• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are you carrying that firearm?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
No worries, some people don't deserve courtesy; like those who walk up to strangers and talk about business that is none of theirs...

In going back over and reading your posts over the past couple of pages, I really like your candor when in the face of not-so-polite questions/comments. If someone honestly asks me some questions in a polite manner, which when this occurs they nearly always are polite, then I avoid any sort of sarcastic answer and try to be as helpful as I can... even comical at times. I want to do what I can to get them to see us as just ordinary folks who have taken the decision to exercise our more fundamental and basic of rights.

But in the face of someone who obviously has a predetermined position and an axe to grind with "gun people", then your approach of such directness is perfect. Good job. I'm going to have to remember these little quips if I can should the occasion ever arise. Hitting them with the bare naked truth is most likely the only way you are likely to get them to see your side and leave you alone.

Good job.

Last edited:

FMJ 911

I Open carry because:

#1: I live in the "Woods", and there's wild animals all around.

#2: There's bad guys that want to hurt innocent citizens such as myself.

#3: It's my legal right to do so. "Rights are like Muscles, They disappear if you don't exercise them.".

gunns

"Well, it just seems like common sense to me."

Even though I've been OCing for two years, I still haven't encountered many confused people about this. 95% of the time if someone says something, it is POSITIVE, and along the lines of:

"Wow, I've never seen a chick pack before." (this remark usually said by a young thug)
or a simple "Good for you" with a smile.
or "What kind of gun is that?"

In fact, I think I have only been asked "why" once. Being a smaller young female who does not drive (I bicycle everywhere - a sarcastic woohoo for spandex!), I figure it is obvious why I am carrying.

Openly carried Gun = very effective anti-creep device

Nice! I needed a good chuckle (supportive chuckle). I have never heard "anti-creep device" but I like it.

HILLBILLYDELUXE

A family friend asked me once why I bought my wife a gun.

"Because I'm scared and compensating for my inadequate manhood. I'm afraid that my giant serpent-like penis won't be able to fend off multiple attackers and protect my family when my penis and I are at work."

They didn't have much to say after that.

SouthernBoy

A family friend asked me once why I bought my wife a gun.

"Because I'm scared and compensating for my inadequate manhood. I'm afraid that my giant serpent-like penis won't be able to fend off multiple attackers and protect my family when my penis and I are at work."

They didn't have much to say after that.

"Because I love her."

That would work.

scruff

Founder's Club Member
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?
SouthernBoy, great sig! I know what I'd say now - "Because a cell phone won't save my life." That's just a nicer way of saying "Because if I'm in trouble, you guys can't do squat to protect me."

rscottie

About 13 years ago I was carrying my 4 inch Taurus .357 at a Service Station in Grayson KY and someone asked why I had that.

I said, "That?" "Oh, you mean my firearm." "Well, right now I cannot afford the 1911 that I want, but when I can, I will be carrying it."

They kinda huffed and went on.

I do not get to OC as much as I'd like due to my job. But, I will when I can.

SouthernBoy

SouthernBoy, great sig! I know what I'd say now - "Because a cell phone won't save my life." That's just a nicer way of saying "Because if I'm in trouble, you guys can't do squat to protect me."

Thanks.

Several years ago I asked a co-worker this same question, substituting "child" for "you". I pretty much knew he was and anti and he was a decent man. I don't recall how the question came up (could have been the VT shooting in April 2007) but I did pose this question to him. He agonized and twisted his face and you could tell he was trying to come up with something that would not compromise is core beliefs.

He finally answered with, "I'd rather neither of them had a gun". Of course, that escapes the essence of the question but in his mind, that was a good answer. After our conversation, I couldn't help but wonder if a situation like that came up what he'd really think.

scruff

Founder's Club Member
Thanks.

Several years ago I asked a co-worker this same question, substituting "child" for "you". I pretty much knew he was and anti and he was a decent man. I don't recall how the question came up (could have been the VT shooting in April 2007) but I did pose this question to him. He agonized and twisted his face and you could tell he was trying to come up with something that would not compromise is core beliefs.

He finally answered with, "I'd rather neither of them had a gun". Of course, that escapes the essence of the question but in his mind, that was a good answer. After our conversation, I couldn't help but wonder if a situation like that came up what he'd really think.

So his method of self defense is clicking his heels together and chanting "There's no place like home"? Think I'll stick with my M&P.

SouthernBoy

So his method of self defense is clicking his heels together and chanting "There's no place like home"? Think I'll stick with my M&P.

Yeah, I don't know. I tend to believe people like that prefer not to have to think about such things and consider what could happen and how they might react or behave. So they just don't go there.... until it's staring them in the face, in which case there's a very good chance it will be too late to do anything anyway. Natural selection does not suffer fools.

I should reiterate that he was a good man and someone I enjoyed talking to about other things.

SouthernBoy

I'm sure I wrote this before but a few months ago, I was having lunch in a Taco Bell and a man and his son came in. The father asked me, "Why do you carry like that?" to which I responded, "So I don't have to use it".

About two years ago, I was at a local Costco in line waiting for it to open. A little elderly lady saw my sidearm and asked, "Is that a gun?". Because she had a smile on her face when she said this I answered, "Gee, it better be. Otherwise I picked up the wrong thing when I left the house". She then said, "I'm going to stand close to you because I know I'll be safe" and she moved up right next to me. She was from Germany and came here after the war. Nice little lady.

HighFlyingA380

About two years ago, I was at a local Costco in line waiting for it to open. A little elderly lady saw my sidearm and asked, "Is that a gun?". Because she had a smile on her face when she said this I answered, "Gee, it better be. Otherwise I picked up the wrong thing when I left the house". She then said, "I'm going to stand close to you because I know I'll be safe" and she moved up right next to me. She was from Germany and came here after the war. Nice little lady.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

xmanhockey7

I'm carrying this firearm because my AR is just too big and the lack of trigger guard protection makes me just stick with handgun carry.

SovereignAxe

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

As much as I love that quote, I'm pretty sure it's fake. After I heard it I did a little research and I couldn't find a credible source that attributes it to Hitler.

the_hustleman

Protection.
Them- protection from what? Nobody is attacking you!
Me- Why do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? It's not on fire!
Them- just in case. You never know when something could happen
Me- same reason I carry this gun

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*