• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry driving a riding lawnmower

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I wonder if they include skates, roller blades and skateboards?:lol: Sounds like the DNR are very anal
You don't know the half of it! :banghead: They have staked out a little kingdom in Wisconsin.... Or as they like to say, "Off with their heads!" Or, "let them eat cake!" It's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog, and we're past being fed up with it.... If we can keep the Republican majority long enough I think you're going to see some major blowback against the DNR after we take care of some more pressing matters.

Da Po-lock

Being that 2 mountain lions were verified by MI DNR not 2 mi across the river from me and 3 separate wolf packs surrounding us
I load
I holster
I mow

........chewed up by mosquitos Po-lock

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
IIRC...Doesn't Washington Now REQUIRE Persons To Have A D.L. Even If On Their Own....

guys, I'm WA not WI, but I don't understand the argument, on your own property, WI restricts you? I find that hard to take....In WA, your property is your property, Sheriff better have a GOOD reason to be on your property and try to tell you what you can or cannot do. Not even in Seattle would the police say anything, if you were on your own property (or, with permission, anyones private property) permit or no permit. Public highway, yes; private road, property, no way.

BTW: A mower is a piece of agricultural equipment. Look up the dicitionary definition of "horticulture" My lawn isn't any different than my pasture, except I use a machine and not an animal to keep it trimmed. My "lawn mower" is a "garden" tractor, with a mower mounted under it, rather than a field mower that usually is pulled behind a larger machine.

private property? I seem to remember that Washington passed a law within the past 10 years that stated a person must have a drivers license to drive a vehicle even on their own private property. I could be wrong. It has been a while since I lived in Washington.

Fallschirjmäger

340.01 is an old definition which has not been updated in a long time. "May" means "have the ability to" and is not indicative of being legally allowed to do so. One simply has to look at how it is enforced to see that it is wishful thinking to twist its meaning to indicate only those devices which may be "lawfully" operated on the highway..
Individuals may rationalize however they wish and their odds of ever being cited are pretty slim if they are in very rural areas. This does not change the reality regarding the letter of the law though.

100% pure bunkum, Interceptor, and you should know better.
may
aux.v. Past tense might (mt)
1. To be allowed or permitted to: May I take a swim? Yes, you may.
2. Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or possibility: It may rain this afternoon.
3. Used to express a desire or fervent wish: Long may he live!
4. Used to express contingency, purpose, or result in clauses introduced by that or so that: expressing ideas so that the average person may understand.
5. To be obliged; must. Used in statutes, deeds, and other legal documents. See Usage Note at can.

Can
a. Used to indicate physical or mental ability: I can carry both suitcases. Can you remember the war?
b. Used to indicate possession of a specified power, right, or privilege: The President can veto congressional bills.
c. Used to indicate possession of a specified capability or skill: I can tune the harpsichord as well as play it.
a. Used to indicate possibility or probability: I wonder if my long lost neighbor can still be alive. Such things can and do happen.
b. Used casually to indicate that which is permitted, as by conscience or feelings: One can hardly blame you for being upset.
c. Used to indicate probability or possibility under the specified circumstances

I can illustrate the difference quite succinctly - -
I can shoot and kill anyone I want (we can use Interceptor as an example). I have a firearm, ammunition, the ability and skill at arms to do so.
However, I may not legally do so, because neither the state nor he has given me permission to do so.
Something we're both pretty happy about, especially considering the cost of ammo now days.

"...Usage Note: Generations of grammarians and teachers have insisted that can should be used only to express the capacity to do something, and that may must be used to express permission. But children do not use can to ask permission out of a desire to be stubbornly perverse. They have learned it as an idiomatic expression from adults: After you clean your room, you can go outside and play. As part of the spoken language, this use of can is perfectly acceptable. This is especially true for negative questions, such as [i[Can't I have the car tonight[/i]? probably because using mayn't instead of can't sounds unnatural. Nevertheless, in more formal usage the distinction between can and may still has many adherents. Only 21 percent of the Usage Panel accepts can instead of may in the sentence Can I take another week to submit the application? The heightened formality of may sometimes highlights the speaker's role in giving permission. You may leave the room when you are finished implies that permission is given by the speaker. You can leave the room when you are finished implies that permission is part of a rule or policy rather than a decision on the speaker's part. For this reason, may sees considerable use in official announcements: Students may pick up the application forms tomorrow..."

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

May-
1. (used to express possibility): It may rain.
2.(used to express wish or prayer): May you live to an old age
3.(used to express ability or power.) Fallschirmjäger may be transported by a Garden Tractor down the highway while Openly Carrying his handgun but this would be illegal as WI Statute dicates that it must be unloaded and encased in order to lawfully do so.

/thread

Last edited: