• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disclosure And Disarmed

END_THE_FED

.......I told dispatch that I was armed. When the officers arrived, the officer immediately told me to put my hand on my head asked where the gun was and disarmed me. I demanded that the employee move away from me, and he refused...I was on the phone with 911 and told them I was armed and to tell him to move away from me...gave him the phone and they told him to move away from me..........
(my emphasis)

Were you using your own phone for this call or a payphone/store phone.
If this was your phone why would you hand it to someone who just assaulted you? I would be worried that they would steal it. (the biggest danger here isn't the loss of a phone, but consider the data about you that may be in the phone such as your contact list, call log, appointments, pictures of your family etc.)

Also why would you expect them to listen to a 911 operator anymore then they listen to you?

What are the laws in Utah on Pepper Spray? I know you wouldn't of had time to pull it out to prevent the attack, but you probably would have been justified in spraying him when he wouldn't let you leave.

Utah_Patriot

Pepper spray inside a store would be a bad decision. First you need to consider who would be affected then it would require evacuation and clean up.

Consider this a crowded store with lots of people can you account for each round fired and where they might go. Does his actions warrant deadly force to be used. This is all information important to know.

Reading this further your actions were appropriate considering your surroundings. Please consider following up with the department who responded with any concerns you have and of course the store where this occurred.

Please follow up with the while incident when possible.

END_THE_FED

.............Pepper spray inside a store would be a bad decision. First you need to consider who would be affected then it would require evacuation and clean up..........

Good point, pepper spray in enclosed spaces should be avoided whenever possible, but I was picturing this indecent happening just outside the store or in the parking lot.

I once had to spray someone just outside of a store (I was working security).
After I sprayed and cuffed him I had to walk him through the store to the bathroom.
Just the fumes coming off of him was enough to have some customers and cashiers coughing.

Then of course there was the guy I sprayed who it didn't even effect. He wiped it off and said "hey, why'd you get me wet".

Beretta92FSLady

(my emphasis)

Were you using your own phone for this call or a payphone/store phone.
If this was your phone why would you hand it to someone who just assaulted you? I would be worried that they would steal it. (the biggest danger here isn't the loss of a phone, but consider the data about you that may be in the phone such as your contact list, call log, appointments, pictures of your family etc.)

Also why would you expect them to listen to a 911 operator anymore then they listen to you?

What are the laws in Utah on Pepper Spray? I know you wouldn't of had time to pull it out to prevent the attack, but you probably would have been justified in spraying him when he wouldn't let you leave.

I am sorry...the manager of security arrived after the assault and I handed the phone to the manager, not the guy who assaulted me. The man who assaulted me was not security, just a regular employee. The manager directed the employee who assaulted me to step away from me, after I handed him the phone and he talked to dispatch.

It happened inside of the store. I might be a bit old-fashioned but my cell phone only has phone numbers in it...it isn't one of those fancy ones that most people carry around that has their whole life on it lol. I tried to find a cellphone that had no camera on it, that's how uninterested I am in cellphone technology.

I do not carry pepper spray...I have really bad allergies and breathing issues most of the year, and the last thing I want is to have any of that stuff sprayed onto me either directly or indirectly.

END_THE_FED

I am sorry...the manager of security arrived after the assault and I handed the phone to the manager, not the guy who assaulted me. The man who assaulted me was not security, just a regular employee. The manager directed the employee who assaulted me to step away from me, after I handed him the phone and he talked to dispatch.

It happened inside of the store. I might be a bit old-fashioned but my cell phone only has phone numbers in it...it isn't one of those fancy ones that most people carry around that has their whole life on it lol. I tried to find a cellphone that had no camera on it, that's how uninterested I am in cellphone technology.

I do not carry pepper spray...I have really bad allergies and breathing issues most of the year, and the last thing I want is to have any of that stuff sprayed onto me either directly or indirectly.

Yeah I am kind of the same way with my cell. I just buy whatever cheap one I can find, but I did finally break down and get one with a keyboard because I started txting after needing it for work. Never thought it would happen but it did, it is pretty convenient some times.

k31

it sounds to me (i dont have all the facts) that you did the right thing no one here knows to the t what was said or done you were there if you felt that you could disolve it with your phone great
dont always be to hasty with a firearm it is a last resort not for the use out of lack of better thoughts the fact that you had a weapon and chose not to draw it should help you in you case in court should it go that far
but on the same token if it was worse than i asume i hope you chose not to draw it for something other than fear
i hope all goes well for you
wish i could have seen his face when you pulled it out :D

carracer

Wow! I can't imagine what circumstances would lead to an employee blind-siding you like that! this could be a lottery win! Not that that is what is intended.

Beretta92FSLady

I went to the store to exchange a faulty sewing machine that I had purchased from them. I got the sticker at the front door before I walked to the customer service to exchange. I went through the process of exchanging the item. The cashier told me to go out the same door I came in, that they would not give me a receipt of exchange, but that i would be fine.

I approached the door (keep in mind I have a big box in both my hands), and a man jumped in front of me and demanded a receipt. I told him that I exchanged the item and that they do not give a receipt for exchange. He told me that he still needs to see a receipt...I then repeated myself, and told him to move, that I had exchanged the item. He then grabbed hold of me, I told him to leave me alone, let me go (something to that affect)I turned to my side and he pushed me into the door, I began to fall and was walking quickly to catch myself, he was following along side of me then pushed me again into the hand sanitizer dispenser rack, I fell into it, cut my hand and twisted my back (which still hurts).

I then demanded that he get the hell away from me, but he wouldn't, i was still holding the machine in my hands. I demanded that he call the police, and he said that he is...he didn't. So I got my phone and called the police. I demanded that he move away from me, multiple times, but he wouldn't, so I told dispatch that I am armed, and that i want this man that just assaulted me to move away from me...she told his manager that the man needs to move away from me.

The officer asked the man if he or anyone had seen me take the item and attempt to walk out with it, without paying for it, the man said no. The officer asked if there was video footage, of course there was, of me doing everything legit.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

wow did you ask to have the police press charges. Did you speak with Wal-Mart to see if they would make this right to you.

I asked the officer about pressing charges...I filled out the police report, then the officer gave me all the information. I have to go in to talk to them tomorrow about what is going on, and request the reports and video footage.

The manager was rubbing his face as he heard the employee tell the officer that he had pushed me, and what he had done. The manager of security told me that if I need anything to let him know.

What a freaking pain in the ass.

CharleyMarbles

WOW ! ! ! I would offer Wall-mart exactly ONE chance to make it right then I would sue the hell out of them .

As for barney bad ass I would press charges for assult period no apology accepted. He had no grounds for laying hands on you at best he could fallow you to get your plate number for the LEO's to fallow up if need be. However after reviewing the video it would have been the end of it.

Be sure to get a full police report and ask local LEA how to get the tapes retained as evidance.

This is just how I would proceed if it had happened to me YMMV :)

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I try to always keep a tactical mind...I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt, and I shouldn't have...I had no business rendering myself unable to defend myself by carrying that big box. The again, you don't expect to be assaulted, no one ever does I suppose.

Now, when I go through the freaking door to leave, my adrenaline gets pumping a bit. I hate confrontations, and exchanges like that.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

well ill be,,,,

hi 92 lady!
i cant even remember your first avatar,, and i liked the drawing since it looked so much like you!

you have been victimized!
get some help, dont talk too much, ask for help and advice.
write to sudden valley gunner, gogdawgs, m1gunr, and especially navylt!
our favorite lawer is olypendrew,
ya gotta look these guys up, tell em, ask em, they will know.
find out how to get foia and cop radio, 911 calls etc,,,,
that store is a big box, and a deep pocket.
not just for you, but for all, there corp. policy sucks and is arbitrary.
knocking down a woman, and acting in the assultive manner you were treated is CRIMINAL!!!
we will stand up and help you through this.
best not to file charges before getting your info.

Last edited:

MKEgal

That employee will be losing his job shortly, if he hasn't already.

IIRC, WalMart policy (as with any private security force) does NOT allow for physical apprehension of suspected thieves, so he had no business touching you EVER, AT ALL.

In fact, in order to even try to ask you to stop, to get your license # or something like that, they have to have eyes on you from the time you (supposedly) stole whatever it is until the time you leave the store w/o paying. If they lose sight of you for a second, they're SOL.

Since you didn't steal anything, and in fact conversed with the clerk doing the exchange about a receipt, & s/he wouldn't give you one, you are completely in the clear & the attacking employee is in the lower level of the outhouse. The security manager knows this.

Back injuries can be tricky, can linger & cause problems long after you think they're resolved. Be sure whatever agreement you come to with WM includes either ongoing medical care or a sizable amount to cover future needs. Oh, and make sure the sewing machine works right; if not, they can exchange it yet again for one that does.

Beretta92FSLady

I went and made a request for the LEO report and my statement. The statement from everyone else is considered private information. I requested the video footage and the woman at the desk told me that there was none. I told her that there was video footage, that I watched it...she just looked at me with a blank stare...gotta love Bureaucracies.

Last edited: