• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skidmark proceeding to trial - Sept 13th, 2011

riverrat10k

The above is actually very important to understand, because a nolle prosequi is not identical to dismissal with prejudice. The code section is written as:

Good cause is key. Many courts effectively rubber-stamp the motion -- this allows the CA a Do-Over. Not good for us.

Here, the court refused to play along, so "the judge had made a good decision" is indeed an important comment.

Knowing this, there has been at least one attempt in the General Assembly to strike the good cause clause, which obviously would give every CA in the Commonwealth enormous power over each and every defendant.

Under those circumstances, the Sword of Damocles trumps the Bolt of Zeus.

P.S. -- A new opinion on Brandishing (conviction reversed and vacated).

Repeater, I agree, once I understood what this meant. At first I was shocked that User would not accept. It was later explained to me. How it was done was very interesting. The CA offered up the nolle pros. very early in the proceeding, before all the other motions were discussed. The judge said he would reserve judgement on the motion at that time. Rest of arguements ensued. Near the end, the judge announced he would now rule on CA's motion, and that it WAS NOT GRANTED. The CA said "Withdrawn, withdrawn." The judge said you can't withdraw your motion, I have to rule on it or ALLOW you to withdraw it (very close to what was said, User's court recorder will have it verbatim.) I thought this was very significant.

VAlitigator

Paramedic, User isn't using a particlar game plan, he's being the kind of lawyer they all should be.

He's practicing law and doing it well. The Judge seems to be a good one and the CA is NOT!

Cutting deals is for guilty people and lazy lawyers.

If it is still Judge Zepkin, he taught Virginia Procedure at William & Mary Law School for years. Suffice to say he knows what he's doing :)

Last edited:

riverrat10k

It is Zepkin.

Sidebar--at the beginning of proceedings, counsel for Securiguard (forgot his name) informed the judge that he was a former student, and apologized in advance for any proceedural errors!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sidebar--at the beginning of proceedings, counsel for Securiguard (forgot his name) informed the judge that he was a former student, and apologized in advance for any proceedural errors!

That's called sucking up to da judge. Wonder what his GPA was?

All American Nightmare

Did I say PRICELESS:lol::lol::lol::lol:

apoin4.jpg

Paradise (rewritten by Peter Nap)

When I was a boy my family would travel
Into' Eastern Virginia where my parents were born

To a lost little town there that's often remembered
So many times that my memory is warm

And daddy won't ya take me back to Surry County
Down by the James river where Paradise lay

He said I'm sorry my son but yer too late in askin'
Mr. Poindexter's' Ferry has hauled it away

Well sometimes we travel right down the James river
To the abandoned old Courthouse down by a big hill
Where the air smelled like snakes an' we'd shoot off our pistols
But empty pop bottles is all we would kill

And daddy won't ya take me back to Surry County
Down by the James river where Paradise lay

He said I'm sorry my son but yer too late in askin'
Mr. Poindexter's' Ferry has hauled it away
Who is that guy? He has meaty legs :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Who is that guy? He has meaty legs :lol:

I heard the Judge wouldn't let those pasty legs in his courtroom until he went to the hardware store and bought some proper pants.

That's sad because if you look at a video of the last trial date, there was a local going in that looked like he was wearing his pajamas.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How are things looking finically? Is there a need for more donations? I can't be there in person, but want to continue to support the cause.

Because of the extended time factor and other circumstances effecting this, we are reactivating the "donate" button for any who wish to contribute. Most definitely we do not want to come up short.

Skidmark's Legal Defense Fund
Anyone wishing to contribute should send a check to:

Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, Va. 20137

Checks should be made out to "VLD Attorney Escrow", with a notation on the memo line that it's for Skidmark (Paul Henick). Just writing "Henick" will be sufficient. All such checks will be deposited into the attorney-trust account on Paul's behalf and as his property; anyone who does so should understand that this is not tax deductible, and that it's an irrevocable gift to Paul. If there's money left over at the end of all this, it will go to him.

....................................OR

Send your contributions via PayPa

Be sure you click the PERSONAL tab, and then click the GIFT button, This will eliminate PayPal taking a cut of your contribution.

All American Nightmare

I heard the Judge wouldn't let those pasty legs in his courtroom until he went to the hardware store and bought some proper pants.

That's sad because if you look at a video of the last trial date, there was a local going in that looked like he was wearing his pajamas.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Pasty legs are better than chicken legs :lol::p

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Anyone wishing to contribute should send a check to:

Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, Va. 20137

Checks should be made out to "VLD Attorney Escrow", with a notation on the memo line that it's for Skidmark (Paul Henick). Just writing "Henick" will be sufficient. All such checks will be deposited into the attorney-trust account on Paul's behalf and as his property; anyone who does so should understand that this is not tax deductible, and that it's an irrevocable gift to Paul. If there's money left over at the end of all this, it will go to him.

....................................OR

Send your contributions via PayPa

Be sure you click the PERSONAL tab, and then click the GIFT button, This will eliminate PayPal taking a cut of your contribution.

Chap

Question about Pay Pal

The attached Pay Pal button didn't seem to give me the ability to select the Personal or Gift options.

So I opened my PayPal account, I noticed under the (Send money TAB) I found the "Personal TAB" and "Gift" radio button as suggested.

I just need to double check that Aksar-ben@hotmail.com the correct e-mail address?

Is this the correct place to send money for Skidmark?

Thanks for any replies to ensure Skidmark gets all my donation.

Chap

Last edited:

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
The attached Pay Pal button didn't seem to give me the ability to select the Personal or Gift options.

So I opened my PayPal account, I noticed under the (Send money TAB) I found the "Personal TAB" and "Gift" radio button as suggested.

I just need to double check that Aksar-ben@hotmail.com the correct e-mail address?

Is this the correct place to send money for Skidmark?

Thanks for any replies to ensure Skidmark gets all my donation.

Chap
correct

Chap

Thanks Ed

I saw you were online and was hoping you'd reply.

My finger was hovering over the send button just now. Just needed to be sure, it's not much but it all adds up in the end.

It went through :D, thanks.

Chap