• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Carolina Flyer

sultan62

A few notes about the current document:

Both Pages:
Inconsistent use of capitalization in bold titles. Either the first letter should be capitalized only, or all significant words. (This excludes articles, etc.) My recommendation would be to just capitalize the first letter.

Page One:
Reference numbers after Cary and Chapel Hill should be in superscript.
"Does North Carolina honor my state's permit?
I would also recommend adding a note that a current list is available at http://www.ncdoj.com

Page Two:
In column two, numbers 7 and 8 apply to concealed carry, like number 9.

Lastly, hopefully we'll be able to change the information about carry in restaurants before long!

1911-ACP

Reciprocity Additions/Correction

Thank you for compiling this flyer! It is succinct and exactly what I was looking for...

Please consider the following additions/corrections in the reciprocity section according to the latest information from the North Carolina Department of Justice:

http://www.ncdoj.com/About-DOJ/Law-...ment-Liason/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

Add IA
Correction- MT (Montana), not MN (Minnesota)
Add WY

Best Regards!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

JayT

Awesome work!

Thank you very much! I'm new to the site (and OCing)... This flyer is a great addition to my carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you very much! I'm new to the site (and OCing)... This flyer is a great addition to my carrying.

Be on the lookout for dinner/lunch/meet-ups in your area - check the NC forum regularly. These can be a great source of first hand, been there, recommendations.

Also check out Grass Roots North Carolina (GRNC), a very active, solid group.
http://www.grnc.org/

Sc0tt

LOL I googled it. There are tons of articles about it but not one from a major news cource. All sources quoted in the articles are "A trusted source" or Somone who remains nameless. These articles present no truth in the form of verifiable facts.

If you going to post somthing so outlandish back it up

Dreamer

Thank you for compiling this flyer! It is succinct and exactly what I was looking for...

Please consider the following additions/corrections in the reciprocity section according to the latest information from the North Carolina Department of Justice:

http://www.ncdoj.com/About-DOJ/Law-...ment-Liason/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

Add IA
Correction- MT (Montana), not MN (Minnesota)
Add WY

Best Regards!

Good catch. I'll make the changes and forward the files to the appropriate people...

I also missed NE (Nebraska), so I'll add that one too. North Carolina has reciprocity with 34 states!

Last edited:

Dreamer

Good observation and I will add many of your suggestions. I don't know how the capitalization thing slipped by--I'm usually a sticler for typography like that...

However, on this item, I disagree, and forward the proposition that your interpretation is incorrect:

Page Two:
In column two, numbers 7 and 8 apply to concealed carry, like number 9.

Both of these reference 14-415.11(c), which is the Section in NCGS that addresses CHP permit requirements and limitations.

This section references sseveral other statutes, to say that having an NC CHP DOES NOT give you exemption from these "prohibited places". They are:

§ 14‑269.2. Weapons on campus or other educational property.

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (which hopefully will get nuked this Session)

§ 14‑269.4. Weapons on State property and in courthouses.

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.

All these sections list the "prohibited places" for carry in NC, and all of these Statutes prohibit carry in ANY mode--OC or CC.

They are listed in 14-415.11(c) to say that having a CHP DOES NOT exempt you from the prohibition, and since these Statutes already prohibit OC (and CC) in certain places, if you're OCing and don't have a permit, then the fact that a permit doesn't exempt you is just extra info that you don't need to know.

Lastly, hopefully we'll be able to change the information about carry in restaurants before long!

Yes.

Up with HB-111

Down with §14-269.3!!!

sultan62

What statute(s) ban(s) all forms of carry in LEAs and all state buildings? Federal buildings, of course, are a different story.

Dreamer

What statute(s) ban(s) all forms of carry in LEAs and all state buildings? Federal buildings, of course, are a different story.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-415.11.html

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.
(a) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law. The person shall carry the permit together with valid identification whenever the person is carrying a concealed handgun, shall disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun when approached or addressed by the officer, and shall display both the permit and the proper identification upon the request of a law enforcement officer. In addition to these requirements, a military permittee whose permit has expired during deployment may carry a concealed handgun during the 90 days following the end of deployment and before the permit is renewed provided the permittee also displays proof of deployment to any law enforcement officer.
(b) The sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to a person who qualifies for a permit under G.S. 14‑415.12. The permit shall be valid throughout the State for a period of five years from the date of issuance.

(c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, and 14‑277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120‑32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state‑owned rest areas or state‑owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee.
[FONT=Times New (W1)](1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3.)[/FONT]
Interestingly enough I have yet to find a statute that prohibits OC in a LEA building. And every LEA office I've seen that is posted all have "No CONCEALED Firearms" signs rather than the more generic "No Firearms" gun-busters type signs...

I actually brought this up to the Pitt County Sheriffs office a few months ago, and they insisted it was illegal to carry in ANY mode in an LEA facility. I asked them to cite the statute, and they would not (probably be cause no such statute exists...)

But the AG seems to believe it is prohibited, and says as much in the "Handbook" (without cite), and all LEOs seem to think it is the law too, but can't (or won't) cite the statute that prohibits it...

But I'm not really willing to be a "test case" on this one...

Last edited:

sultan62

My point that we are discussing is that OC is not by statute unlawful in the areas specified by numbers 7 and 8, just like 9, which is financial institutions.

condeist

OK so perhaps I am going blind, but where is the flyer? Is there a link, or some way to download it? I do not see any way to view it in the OP or the other posts.

Thanks

1911-ACP

Updated version?

Is there an updated version out there anywhere yet? This is great, and I am passing them out, but I have to get the pen out and make corrections on each and it doesn't look as good... Thanks so much!

dmatting

Is there an updated version out there anywhere yet? This is great, and I am passing them out, but I have to get the pen out and make corrections on each and it doesn't look as good... Thanks so much!

What corrections are you making? If you are making corrections due to HB650 I hope you are also adding that the changes go into effect on Dec 1.

1911-ACP

Corrections...

What corrections are you making? If you are making corrections due to HB650 I hope you are also adding that the changes go into effect on Dec 1.

Nope... Just the corrections mentioned earlier in the thread, mainly notating the most recent reciprocality. Looking forward to Dec 1, though!

Sean Whitfield

How can I view the flyer, I don't see it or a link to it anywhere??? Sorry I'm new to this site and these forums

NVM, I found the link on the 3rd page to the flyer. Not really sure if its updated but it'll work anyways since I feel like so many ppl in my town are ignorant to open carry.

Last edited: