• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skidmark proceeding to trial - Sept 13th, 2011

MR Redenck

Great going Skidmark and friends.
Now yall have case law to support pointing your finger at idiots while making sure they know they are idiots. :banana:

I hope you get awarded lost of cash for the trouble those A-holes caused you.
Justice is sweet today.

Last edited:

DocDaddy

Congrats Skid and User! Looking forward to hearing more details of the trial! What a relief for you, your family, friends, and the great people of OCDO!!! Off to bed now!

Happy Carrying!

Deadcenter45

Mark one down for the good guys, congratulations!

Android + Tapatalk

ETA:

thbananadance.gif
woohoo.gif
cheers.gif
mosh.gif

grouphug.gif

Last edited:

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Congratulations to Skidmark and User on a battle well-fought and won!! (and certainly credit to those supporters who made their victory possible in so many various ways)

Looking forward to the documentary!

2a4all

Who is elected by the people? Judges? Sorry, not in Virginia. All are appointed that I'm aware of.

Hmm, that sucks. Here is WI they are elected.

You guys need to elect good reps then. http://www.judicialselection.us/judicial_selection/methods/selection_of_judges.cfm?state=VA

One system isn't really better than the other. About half of the states appoint judges, the other half elect them. Obviously, neither the appointment scheme nor the election scheme is the same everywhere it's used. And each has it pitfalls.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Details at dinner tonight, and later on for all the correspondents at sea.

Basics are: 1) motion to dismiss did not fly as there just was not enough to show that someone specific was responsible for ether a) saving the video or b) preventing the video from no longer being available. 2) The complainant was in apprehension of some harm but the defendant did nothing to, for, with, about a gun to make the complainant feel the apprehension he felt.

NOT GUILTY as the Commonwealth failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that both elements of the crime were present.

I have no idea if the Commonwealth's witnesses were liars or just not telling the truth. There is a distinction, but the Commonwelath Attorney was having a difficult time understanding that.

User will be by - probably tomorrow - to give the exceedingly fne details.

I'd just like to close for now by saying "THANK YOU" to erveryone who supported me through this ordeal. I'll post more later, but right now I need to decompress, try to catch my breath, and get ready for dinner.

stay safe.

wrightme

Having been in only a very few 'legal proceedings,' all of which were of short duration, I can only imagine the stress you have felt, and the relief you now feel. I, for one, appreciate your fortitude in standing firm.

va_tazdad

2 questions????

OK, I was a good boy while all this was playing out. Now I want answers.

1. Why is the Commonwealth's Attorney afraid of Santa Clause?

2. Why is a man who testified under oath that he is always afraid working an armed "high stress" security job??????

Glad I suffered thru the CA whining to see Skid vindicated finally!!!!!!!!!!

;>)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Having been in only a very few 'legal proceedings,' all of which were of short duration, I can only imagine the stress you have felt, and the relief you now feel. I, for one, appreciate your fortitude in standing firm.

Yeah, but this isn't one of those short ones. I just got home in time to swap lenses and get new batteries before the dinner.

45acpForMe

The court room decisions, objections, rulings kept going back and forth which made the day exhausting to watch. I can't imagine Skidmarks emotions during all this. After the denial to dismiss Skid looked at me (during the break) and I was afraid for his health.

First, the judge didn't dismiss because the video evidence wasn't preserved. The woman that viewed monitors said it was fuzzy and she couldn't see Skidmark doing anything other than talking to the security guard. So in my opinion she was a witness that said that she saw no crime even though it was her job to watch the interaction! It was maddening since any video can be enhanced AND even fuzzy video could show whether he touched/fondled/held his gun or not. Also it was only her opinion that it was fuzzy that the judge used to say the evidence probably wouldn't have been helpful. I have to think they have multiple cameras that cross each other but we will never know. This is a part of the case that stinks and we have no recourse to their lack of evidence preservation even though User specifically told them that the evidence was crucial to his defense of Skidmark (to which they agreed before it wasn't saved).

Second during the trial (which seemed to move faster than the morning hearing) with no evidence other than he said she said it became clear to me that the security guards story changed over time. On the stand today he actually said that Skidmark had touched his gun, then amended his statement and said as his arm passed it he touched it. I thought in earlier interviews everyone agreed that Skidmark never touched his gun. User pointed this out and in the end it is what the judge agreed with that even though the officer was in fear it wasn't because Skidmark made any overt act with-or-refering-to his gun to cause the fear. The judge even mentioned that armed people are allowed to get into arguments too.

Congratulations Skidmark & User!

With that said the other side did present a case and to the casual observer having 6 people come up and testify against Skidmark it could have gone the other way. Some told what they knew, others may have lied or at least have a very different memory of how things happened. In my opinion one damning thing against their case was if Skidmark had brandished, he never would have been allowed to leave just to be arrested later. Based on the evidence I saw and the lack of catching them in any direct lie I don't know that Skidmark will win any civil suits but that is best decided by User. All in all a charge that never should have been brought was killed which is better than nothing.

I hope the OC dinner tonight is a BIG celebration!