• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry driving a riding lawnmower

littlewolf

The US Government handed out subsidies to farmers up to 50k , CUTTING YOUR LAWN qualified as FARMING so the Lawn Tractor (proper definition ) is qualified as a impliment of husbandry.
Any **** house lawer could prove this !

Interceptor_Knight

The US Government handed out subsidies to farmers up to 50k , CUTTING YOUR LAWN qualified as FARMING so the Lawn Tractor (proper definition ) is qualified as a impliment of husbandry.
Any **** house lawer could prove this !

If you will notice, that exception expired on June 30th 2010. It is a moot point.
Let's assume for just one moment that it did not yet expire (which it has). Unless you were in a rural area where it was legal to discharge a firearm, you still would not have been able to take advantage of the exception. It was an exception for shooting animals, not a general carry exception. If you may not shoot animals, you may not even carry.

littlewolf

If you will notice, that exception expired on June 30th 2010. It is a moot point.
Let's assume for just one moment that it did not yet expire (which it has). Unless you were in a rural area where it was legal to discharge a firearm, you still would not have been able to take advantage of the exception. It was an exception for shooting animals, not a general carry exception. If you may not shoot animals, you may not even carry.

Well I'm zoned AG so I'm good !
Gotta keep the kritters under control ya know...

littlewolf

Let me put this another way. Today's date is July 5th 2011 which is after June 30, 2010 when the exception expired. This means that you are not good to go as there is no exception which you may take avantage of.

My tractor (340.01(16) ) , My Property, Open Carry, Good to Go ! the OP did not say CC on lawn mower but OC on Lawn Mower UP NORTH !

One polock to another GO for IT !!!!!

Interceptor_Knight

My tractor (340.01(16) ) , My Property, Open Carry, Good to Go ! the OP did not say CC on lawn mower but OC on Lawn Mower UP NORTH !

One polock to another GO for IT !!!!!
A tractor is still a "Vehicle" and there is no exception for private property, even Up Nort... 167.31... You are prohibited from the Open Carry of a firearm in your tractor...

GlockRDH

I think youre failing to see or acknowledge the defination of the word 'may'... it means that youre 'allowed to'...and garden tractors ARE NOT allowed to be registered for use on roadways... (im sure you remember raising your hand in school and asking your teacher 'Can I go to the bathroom'. To which her response is 'I dont know CAN you?'..then youd reply, 'MAY i go to the bathroom?'..hence obtaining her permission...and allowing you to use the facilities and NOT pee your pants....Thus the definition of 'May' as opposed to 'can'

Interceptor_Knight

I think youre failing to see or acknowledge the defination of the word 'may'... it means that youre 'allowed to'...and garden tractors ARE NOT allowed to be registered for use on roadways... (im sure you remember raising your hand in school and asking your teacher 'Can I go to the bathroom'. To which her response is 'I dont know CAN you?'..then youd reply, 'MAY i go to the bathroom?'..hence obtaining her permission...and allowing you to use the facilities and NOT pee your pants....Thus the definition of 'May' as opposed to 'can'
100% wishful thinking. You are ignoring the other definition of the word "may" which is "have the ability to". It is this definition which is used when enforcing 167.31. If it has the ability to transport people or property whether being drawn or it provides its own motion, it is a vehicle. That is why the DNR does not consider a car with the engine removed and is on blocks a "vehicle" for the purposes of 167.31 even if it is licensed and registered.

Fallschirjmäger

We have posted the definition of "vehicle" literally dozens of times.... it is getting kind of silly because people refuse to look up the Statute even though it is provided over and over.... The definition of vehicle has ZERO to do with legally operated.

Vehicle includes your kid's Hot Wheels and Radio Flyer wagon... It is nearly anything with wheels..

"340.01 Words and phrases defined
(74) “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains."

So, golf carts without lights, turn signals, or license plates may be operated on the public highway?
And Hot Wheels cars and Radio Flyer wagons are permitted to operate on roads with speeds up to.... 40mph?

As a poster recently pointed out "May" and "Can" mean different things.
One "Can" rob a bank, all it takes is a note demanding cash. But one "May Not" rob a bank, as that's a prohibited behavior.

Interceptor_Knight

"340.01 Words and phrases defined
(74) “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains."

So, golf carts without lights, turn signals, or license plates may be operated on the public highway?
And Hot Wheels cars and Radio Flyer wagons are permitted to operate on roads with speeds up to.... 40mph?

As a poster recently pointed out "May" and "Can" mean different things.
One "Can" rob a bank, all it takes is a note demanding cash. But one "May Not" rob a bank, as that's a prohibited behavior.

340.01 is an old definition which has not been updated in a long time. "May" means "have the ability to" and is not indicative of being legally allowed to do so. One simply has to look at how it is enforced to see that it is wishful thinking to twist its meaning to indicate only those devices which may be "lawfully" operated on the highway..
Individuals may rationalize however they wish and their odds of ever being cited are pretty slim if they are in very rural areas. This does not change the reality regarding the letter of the law though.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

100% wishful thinking. You are ignoring the other definition of the word "may" which is "have the ability to". It is this definition which is used when enforcing 167.31. If it has the ability to transport people or property whether being drawn or it provides its own motion, it is a vehicle. That is why the DNR does not consider a car with the engine removed and is on blocks a "vehicle" for the purposes of 167.31 even if it is licensed and registered.

As the great Inigo Montoya was wont to say "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
The definition of CAN is "to have the ability to" as in 'can I go to the bathroom, Teacher?"
The definition of MAY is "to have permission to do so" as in 'Yes, Billy you MAY leave class to go to the toilet."

We use "can" to indicate capability or possibility, e.g. "I don't know if I can lift this piano by myself." The implication here is on whether you have the physical capacity or mental acuity to get the piano lifted. "May" is used when you are asking permission, "May I lift your piano for a little exercise?" Here you wish the permission of someone to carry out an action.

I'm pretty sure the DNR doesn't consider a 747 a vehicle as even though it can physically move down a road that's wide enough and reinforced enough (and even if not, it Could travel an inch or two, I'm sure) but it is not permitted to travel down the road, the may part of the equation.

An automobile with it's motor removed and up on blocks is physically unable to go down the road by itself, hence the DNR isn't even worried about it.

GlockRDH

LOL...youre TOO FUNNY! Im not ignoring the 'other definition'...im going with the ACTUAL definition...im guessing you dont care to be shown that youre WRONG on the definition of a word?

littlewolf

I KNEW I sensed greatness eminating from you sir.

I moved here 5 1/2 years ago, Co. Sheriff drove thru once. showed up 2hours after I called in a property damage only accident hit and run on my property ! I'll carry on my tractor, atv, riding mower,bicycle,wheel barrow, on mama's back if she lets me!
And thank YOU SIR for your utilizing your advanced senses !

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Even A Child's Wagon Is A "Vehicle" IAW The DNR Of Wisconsin....

Link: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/regs/deer.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom of page 4 for the DNR definition of a "vehicle": includes any device, motorized or not, in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or towed upon a highway or other roadway.

Then scroll down to page 20 for "ARMS TRANSPORTATION". It is very clear that we cannot open carry on any "vehicle" as defined by the DNR.

Somewhere in the DNR website there is a discussion about a child's wagon being a "vehicle" IAW their rule. If it has wheels it is a "vehicle".

Interceptor_Knight

Here is the other thing which is being conveniently ignored. As a "tractor" or "implement of husbandry", a lawn tractor may (is allowed to) be operated upon the highway (temporarily in the course of performance of its work) even though it is not titled for highway operation. 341.05 exempts Farm Tractors from Registration.

.and garden tractors ARE NOT allowed to be registered for use on roadways... '
The Statute says nothing about being "registered for use". It simply says "device by which ....may be transported or drawn upon a highway"...

Last edited:

hermannr

guys, I'm WA not WI, but I don't understand the argument, on your own property, WI restricts you? I find that hard to take....In WA, your property is your property, Sheriff better have a GOOD reason to be on your property and try to tell you what you can or cannot do. Not even in Seattle would the police say anything, if you were on your own property (or, with permission, anyones private property) permit or no permit. Public highway, yes; private road, property, no way.

BTW: A mower is a piece of agricultural equipment. Look up the dicitionary definition of "horticulture" My lawn isn't any different than my pasture, except I use a machine and not an animal to keep it trimmed. My "lawn mower" is a "garden" tractor, with a mower mounted under it, rather than a field mower that usually is pulled behind a larger machine.

Interceptor_Knight

guys, I'm WA not WI, but I don't understand the argument, on your own property, WI restricts you? I find that hard to take....In WA, your property is your property, Sheriff better have a GOOD reason to be on your property and try to tell you what you can or cannot do. Not even in Seattle would the police say anything, if you were on your own property (or, with permission, anyones private property) permit or no permit. Public highway, yes; private road, property, no way.

BTW: A mower is a piece of agricultural equipment. Look up the dicitionary definition of "horticulture" My lawn isn't any different than my pasture, except I use a machine and not an animal to keep it trimmed. My "lawn mower" is a "garden" tractor, with a mower mounted under it, rather than a field mower that usually is pulled behind a larger machine.

Yes... It may be difficult to understand if you are not a WI resident subject to all of the WI "laws", but it is irrelevant that you are on your property as there is no exception to allow it. It is also irrelevant that a mower is a piece of agricultural equipment. It is still considered a vehicle according to WI Statute. Farmers often need to utilize the "highway" in order to travel from their farm to field with their agricultural equipment. Farmers are not required to register this equipment for highway operation.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
Link: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hunt/regs/deer.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom of page 4 for the DNR definition of a "vehicle": includes any device, motorized or not, in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or towed upon a highway or other roadway.

Then scroll down to page 20 for "ARMS TRANSPORTATION". It is very clear that we cannot open carry on any "vehicle" as defined by the DNR.

Somewhere in the DNR website there is a discussion about a child's wagon being a "vehicle" IAW their rule. If it has wheels it is a "vehicle".

I wonder if they include skates, roller blades and skateboards?:lol: Sounds like the DNR are very anal

Attachments

• arse.jpg
    arse.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: