• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada Firearms Coalition Progress ?

CowboyKen

Can we LOCK this thread I don't have enough cheese to go with all this WHINE

If you find this thread bothers you why don't you just skip it instead of "WHINE"(ing) about it?

I have ongoing business here as to the documents I requested from NVFAC more then two weeks ago now.

Ken

Last edited:

Vegassteve

If you find this thread bothers you why don't you just skip it instead of "WHINE"(ing) about it?

I have ongoing business here as to the documents I requested from NVFAC more then two weeks ago now.

Ken

Exactly. No reason to lock it just because two guys keep having to get the last word in on each other .

The Big Guy

This is an important topic and the thread needs to remain open in case someone has some relevant information to disseminate. I am however tired of the endless banter. It is obvious there are no minds being changed with regard to the usefulness of the organization nor is there likely to be among the participants of this argument. I'm hoping that all the arguing over the same points will go away and those who are working to get answers from the source will let us know when they have something. I like others check the thread each time there is a new post in case there is some important new information, only to be hit with more of the same. This does nothing but divide us at a time when we need to stand together. Fight the fight your way if you must but don't bash those who fight it their way.

TBG

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Yet you TAKE time to badmouth that which is affiliated with those you dislike, though they are on our side, and are working towards 2a goals.

This is where I'm supposed to ask AGAIN what they have done, to give another push to this little playground merry-go-round.

Instead, I'm just going to stand back and watch for something that a reasonable person would consider to be progress.

wrightme

This is where I'm supposed to ask AGAIN what they have done, to give another push to this little playground merry-go-round.

Instead, I'm just going to stand back and watch for something that a reasonable person would consider to be progress.

No, that is where you should realize that you are still not doing what you should to assist in progression.

"Lead, Follow, or Get out of the Way."

For this new organization to have progress, they need numbers. If you are working against that in any way, you might as well join the Brady Bunch or the VPC.

SoLasVegas

Does anyone know if the coalition has published the results of the candidate questionnaires yet? I have looked all over the website and could not find any candidate responses.

Early voting started over a week ago. It would have been nice to see this info before then.

EDIT: The results were finally released and are now on the website, although it is only a letter grade assigned to each candidate and not the responses the candidates gave to each question. Some of the grades look questionable to me, and I would like to know how they were scored. Without knowing the scoring criteria, it is somewhat meaningless.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

mbogo470

vegassteve, et al.,

I have posted a thread with a link to the candidate ratings on the NFA/NVFAC members' forum and asked those same questions.

mbogo

CowboyKen

Three weeks

It has now been more then three weeks since I followed your advice and, using the NVFAC web-site contact page, asked for some information from the Treasurer.

I received what looks to me to be an automated e-mail response which says, "Thank you for contacting the Nevada Firearms Coalition. We will get back to you as soon as possible."

Then, 10 days ago, I received an e-mail from Don Turner. In it he told me that the "Our treasurer was on vacation." And, "Requests for records must be in writing. Please direct your written request to:," and giving the NVFAC's street address. I think Mr. Turner was implying that such requests had to be sent by snail mail.

In my reply to Mr. Turner, via e-mail, I said, "Please be advised that the IRS has updated its regulations to accommodate modern methods of communication." and that these include e-mail. I referred him to an appropriate IRS source for the wording of the relevant regulation.

That's it so far.

We will see.

Ken

Rollbar

Still waiting. Nothing yet.

We will see.

Ken

That is ridiculous :exclaim: IMHO

I remember your post about the email/asking through email etc but to cut out all excuses buy any, did you request it in writing :question:

CowboyKen

That is ridiculous :exclaim: IMHO

I remember your post about the email/asking through email etc but to cut out all excuses buy any, did you request it in writing :question:

IRS regulations (26CFR301.6104(d)-1(d)(2)(i)(A)) state that "in writing" includes via e-mail. I complied with the IRS regulations. Will the NVFAC comply with those regulations?

We will see.

Ken

Last edited:

CowboyKen

Well this tells the story!

Mr. Turner sent me an e-mail today (which I have copied below) telling me they are not going to provide the information that I requested. It seems that Larry Rhodes (varminter22) was wrong and the NVFAC is not qualified (at least yet) by the IRS as a 501(c)(4) non-profit entity. No financial information for me (or any of you either)!

Ken

E-mail I received today/
Don Turner
5:06 PM (58 minutes ago)

to me

In regards to your email below, our tax person reviewed the IRS regulations regarding your request. We were directed to advise you that according to IRS regulations, the forms you requested (having to do with establishment of 501 (c) n and associated documents) are not to be released until the IRS has made a determination of the 501(C) n applicability. We are still waiting their determination and they said it would take “several months.”

The most critical portion of the application and resultant determination are the “goals and purpose” of the origination. The ones detailed on the application are exactly the same as the “purpose & objectives” that are posted on the upper left tab of our web page that is open to all to inspect. We applied for 501(C) 4 status.

Consequently, we cannot comply with your request at the present time.

Thank you for your interest in the Nevada Firearms Coalition

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So does the TBD status prohibit them from fulfilling the request, or just make it so they don't have to yet?

usmcmustang

So does the TBD status prohibit them from fulfilling the request, or just make it so they don't have to yet?

Very interesting... they are not as of yet an IRS designated 501(c)(4), so they are not subject to the regulations applicable to such an organization. In other words, they are a corporation and have applied for 501(c)(4) status, but until that status is "granted" by IRS, they must "operate" as any other corporation. Hence, they don't have to be forthcoming with any financial statements that a 501(c)(4) corporation would. So, it seems to me that although they could be forthcoming... their option... they have chosen not to because at this point in time they are not required to.

If I got this wrong, please, somebody chime in.