• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Perchase Permit?

frodo0602

I'm new to NC gun laws. I'm trying to understand the purpose of the purchase permit. Why does the state use this system instead of going with a normal NICS check done at the dealer's store. Cany someone explain this to me?

moonie

Old Jim Crow throwback law. It allowed Sheriffs to decide who was good enough to purchase a pistol, outdated today.

carolina guy

I suppose what I would like to know is why nobody has challenged this law (mostly for lack of uniformity) or simply pushed the GA into just adopting a slightly higher sales tax (county option, of course) on pistol purchases if it is still about revenue?

Somehow this just smacks of a violation of the 2A since it only applies to pistols and not long arms.

bc.cruiser

Somehow this just smacks of a violation of the 2A since it only applies to pistols and not long arms.

Since the 2A does not define the arms you have the right to bear, it is not a violation. You can bear a long gun without getting the PPP, and you can also bear a handgun without a PPP. You just can't buy one.

buzzsaw

I suppose what I would like to know is why nobody has challenged this law (mostly for lack of uniformity) or simply pushed the GA into just adopting a slightly higher sales tax (county option, of course) on pistol purchases if it is still about revenue?

There have been several attempts by the GRNC organization to get this changed in the GA which have been fought vigorously by the Sheriffs association. Its not about guns its about control. That and over 100 years of control of the GA by the party displaced from power in the last election just about explains it all.

carolina guy

Since the 2A does not define the arms you have the right to bear, it is not a violation. You can bear a long gun without getting the PPP, and you can also bear a handgun without a PPP. You just can't buy one.

I am not sure that it would not take much more than a sharp attorney making the point that the RTKBA has a necessary 1st step of acquisition. Can one as easily carry a rifle in as many places as a pistol? If not, then ... :) If one cannot qualify for one type of useful firearm because of a "choice" of a sheriff...especially since it requires a license and the other type does not...to me, this smacks of "infringement" without a strong "compelling" government interest.

ScottE

It is revenue for the state. That's it.

In MN there is no cost at all for a Permit to Purchase. I just submitted one last week.

A Carry Permit in MN though is $100, and is good for 5 years, with a renewal being $75 for 5 years.

Last edited:

frodo0602

Yeah, i read how it got started, old Jim Crow law, but I think it's just in place STILL because it brings revenue into the Sheriff's Dept and keeps control with them. People with power never want to let it go. I would love to see it challenged though. I would prefer to give extra money to my beloved gun store owners. Thanks for the responses! I'm reading through the sheriff's dept publication of gun laws: http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf

So i may have more questions for clarification later on.

ncwabbit

forgive the query frodo0602 but a citizen from north las vegas is concerned about nc's ppp laws cause they are thinking of getting a deal on a firearm here?

the system works, atf has bitten off as acceptable enough so ffls do not have to run nics check on the purchaser...

caronia guy...care to foot the bill for the sharp lawyer (pun intended)

wabbit

cricketdad

forgive the query frodo0602 but a citizen from north las vegas is concerned about nc's ppp laws cause they are thinking of getting a deal on a firearm here?

the system works, atf has bitten off as acceptable enough so ffls do not have to run nics check on the purchaser...

caronia guy...care to foot the bill for the sharp lawyer (pun intended)

wabbit

3 grand will get you started.

carolina guy

I am taking donations. :)

Heck $3k will get a nice little start on an FFL...although I like the idea I saw being floated for the MI board where they are going to do private purchases at gun "buy backs"... any gun buy backs in NC??

frodo0602

i'll be moving to NC june of next year. just trying to get informed before i move. nevada doesn't have purchase permit, and a couple other laws.

frodo0602

Sounds like good planning. Does Nevada have concealed carry permits? if so, pick one up too. ;-)

they do, but Arizona is cheaper and easier, especially for military :) i'll get one for when i can only carry concealed and i still want to protect myself and family, but i will always carry open if it's an option. I mean this site IS Open Carry.org ;)