum.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_26

Virginia doesn't go by the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure. Ordinarily in Virginia, criminal cases are very much governed by the rules of "trial by ambush". In this case, however, the facts are pretty well laid out, and there are really only minor differences of perception about exactly what happened. E.g., was the cop's left hand on the door handle or the right? How many feet into the street did he actually go after the Jeep passed him? Most of the physical facts are well-documented, and there's not really much room for controversy. The question really has to do with the law to be applied to those facts, which governs how the whole system of facts will be characterized.

In many ways, this is exactly the kind of case I've been telling people about for years: if you're involved in a defensive shooting, and you were right to do what you did, then there's no point in dancing around the fact of the homicide. That's the eight-hundred pound gorilla in the room; everybody already knows about that and it's just plain silly to try to dodge that issue. The real question is why, from the point of view of the person on trial, did it happen? That's what we're going to be arguing about in this case.

I think both sides laid out their whole case, pretty much, in the bond hearing. I don't know who all the Commonwealth's witnesses are, but I think I know what they're going to say, and I know where the bullets ended up in the decedant, and how they got there. I think that's why the newsfaces have put this case on the back burner. I noticed that on the day of the hearing, there was a good bit of reportage at five pm, much less at six pm, and nothing at 11. I think that's because we've taken the air out of their drama-balloon. There's no more mystery, no more drama, no more entertainment value, and no more car and detergent advertising dollars in this case.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Cite, please.

Skid's absolutely right. § 19.2-74 requires a person to identify himself in order to be let go with a summons. It doesn't strictly require production of an operator's license, however the suspect in this case was operating a motor vehicle and was required to turn over the license upon demand pursuant to § 46.2-104.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I don't buy "suicide by cop." I just can't see that thought process.

"I'll bait a cop into grabbing my door handle, so he can shoot me as I drive away minding my own business."

There had apparently been a number of such incidents involving the same suspect in recent times prior to this one. So the issue is not about baiting the cop into grabbing the door handle, it's about baiting the cop into sticking his arm into the car long enough to roll the window up on his hand and start driving away with him attached to the car, and then ignoring his attempt to open the door and his loudly repeated orders to stop the car, so that he'd have to shoot. My suspicion has been that this was just the first of several cops who was trusting enough to take the bait.

By the way, the one witness who said on the news that the officer's left hand was on the door handle is their "throwaway" witness. The Commonwealth doesn't want their really good witnesses exposed to news attention, and this guy was their least credible, having a history that makes anything he says under oath subject to collateral attack. His angle of vision actually precluded him from being able to see all of what happened, anyway. Besides, the officer's hand was injured in a way that is consistent with his version of what happened, and fragments of his hairs and blood were found in the window channel.

I'm not saying I'm invested in that theory, absent more facts, but that's the explanation for my suspicion.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Not to monkey up the game of our esteemed (genuinely) friend User, but I do feel compelled to point out that the words creeping around are a bit evaluative. They're a bit like the police favorite furtive movement.

A movement is a movement. Whether it is furtive or not is injected by person who views the movement. Its gotten so bad that pretty much any movement you make with your hands during a police encounter can be characterized as furtive. The point here is that when a cop reports a furtive movement he's deliberately injecting his evaluation about the movement rather than describing the movement and letting the judge or listener decide (evaluate) whether it was furtive. A clinically sterile description of a physical universe occurrence is called relating the facts. A fact is a fact. An evaluation is an evaluation.

I can't easily see a 54 year old woman creeping around much of anything in broad daylight.

And, the sunshade. Plenty of times I wished I had one. If I was going to be waiting for a little while in the sun, I might put it up myself.

I think a middle aged woman with no ties to that church or school, poking around the building and peering at the children through the windows is pretty creepy. And those sunshades are pretty cheap, you can get one at the dollar store - just don't go driving down East Street (one block over from Main) down toward Davis Street with the thing still blocking your view, since the intersection of Davis and Main is the big one in beautiful downtown Culpeper where there's likely to be the greatest number of pedestrians.

Fortunately, in this context, I am allowed to state my personal views and opinions (and that is, of course, all they are); I can't do that at trial. And, in this context, that's pretty much all I'm doing is spouting off about my own personal views and opinions. That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere, I reckon.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
By the way, I wonder if anyone's read the civil complaint filed in Culpeper Circuit Ct. for Mr. Cook's wrongful death suit? I'm thinking there's a lot of stuff in there that, well, my client says is just plain false, but it's stuff that is obviously just made-up. Even if true, there's just no way anyone could possibly have known what the facts were in some of those allegations. I wonder if anyone else has been puzzled by that?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee most anywhere, I reckon.

That and free refills........for which you've already paid.

Thanks for the clarification on Rules of Criminal Procedure vs "trial by ambush" in Virginia courts. :uhoh:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Citizen

Cite, please.

Skid has provided that and more; however, if something is commonly known though, a cite is not necessary. Showing DL when requested and when operating a vehicle is common knowledge. That's my story.

Anything in this section to the contrary notwithstanding, if any person is believed by the arresting officer to be likely to disregard a summons issued under the provisions of this subsection, or if any person is reasonably believed by the arresting officer to be likely to cause harm to himself or to any other person, a magistrate or other issuing authority having jurisdiction shall proceed according to the provisions of § 19.2-82.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By the way, I wonder if anyone's read the civil complaint filed in Culpeper Circuit Ct. for Mr. Cook's wrongful death suit? I'm thinking there's a lot of stuff in there that, well, my client says is just plain false, but it's stuff that is obviously just made-up. Even if true, there's just no way anyone could possibly have known what the facts were in some of those allegations. I wonder if anyone else has been puzzled by that?

Noticed some "assumptions." Isn't literary license part n' parcel of civil suits?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Sometimes it's difficult for the layperson to understand the legal issues and that is why we have legal representation. It does not matter that the officer had his hand in the window against policy (if so), it matters that she started to roll up the window.

OK, now what about the shots he fired after she was rolling out of the parking lot, and he was no longer in contact with her vehicle?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I read it Dan and I can't imagine why it was filed when it was. Really getting the cart before the horse.
Neither he or his attorney were privy to the facts than I am.
It appears it was based on rumor and gossip more than anything else.

user

Accomplished Advocate
OK, now what about the shots he fired after she was rolling out of the parking lot, and he was no longer in contact with her vehicle?

You mean at the time that she was a fleeing felon accelerating down a public street with a sunscreen completely covering her windshield towards the most densely trafficked part of Culpeper? That is, while there was one pedestrian who's been identified to the Commonwealth as an eyewitness approaching the scene and two cars coming up the road according to another? Let's see, now: assaulting a police officer; abduction; escape from lawful detention by force; malicious wounding; attempted capital murder; obstruction of justice; and disregarding an order by a police officer to stop the vehicle; seven felonies in all, some of them pretty serious, and obviously intentionally or recklessly endangering the lives of the public. You must mean those shots. The ones that stopped her from killing someone.

I think there's must be a reason why we pay money to issue guns to cops in order to do their law-enforcement duties. It's not just about self-defense. Because if it were about the lives of the cops themselves, we taxpayers wouldn't pay money for that. We pay money to have them protect us from people like this felon. That's what this cop did, proving the old adage, "no good deed goes unpunished."

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I read it Dan and I can't imagine why it was filed when it was. Really getting the cart before the horse.
Neither he or his attorney were privy to the facts than I am.
It appears it was based on rumor and gossip more than anything else.

I reckon we'll have to start doing some discovery.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I reckon we'll have to start doing some discovery.

Even though there is a lower burden of proof in the civil case, I think the facts that may come out in the criminal case would nullify the majority of their claims.

I can think of one right now that will be hard for them to explain...again, if the gossip is close to correct.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even though there is a lower burden of proof in the civil case, I think the facts that may come out in the criminal case would nullify the majority of their claims.

I can think of one right now that will be hard for them to explain...again, if the gossip is close to correct.

:cool:

sawah

What makes this case difficult, from my (mostly uneducated) perspective is that it's not about Mrs Cook, it's about the officer. Can he prove his allegations of her commission of several felonies? Can he show that he was dragged, trapped, injured, had her vehicle used on him as a weapon? Can he show he had RAS to shoot just due to his impression that she had a limited view due to the sunscreen and would have recklessly disregarded pedestrians and hit oncoming traffic HAD HE NOT SHOT her twice already?

Now, I don't know if that's a mitigating circumstance. Had he not shot her, she could have taken down the sun screen, presumably. She was not in high speed flight, she had no discernible reason to run over pedestrians, yada, yada.

If we just assume, for the sake of argument, that he was not trapped, his hand was not caught, then how does the case pan out? To me it pretty much falls apart, i.e. he had no legitimate cause to shoot her (except for the fact that being shot by him twice, she was now an impaired driver). So, again, for the sake of argument, if a cop illicitly shoots you and your car goes out of control, does he have the right to rapid fire to kill the driver and thus stop the car, when it's his actions which caused the car to become a deadly missile?

This seems tortuous, and I think a jury will have trouble figuring this out. I guess it depends on the instructions the judge gives them.